Wicking with rayon

With rayon, you just have to make sure that you have a lot of it stuffed inside your coil. The tails can basically be thinned out to a good few strands of rayon.

If you don’t thin out your rayon, it’s just going to work a bit like cotton and hold your juice in the tails. If it’s thinned out, it’ll do a better job at wicking all the juice right into your coil.

Different people use different techniques for the thinning. Some may do it a bit like this guy in the video, others cut diagonally from the tip of the end to the coil and I’m sure there are even other techniques… It doesn’t really matter how you do it, what matters is the result.

Flavor wise, it shouldn’t make any difference, but if you don’t thin your tails, it’s not going to wick as good as it can.

3 Likes

I start trimming from the coils out and on some RTAs I trim off 85% of the tails. Looks like a mullet.

3 Likes

I have used Rayon for over two years. This is what I learned.

This is for RTA’s not RDA’s.

Wicking with Rayon is different than wicking with Cotton.
The same techniques used for wicking Cotton do not work for Rayon.
You don’t want to thin the tails as this will cause leaking.
You do want to make your wick fit as tight as possible without causing it to distort your coil.
You do want to cut your wick so the tail reaches the bottom of the juice channel. If you do this consistently it should not leak or cause burnt hits,
You don’t need to split your wick after inserting it into your coil as seen in that video. Place the whole wick all the way down to the bottom of the juice channel.

If you follow these simple techniques you should have no problems wicking with Rayon.

This is for RTA’s not RDA’s.

6 Likes

I went with that guys method of thinning so far it wicks good going to rebuild my griffin 25 + later and I am not going to thin the tails to see the difference

5 Likes

That’s some awesome info thanks!

3 Likes

Your welcome. I thought it might help.

4 Likes

It does… a lot

2 Likes

None to me

1 Like