What to do with 2 Pounds of Hamburger

Tater Tot Casserole!

2 pounds ground beef lightly salted (seasoned), fried and drained.
1 can Cream of Mushroom Soup or Cream of something else if one doesnt like mushies.
1 can green beans (French cut).
As many Tots as will fit on the top.

Fry the beef, drain, mix with soup and green beans. Put in a casserole dish and top with tots. Bake a 425 25-30 minutes or until tots are nicely browned.

Growing up my mother was a terrible cook as she worked several jobs and didnt have the time to prepare meals. This was my favorite meal that she made and i still make it from time to time.

And now im craving, @ 2AMā€¦ Dernnit. hehe

5 Likes

Blasphemy!
Everyone loves shrooms!:grinning:
I havenā€™t had a TTC in a while , I want now!
I also love the stuffed mushroom caps and bell peppers like @JoJo mentioned.The stuffed mushrooms I make turn out pretty good but my peppers never turn out like the ones my grandmother would makeā€¦and I use her recipe.
I miss my Niney and all the wonderful food she would cook for us.:cry:

7 Likes

My wife is one of the mushy hating weirdoā€™s, if we ever split up that will be the reasonā€¦ :wink:

Growing up i was always the one that was in the kitchen with granny, the only one that learned her recipes. Of course she never wrote them down, a pinch of this and a dash of that and bacon grease in everythingā€¦

Grannysā€¦
/me Pours out a little Strawnana Custard for Niney and Granny.

4 Likes

Niney wrote every thing down and I have her three index card recipe boxes but some must have got tweaked over the years.
Yup, always a container of bacon grease on her kitchen counter , I have it now and still use it , just not as often.:grinning:

3 Likes

Same here. Granny had a speshul blue tea cup she used to measure with for her buttermilk biscuits, it was from the set her mother used for the same thing. She gave it to me before she passed and it is one of my most valuable possessions.

5 Likes

The next time I need to cook with Ground Beef, Iā€™m coming back to this thread!

You guys are awesome with your ideasā€¦

Iā€™ve cooked dinner for my family for 35 yearsā€¦I just get so sick of coming up with ideas for food and then well, cooking it of course lol

Thanks you guys!

3 Likes

Iā€™ve done a couple bacon wrapped fatties in my smoker, never could get the bacon to crisp up though

3 Likes

I think Iā€™d stuff it a little differently, but definitely keep the mushies in it, maybe add more. If you put some strips of bbqā€™d chicken breast a little bbq sauce and some onions. Youā€™d have a pigcowen. Something to rival the Turducken. Do you do in a smoker, or on a bbq gril or are you doing it in the oven?

3 Likes

Was thinking the same thing and Iā€™m thinking pull it a lttle early and go over direct heat in the gas grill to crisp the bacon up. By the time you put if on the grill most of the fat should be rendered out of the bacon and probably not have much of a problem with flair ups.

2 Likes

Great idea! You could even put it on foil to keep the bacon ā€œstuckā€ together so it doesnā€™t get brittle and start falling off.

2 Likes

@CallMeTut , the two biggest problems for me is it cooking too fast , if that happens the cheese will actually boil out of the center, and getting the bacon to crisp up! :frowning:
The reason I didnā€™t take any pictures of that one after it cooked is because if you slice them before they cool down a little, the cheese will all run out of the center.So if you have some impatient or uninformed ā€œhelpersā€ donā€™t allow them near the knives! A smoked fatty is no good without the special ingredients in the center!:yum:

@GPC2012 I now cook mine in two parts using two separate cookers.I start off using a old Brinkman water smoker until it is fully cooked and then put it on a Char-Broil Big Easy 3 in 1 cooker just to crisp up the bacon and to put a kind of a ā€œbarkā€ on the outside of the fatty.:yum:

The Big Easy is touted as a smoker , roaster and a grill.It does the last two well , but smoking isnā€™t itā€™s strong suit as it cooks way too fast without doing some modifications.
I decided to buy a Big Easy after I sampled a friends turkey. It was just as juicy on the inside and just as crisp on the outside of the turkeys that I had deep fried. I was getting tired of having to go through all the hassle with the cleanup of my deep fryer.:unamused:
I thought that it would replace my old round water smoker.It didnā€™t but I have found it to be a nice grill as it sears wonderfully and it is good for adding a bark to meats that have been smoked.

