Why is my 100mg/ml nic brown? is this normal?

I have received my nic from liquid barn and made the following recipe by weight. could you look it over and tell me if it appears to be accurate. the nic strength i used was 48mg/ml
base liquid 4.44g
PG 9.40g
VG 49.65 g
flavours
iced tea (7%) 4.35g
raspberry (4%) 2.49g
honey (2%) 1.24g
the target liquid is 60ml at 3mg nic and 70/30 vg/pg i used a e liquid calculator app i had on my phone i am currently steeping it, just wanted to double check that the quantity of each ingredient was accurately calculated

I don’t know if your nicotine is PG or VG based but I calculated them both on the ELR calculator with your flavours (random brands)

Just in case it is 50/50 :grinning:

4 Likes

Thanks i think i will start using the ELR calc from now on.

4 Likes

Nicely done @Josephine_van_Rijn

2 Likes

What I’ve found is that 100mg/ml Nic in PG oxidizes and turns brown pretty quickly. I highly recommend your next Nic purchase in VG, it will eliminate that problem. I’ve had a 500ml bottle for over a year now and its still clear. Of course once it’s mixed with flavorings, which are typically in pg, the mix will begin to turn light brown but depending on your pg/vg ratio it will probably take a few months.

1 Like

@pyroguy I have not found that to be true with my NIC. Realizing that viscosity and shelf life come into play, I tested some 100mg 100% PG NIC after 2 years, and it was as clear as the day I received it.

HOW and WHERE you store your NIC will make all the difference. If you do not break down your large bottle into smaller bottles, and store in the freezer you will rapidly oxidize your NIC. The major issue with 100%VG NIC is that the VG is very thick, making it very hard to NOT get hot spots (unevenly mixed) before you mix with it. If you heat the VG NIC up to compensate for this, that can also speed the oxidation of the NIC. Heat, light, and air are the enemies IMO, not the base it is in.

8 Likes