When to make a recipe public: WIP vs Tested and Ready

Howdy! I’ve been at this for a few months now, and this question has started to bubble up in my thoughts: Should I have waited until this thing was tested, true and complete? I’ve found myself hitting the make it public option right after mixing with no notes, then testing periodically, making notes, then I’ll switch it up, V1 becomes V2, release to public, then test with notes again, etc…
Opinions seem to vary between go ahead vs wait for perfection like a real final release. I’m still pretty new to this, so I’ve been ok with experimenting in public, asking for advice, tweaking it and revising, so far. And have learned a lot from helpful people who took the time to comment! But, now that I’m (kind of) getting the hang of this, would you folks recommend holding off until I’ve tested and tweaked? Does it matter for etiquette reasons?
I’m really just looking for general thoughts on the subject, since I couldn’t find a thread about it. Thanks for all the help so far, and for all to come!

7 Likes

I generally only make public a New recipe mix that has passed my initial taste test. Although I certainly don’t see any reason why you should not post your recipes immediately if you feel compelled to.
I definitely have adapted a prior posted public recipe. Particularly when a new or different concentrate becomes available. Example, when I first started mixing there was no Real Flavors (SC) line.
Here’s how I feel, I mix for my on benefit & enjoyment. I then share or make public the recipes I feel someone else may enjoy as well.

9 Likes

It may be nice if you atleast comment wip so if someone runs across it they know

10 Likes

Thanks, Mark. That sounds like a good process. I’ve noticed that most of the new recipes that pop up on the front page of the recipe side have no notes or comments, it seems like they all get burried in a heap of no-notes-having random recipes until you hit the ratings button.
I was thinking that if i spent some time and revised first, then at least I wouldn’t be adding to the heap. I’m imagining the higher ratio of quality recipes there would be if everyone tasted, tweaked and held off until there was a good recipe with insightful notes on the outcome!

5 Likes

Thanks! I actually had that thought, but haven’t made anything new in a bit. I’ll go back to my last batch soon to make that notation. Just sending them out into the world with a title and a recipe has been bothering me.

2 Likes

Well my recipes generally suck to begin with, but I normally don’t post them until I have gone through the final tester bottle (15ml) without having to dump it in the sink.
It doesn’t make sense to me if a recipe is posted without having done the mandatory steep process or having any clue what it tastes like. What you THINK might taste good, with such and such flavors mixed together, won’t necessarily come out that way. And a lot of that is directly related to flavor testing and percentage levels.
I also have this inherent fear of some newb DIYer adapting my recipe, discovering it tastes awful and gives up mixing forever because of it! LOL

8 Likes

I personally like to keep my recipes private until I’ve tested them and like them. Sometimes I’ll post it publicly really fast if I like it as a SNV, but I usually like to wait till it steeps. I’d at least make a note that its untested or a wip if you’re going to make it public. (I wish everyone would do that.)

11 Likes

I agree. Being very new to diy, I had been posting them mostly hoping I could learn something if somebody saw it and said, “Hey, you sure you want to do that with that?” But, nobody did that just from the recipe side, so I’d post them in a topic on the forum that related in order to ask for tips or comments, or show something I was actually liking and wanted to share. I’ll be holding back until I like it now. Thanks for the feedback!

4 Likes

Thinking I’ll hold them private now for at least 2 weeks or a month, unless it’s really mind-blowing on the day after mixing. I’ll be sure to specify WIP if it applies. That is solid advice. Trying to be a better, more useful ELR member and not clutter up the place with un-tested newbie recipes! You should see the recipes i still have in private, though, sheesh! There are some real stinkers I’m glad I kept to myself. There’s a peach cherry chai latte that I used about 15x the amount of chai in than I should have. Yowza!
:slight_smile: Thanks for the input!

6 Likes

Lol no kidding. I have 16 pages of recipes, and only two of those pages are public recipes. Probably 1/4 of the private ones I haven’t even made yet… :laughing:

7 Likes

Fuck man. Too late for that! LOL…Clutter is a very appropriate word.

2 Likes

It’s refreshing to see someone who is conscious not to want to clutter it up. You can always share your WIPs here Summer Vapes 2017 ! Let’s see them WIPs & Recipes

5 Likes

Looks like I agree with most on here like @mark_turner , and @VapeyMama, I have about 25 recipes but only 10 or so are public. And I always make notes while I’m testing and when I’m done testing I will summarize my notes into some kind of comment and send it out into the world. The main reason for me to do it that way is because I made a recipe one time that was great as a s&v but after 2 days it was really weird so I had to take it down and work on it. I had one recipe that I worked through 10 versions of until I deemed it worthy to cross anyone’s pallets. A recipe should always have some sort of comment to let us know steep time or main profile although most can see that by looking at the ingredients, there is one good thing about a recipes without notes it’s probably no good except as a s&v because if the author of that recipe is to lazy to put any comment at all then the recipe probably wasn’t tested besides the first puff after they mixed it. I have also brought up a problem I see with people posting the exact same recipe over and over with the only thing different being the nic level or amount being made like 30ml to 60ml. I think that anyone smart enough to do diy mixing should be able to adjust nic level or amount they want to make without all those copy’s out there. I don’t know of anyone who looks up a recipe by all those factors (ex. Unicorn milk 60ml 6mg nic) no they just look up unicorn milk. Sorry for the rant . Great topic btw

5 Likes

Also today is the first time I’ve seen that acronym WIP and WIP’s lol I have never had a favorite word but I love that word or acronym. WIP WIP WIP woo hoo

3 Likes

Good question. I’ve been pondering this as well lately. I’ve only been mixing for a few months now but pretty regularly and with intensity. I’ve got a little more than 20 recipes and the ones I like best have gone through many variations. So it’s more like 80 to 100… although I haven’t made any public yet. Today I just mixed my 9th variation on my favorite recipe so far. I’m nearly satisfied with it and a few others so I should be sharing some soon. :wink:

3 Likes

[quote=“Tony_the_tiger, post:13, topic:156081”]
…a problem I see with people posting the exact same recipe over and over with the only thing different being the nic level or amount being made…[/quote]

Agreed! Or how about this… You see a recipe that looks interesting, take a look at it and none of the flavors listed (which are usually spelled wrong) have a manufacturer associated with them.
Strawberry…
Cream…
Vanilla…
WTF? Which one of the dozens of those concentrates are you using??
:roll_eyes:
Sorry. Saw the rant wagon going by and had to jump on.

4 Likes

I only have two recipes that are public and I tested one for over 6 months tweaking it constantly until I made it public. After that I’ve adjusted that recipe 4 times to improve it making notes on exactly what was changed. Most of the changes were because it’s a clone ELEMENT Pink Lemonade clone (My ADV) and I’m always trying to improve it to make it as close to the original as possible.

Agree with everyone else here: If you have tested it after a decent steep and it tastes good to you then make it public (if you want to). If you get feedback and change anything make sure you document it. Personally I wouldn’t post any recipe without trying it first.

5 Likes

Thanks for all the replies, everybody! I will be vetting my recipes with far more scrutiny before releasing them into the wild. Cleaning up my current batch this week.

1 Like

I wouldn’t say you to to vet more. Just put wip…I like how this does “x” but I want to bring out z. More to come.

I appreciate wip’s. I don’t post mine, and I probably should…but I’m too much of a pussy to…I keep way to much on my home computer.

4 Likes

I can see how that would be helpful. Thanks!

1 Like