1 Like

Empanadasā€¦
Samosasā€¦
Moussakaā€¦
Pot Stickersā€¦
Shepardā€™s pieā€¦
Asian Style Lettuce Cupsā€¦
Slidersā€¦
Dim Sumā€¦
Tostadasā€¦
Bologneseā€¦
Gnocchi Nicoiseā€¦
Ravioli/Lasagneā€¦
Stuffed Peppersā€¦
Beef Quesadillasā€¦
Manicottiā€¦
Enchiladasā€¦
Stuffed burgers/Meatballs/etc Good to freeze

Just to name a few off the top of my headā€¦

:wink:

5 Likes

If I wasnā€™t married Iā€™d want to marry you! Using a smoker and a grill, are you Bobby Jr ?

3 Likes

Not at all , I just enjoy grilling and I love to eat!:yum:

2 Likes

ļøļ¢
Bogey_Again:

Using a smoker and a grill, are you Bobby Jr ?

Not at all , I just enjoy grilling and I love to eat!:yum:
BH, youā€™re just too modest, I think he won last week on beat Boddy Flay. Heā€™s a real champion when it comes to grilling :smile:

2 Likes

Thank you but I assure you I am not a grill master by any stretch!

1 Like

Iā€™m going to have to cook bacon now, thanks a lot you guys!

2 Likes

The basic rule of thumb is that if a recipe calls for a pound of bacon to be cooked for the finished product then you need to buy and cook 2 lbs so after you eat half while you make it you still have enough to make it.

The other day I pre cooked 4 strips of bacon cut in half to do on our grilled burgers for dinner. About half way through grilling dinner I realized I had left the bacon inside so in my laziness I texted my wifey and asked her to bring the bacon out to me so I could finish it and put it under the cheese so it doesnā€™t fall off when eating. I finished dinner put the burgers together like I always do. As we got ready to retire to our cave away from the prying eyes of the dogs for a peaceful dinner my loving wifey decided that she wanted some pickles and onions on her burger I already had sliced onion out and like the good husband I am I got the pickle chips out of her. just as she got ready to put the top back on she got a funny look on her face and asked where the rest of the bacon was she only had three pieces on hers. It was then I had to confess and explain that one of them was the fee for cooking her dinner. She didnā€™t buy into that. She told me she was going to take one of mine the first time I set my burger down to eat some corn on the cob. Do you know how hard it is to eat hot corn on the cob with one hand is?

2 Likes

ā€œThe basic rule of thumb is that if a recipe calls for a pound of bacon to be cooked for the finished product then you need to buy and cook 2 lbs so after you eat half while you make it you still have enough to make it.ā€

I laughed out loud because my husband and I cook a whole package of bacon when we eat it so there is some left over. To this day we still argue over the crispness.

Why? We both came from families where there were arguments and hurt feelings over bacon. I literally watched my nephews almost punch each other out over a last piece of baconā€¦ it never made any sense to me the people in my family never just bought 2 packages of bacon for breakfast with 6 people in the house!

I mean seriously! What the hell were they thinking?

My mom and my husbands mom never used more than one skillet to cook it in so they were cooking like 9 pieces of it at a time and you waited and waited and waitedā€¦ while mom put the bacon on layers of paper towelsā€¦ and then 2 hours later she cooked the eggs and we were starving smelling bacon cooking for two hours!

The one thing you could do that made my mother crazy was to snatch a piece of cooked bacon before she was done cooking itā€¦ you had to be fast or she would chase you across the room.:joy::laughing:

2 Likes

If Iā€™m cooking for a crowd I do it on half sheet pans in the oven then when itā€™s almost done I pull it get two or three 12 to 14 inch skillets and dump in some of the fat and finish it on the stove. I have threatened to put a lock on my oven if people didnā€™t stay out of it while the bacon was cooking. Then eggs are a whole different matter. I do my eggs in one of my 5.5" egg pans that nobody but me uses. I cook eggs to order and scare the crap out of everybody cause I still flip them. My sons have already argued over who gets em when I go. I screw with them seriously and tell them that their step sisters beat em to the punch and have claimed them and I agreed to give them to them. I thought my sons were going to dis-own me. You can tell they were raised by me they have their knives that their wives are generally scared to use for fear of cutting an arm off and then there are the house knives. When we do a big thing at their house I still take my own knives. they have told me I can use theirs but I like mine.

3 Likes