When purchasing new batts

When purchasing new battery’s they come discharged, does everyone charge them fully even tho your not going to use them right away, or store them discharged?

3 Likes

I’m curious to know the answer to this as well. I just got four new sets from illumn that I think I’m gonna save till the ones I have bite the dust. I already charged them though. I know Apple (save the hate people :stuck_out_tongue: ) recommends that you discharge your laptop to 50% before storing long term and to charge to 50% every six months.

6 Likes

Great question. Curious as well. I normally pop them in a charger when received for a few minutes to just see if they register etc …never know. Then put them away in a case.

2 Likes

i guess it depends on how long you’re going to store them. i had 2 he4’s i stored for about 2 months. by that time they were so dead that they sat in the charger for over 48 hours before the charger would even recognize there were batteries in it. so idk if at some point they would be too dead to charge at all.

3 Likes

I am not sure of the proper storage myself but I have never had any batteries arrive fully discharged.When I get batteries in the mail they are usually around the 65-85% levels .I do check them on my charger to make sure they aren’t dead and store them in the cases until they are needed.
I have read it isn’t a good idea to leave them fully charged, iirc it has something to do with they will increase their charge levels at rest.I have also read that it isn’t a good idea to leave them discharged for a prolonged time but that is about the extent of what “I know” .:slight_smile:
EDIT .
Found this and it seems to go along with @JoJo and Apple! :smile:
https://www.easyacc.com/media-center/how-to-tore-18650-batteries-safely/

4 Likes

I have always heard to keep them charged as they will lose charge gradually over time and the longer they sit dead the less lifespan theyll have once charged again. If i get a battery that is dead i return it for one with a decent charge on it. Because, no telling how long it’s been sitting dead. Especially when it came to the ego style batteries back then, they have a minimum discharge before is begins damaging the cell(s) much like our 18650s. If you drain it to the safe limit then let it sit, itll slowly drain beyond that point over time still.

1 Like

I charge mine and use right away and work into the the rotation. What would happen if you get a bad battery that’s not holding a charge without using it Atleast once. But I don’t have a hudge number of batteries. Just my take.

At the same time, I don’t think I will not stock pile 18650’s but I think even with the fda regs on the way that is not me thing that will still be accessible. When I have a set that goes bad/no longer holding a charge I’ll replace them at that point.

2 Likes

Thanks
After reading your replies I got out 2 He4’s I bought in March and put them on the charger, they where at 3.64 going to give them a full charge. Hopefully there not damaged!

1 Like

BU-702: How to Store Batteries

Learn about storage temperatures and state-of-charge conditions.

The recommended storage temperature for most batteries is 15°C (59°F); the extreme allowable temperature is –40°C to 50°C (–40°C to 122°F) for most chemistries. While lead acid must always be kept at full charge during storage, nickel- and lithium-based chemistries should be stored at around a 40 percent state-of-charge (SoC). This minimizes age-related capacity loss while keeping the battery operational and allowing for some self-discharge.

While nickel-based batteries can be stored in a fully discharged state with no apparent side effect, Li-ion cannot dip below 2V/cell for any length of time. Copper shunts form inside the cells that can lead to elevated self-discharge or a partial electrical short. (See BU-802b: Elevated Self-discharge.) If recharged, the cells might become unstable, causing excessive heat or showing other anomalies. Li-ion batteries that have been under stress may function normally but are more sensitive to mechanical abuse. The liability for a failed battery goes to the manufacturer when a fault could have been caused by improper use and handling.

Finding the exact 40–50 percent SoC level to store Li-ion is not all that important. At 40 percent charge, most Li-ion has an OCV of 3.82V/cell measured at room temperature. To get the correct reading after a charge or discharge, rest the battery for 90 minutes before taking the reading. If this is not practical, overshoot the discharge voltage by 50mV or go 50mV higher on charge. This means discharging to 3.77V/cell or charging to 3.87V/cell at a C-rate of 1C or less. The rubber band effect will settle the voltage at roughly 3.82V. Figure 1 shows the typical discharge voltage of a Li-ion battery.

5 Likes

So after all that mumbo jumbo where my batteries ok stored for 5 months at 3.64 volts? And thanks for the info, it may sink in after I read it about 100 more times. :slight_smile:
Pro: did you ever get a pic of your wicking on the Boreas?

My batts where in the plastic case and cardboard box from Illum, and our house is never any warmer than 72deg.

They should be fine still at that voltage

1 Like

Now since I just put them on the charger should I charge them fully or take them back off, I dont plan on using them for a while, and I just got some new 25R’s and 30Q’s today.

1 Like

“Yes, you should charge your brand new batteries to full (4.2V) for their first use. Yes, the Nitecore D4 can charge these batteries and is sufficient. For 2-3 months of storage I recommend bringing them to around 40% charge, or 3.8V. They should be in a cool, dry place, optimally not exceeding 25 degrees C. If you will store them for longer, you may want to top them up every quarter to make sure they never drop below 2.5V. If you want to store them fully charged, do it at 4.1V – this is ok too (but slightly less efficient than 3.8V).”

This is a quote of a reply to a readers question in the comment section below the blog review of the LG HG2 battery. It may not be the same as all batteries we use but sounds to me on par with what @Pro_Vapes was just saying.

3 Likes

An interesting and informative read @Pro_Vapes thanks for the info

1 Like

Between Wifey and I we’ve got 22 active batteries, all but 4 are the high amp type, the 4 that are not were purchased before we started getting high wattage mods and are primarily for my mechs. I’ve got 5 sets living in sin as I could never afford the marriage license or the preacher to marry them. The rest are all confirmed bachalors and do it all by themselves. Wifey strangely doesn’t have any dual battery mods.

2 Likes

The five sets living in sin are monogamous thought I should let you know that.

1 Like

I get my Samsung 25R’s from nkon.nl and every single one of them was charged about 40%. I assume that’s how they store them and that they know what they’re doing so I store them like that too.

2 Likes