Xtar Rocket SV2 Charger review by Mjag - Great for the home or on the go

Thank you for taking the time to view my review of the Xtar Rocket SV2 sent to me directly from Xtar for the purpose of this review.

If you want to find out really quick my overall conclusion you can scroll down to the Pros and Cons section and Conclusion to save you some time.

Xtar Rocket SV2 Charger includes:

• XTAR SV2 Rocket fast charger
  • Power cable
  • Car charger cable
  • manual and warranty card

Features:

• User adjustable charge current 0.25-2.0A
  • Suitable for Li-ion/Ni-NH/NI-CD
  • Reverse polarity protection
  • Two independent charging slots
  • 0V activation function to revive “damaged” battery from over discharge
  • Compact size 117.5mm x 74mm x 38mm
  • Compatible with most sized batteries including 21700 and 20700

Specs:

First impressions

Once I opened up the box and took the Xtar Rocket SV2 out my first thought was, hmmmm, that’s pretty compact, I like it. My second thought was, great travel charger as it is compact and includes a car charger cable which is a great idea.

I went ahead and placed it next to the smallest charger I own, the Xtar VC4 which I have owned for a while and has been a work horse of a charger:

As you can see not only is it smaller width wise as it is a 2 vs 4 battery charger but they also compacted the length by including a smaller LCD screen.

The more I looked into the specs I saw that it has user adjustable charging current in a wide range from 0.25A, 0.50A, 1.0A and 2.0A. Then what really caught my eye was the 0V Activation Function which can revive a battery whose voltage has dropped so low that other chargers would not repair, very handy for on the road.

At home use

The first batteries I was anxious to try was a pair of 20700 as there length can be tricky on some chargers. My Hohmbase charger has a hard time with them, you have to lift the positive end just right to get it to make contact. The SV2 took the 20700 just as easy as a pair of 18650 batteries, no problem whatsoever to install and remove…nice. In fact every battery was easy to install and remove thanks to the smooth operation of the battery sled, once of the nicest I have tried.

Of course 26650’s fit without any problems as well

You can even turn off the LCD by pressing and holding the button on the LCD screen:

The default charging starts at 1.0A but it easily changeable but clicking small button on the screen, click twice quickly to charge at 0.25A.

I know why the called it the Rocket, in the 2.0A mode I was able to fully charge a pair of Sony VTC5A 2600 mAh batteries in under 90 minutes.

I even tried the 0V Activation Function with an old Efest button top 18650 from my Provari days that I keep around for such testing. I measured the volts at 1.68 prior to installing in the SV2. No need to select a mode or anything, the SV2 simply starting at 0% and when it was done I measured 4.19V and worked on my Porvari just fine. This is a very handy feature to have with you if on the road or vacation and no access to new batteries, it will keep you vaping instead of turning back to a pack of cigarettes.

I used the Rocket SV2 as my main charger at home and never once had a hiccup, it works like a champ and is simple as pie to use.

On the road

For anyone who spends a lot of time on the road I think this compact and versatile charger is a must have. I waited until I had a long commute, this one being close to an hour so thought it was the best time to try it. Loved that it fit nicely in my center console, here is a pic for reference:

I started out with a pair of Samsung 30Q 3000 mAh which I measured before hand at 3.58 and 3.56V prior to installing them in the SV2. Turned on the timer in my car to accurately measure the amount of time then plugged in the car adapter, set the SV2 to 2.0A charging and away I went. At the start of my journey the SV@ read 15% on one bay and 10% of the other and after 55 minutes of driving it was at 84% and 80%. I then removed the batteries and luckily remembered my Digital Multimeter and measured 4.1V on both batteries, very nice.

Pros:

• Charges a wide variety of batteries from Li-ion/Ni-NH/NI-CD and a huge assortment of sizes all the way up to 21700
  • Compact and easy to take with you
  • Includes homeplug and car charger cable
  • User adjustable charging current from 0.25A, 0.50A, 1.0A and 2.0A
  • Smooth battery tray spring making installation and removal easy peasy
  • 2 year warranty
  • Reasonably priced

Cons:

• This is a tough one, never reviewed a product that didn’t have a con. I guess the only con I can think of is if it will be your only charger then the con would be it only has 2 battery slots and if you own 3 battery mods your out of luck. In that case buy the Xtar MC4 or one of there other fine chargers.

• Found a con, little hard to find. Common retailers, more of you should be carrying this charger!

Conclusion

Never gave much thought about a travel charger that would work in my car until I got the Xtar Rocket SV2 in for review. Most mod manufacturers warn against charging in there mods and really the USB is usually the weakest link and if you break that while on the road your screwed. That is why the Xtar Rocket SV2 makes so much sense, not only is it safer to charge your batteries with but faster and saves your mod from possible damage.

I would recommend this mod to anyone who travels a lot and even for those that just need a reliable home charger that is reasonably priced. I really came away from this review enlightened to a solution I hadn’t even thought about before.

The Xtar VC4 was my first real charger and has been flawless over probably 2 to 3 years. The Rocket SV2 actually seems a little better built so I am confident I will get many years of great service from it, my travel charger from here on out.

I searched the web for the best prices I could find, here is what I found:

China shipper: $25.97 shipped

US shipper: $24.70 CRAWLER5 for 5% off of $26.00

I want to thank Xtar for sending me the Rocket SV2 to review. At first I wasn’t excited but didn’t know this would fill a niche that I had not thought of before. Kudos to Xtar for packing a lot of there excellent technology into a travel friendly package and including a car charger to boot…well done.

If you’d like to check out http://www.steampugs.co.uk/ you can see how the Xtar Rocket SV2 scored against other chargers and meet the all new Steam Pugs team come on by and have a look.

15 Likes

A car charging cable - love that!

Great review petal! :+1:

3 Likes

Right?! So handy!
Thanks for the review, @mjag!

3 Likes

Very good review. Thank you for taking the time to do it. I’m looking into getting a new charger mine is about 3 1/2 years old and acting up on me. Thanks again !

3 Likes

Very nice, keep up the good work!

2 Likes

Thank you my dear, yeah, the car charging cable was an excellent addition for sure.

2 Likes

Thank you @VapeyMama @jeremy4 and @Cutlass92

2 Likes

Nicely done @mjag. Glad to see a review of a charger for a change.

1 Like

odd u dug this up @SessionDrummer . A nice review that i missed and the fact that the 0 v recovery function works might be worth grabbing one. I have a nitecore i2 that says it does that but didnt and have 2 batts that i “meched” down too far.Thks again!

1 Like

Thank you bud! They came out with an even faster charger that I reviewed here: Xtar Over 4 Slim review by Mjag....The fastest charger ever? More expensive but it is insanely fast that I am still using it when I need my limited supply of 21700 to be done asap. The Rocket is still a great on the go charger, gonna let a friend borrow it for a vacation he has coming up. The SV2 is about half the price of the Over 4 Slim though, unless you need 4 amp charging the SV2 is the better value.

@worm1 yeah, the SV2 is a good little charger and great for on the go with the included car adapter and small size.

I have a couple Nightcore chargers I was sent for review, the i8 and Q4. A little tough to review chargers if they don’t do something unique. I guess just a long term review to see if any problems develop and mention if all batteries fit like the new 21700. The i8 is unique in that it charges 8 batteries but will probably combine both into a single review.

Thank you both and glad this review can help.

2 Likes

Good riview, great information, Thanks :smile:

2 Likes