You may be adding more Ethyl Maltol to concentrates, that already contain between 1-25% Ethyl Maltol already (TPA Flavours)

I have been experimenting with Cotton Candy Circus by TPA in place of straight 10% EM that you can buy ready mixed.With mainly fruit flavours at first.

Whilst I was doing this I did a bit of research on TPA website and there is what I think a very handy way of finding if the product you are using already contains EM and by how much,enabling you to adjust the amount of EM if it already has a high amount added to the concentrate flavour you are using.

I will start by showing the difference between EM and Cotton Candy circus to show there is a difference in ingredients used, if this interests you.Although slightly off topic

EM is basically 90% PG and 10% EM as you would expect TPA

Cotton Candy (circus) is very different in its make up TPA

PG 76%-82%
Ethyl Vanillin 9%-15%
EM <5%
Benzyl Benzoate <2%
Cyclotene 1%-10%
Piperonal <2%
Benzyl Alcohol <1%

Anyway back to the way I have been experimenting with varying amounts of EM or Cotton Candy (circus) in my mixes or avoiding EM as it is already added in a high amount and trying things like Cotton Candy Circus or my own neat Stevia mix based on what TPA say has already added. There can be anything from <1% EM up to <25% in a flavoured concentrate but that is still a reduced amount from using a straight EM amount added if you were adding the EM concentrate you can buy from TPA on its own to a mix anyway. iyswim

Here is a list of all TPA concentrates that contain EM already TPA List

If you click on list on the right it will list all the ingredients in that concentrate, plus a rough idea of how much EM is in it already

i.e. Strawberries and Cream has <5% Em in its total ingredients There plain Strawberry has <1% EM in its total ingredients and Strwberry Ripe doesn’t appear on the list so assume it has none added.

But if you look at something like original Bavarian Cream it can be anything between >5% and <25% so if you have that in your mix with say mango that can have <10% you will already have a good amount of Em in your mix already, before adding anymore. So if a recipe has either of these ingredients or both I might try say 0.5% EM in the recipe rather than the normal 1% based on this. Or one of my alternatives.

I find this list thing very interesting and although it isn’t exact in its amounts gives you an idea what is in there and gives you the ability to adjust your additives you may want to put in yourself to a mix. i.e. EM or Vanillin etc based on this. I realise that some people might find this irrelevant, but it might interest a few?

I also found out that their sucralose is only in their sweetener and not any other concentrates
Products with Sucralose and the ingredients and %'s in sucralose are as follows for reference

Propylene Glycol 42% and < 47%
Water 46% and <56%
Sucralose <5%
Maltol <5%

if you want a full list of flavours click here and just click on list to see what is in them and if an ingredient like Ethyl Vanillin interests you because you may add it to a recipe as a seperate ingredient yourself. You can see if any of the flavours in your recipe contain it already and at what % and adjust accordingly.

18 Likes