Where did the cotton go?

I am not familiar with NET vaping, will have to do some more reading! I have gotten my wicking down pretty well lately so changing the wick and or coils is not that big a deal. Will be rewicking more often anyway!

3 Likes

This is something i have experienced quite a bit, but most often when using sweeteners.

5 Likes

Topic here.

7 Likes

I can see in that topic that i am not the only one pointing at the sweetener.

6 Likes

Yeah, it has happened for me once. I was doing some test mix tasting and was trying to vape the wicks dry in TC mode, I apparently overdid it and got a dry hit from hell :nauseated_face: After this the RDA didn’t really work properly and when I checked the wicks, the whole centre was simply gone, probably burned away.

But simply disappearing without getting a nasty dry hit first? No that has happened to me, and I didn’t even know that it could happen.

6 Likes

Yep if you have not yet read this (I mean watched this video… thx to @atssec97~!) in the above mentioned Topic (Thx @Chrispdx!) maybe you need to pack more wick in there. Wick HARD!

5 Likes

Honestly I’ve never experienced this. But this is why God has gifted us with Temp Control. With a good understanding of how heat affects the resistance of your coil material, and the ability to control it you should almost never experience dry hits. And Evolv’s Replay technology takes it even a step further.

5 Likes

On my squonker after vaping for a couple of days citrus prominent mixes. Cotton just broke in the middle, but I didn’t got a dry hit. Only reason I noticed it was, all the sudden I got immense spit back.

It didn’t disappear. I do use Scottish roll but contact coils in my rda, since the deck isn’t big enough for spaced. Never had that issue with other juices, blaming it on the lemon cake :wink:

5 Likes

How much sucralose is in that lemon cake?

3 Likes

Yet another reason to space coils

5 Likes

Never had anything like that happen to me (yet)

3 Likes

based on (inw)lemon cake (sds - if we can trust that)

Vanilin
Orange Oil
Fureneol
Citral
Hexanoic acid

It’s sft, didn’t add other flavorings or any kind of sweeteners.

4 Likes

I had that happen once in an alien coil when the cotton was too tight inside. I started feeling a very slightly burnt flavor, and when i went to rewick, the cotton was split in two

4 Likes
5 Likes

When I read that thread i was assuming we were pulling the cotton apart trying to work it through the coils not by burning it up! I thought i had learned some from that thread but perhaps I missed something!

Interesting. I know they gunk up the coils and would make sense that would affect the cotton as well!

Sure enough! haha. Your probably right though. Using the squonk mod and vaping until you get right to the point you can tell your starving the coils of juice but not getting a dry hit repeatedly may have contributed, but no nasty bad dry hits!

I am saving up!!! I need a multi cell temp control squonk mod with replay!!! I want to try that Deep water Ti build I read about!

If you can pull it through the coil it’s not too tight! Wick Hard!!! Check out the thread mentioned above and look at video!

What you describe is what happen though, so is there a correlation? May be one of those subjective topics!

4 Likes

Same as above with the disappearing cotton. With contact coils and a sucralose juice I can roast out the coil cotton in about 8ml, which is just one tankful on my RDTA, which is pathetic. And it can also happen in temp control. TC’s great but it isn’t anything more than a hedge against it burning out sooner, as far as contact coils and sucralose juices go. But with non-sucralose juices (including the happy Stevia stone) and spaced coils, I’ve never seen it, neither in TC or power.

As for wicking, I have tried the Wick Hard deal plenty in the past. I have not found it superior; actually, a slightly looser pack nets me much better results. As always, with just about everything, YMMV.

9 Likes

+1 on this for me. slightly loose not too packed.

i had the experience of the wick splitting in the middle. in my experience there’s another reason beside the sweeteners - check your coil dimensions … if your coil is relatively long compared to diameter (like a long narrow pipe), the wick will “starve” in the middle - that’s where the heat concentration is, and it will deteriorate and burn faster in that place.

to fix, if you can, either lose a wrap or 2 from the coil (so it becomes shorter and more proprtional to ID), or use a slightly wider ID - if you’re on 2.5, use 2.7 or 3.0mm - and so on. this also happens more with SS coils where the heat ramps up faster than the cotton can wick and juice flows - all the way to the center wick - especially if you chain vape.

hope this helps

6 Likes

That’s very true and another great point. Coils heat from the middle-out when installed correctly, and if that middle is a long way from the edge, you’ll toast it pretty quick if it doesn’t wick in quickly enough.

6 Likes

NET is an acronym for Naturally Extracted Tobacco, which are flavor compounds taken from tobacco leaves. If you’re into tobacco flavored juices, then it’s for you. I’ve had some that tasted awesome and some that tasted horrid.

4 Likes

Yep, but only with Bust a Nut. Gunks the coils so bad the cotton just goes away inside.

3 Likes