Zeus Single Coil RTA

Morning all,
I recently purchased my first RTA, the Zeus single coil version and after getting the wicking right (?) I have noticed that if I add more than a ml or so of juice i start getting spit back and flooding issues.
I have rewicked several times with minor adjustments but keep running into this issue. Hoping someone can point me in the right direction. Thanks as always!!

btw- i have a single coil at .33 ohm and vaping at 45 watts.

1 Like

Sounds like the wick may be thin. Meaning it is not thick enough to fully fill the inner diameter of the coil. This can possibly lead to the cotton “collapsing” once it is fully juiced. That can cause spitback and flooding as well. I would try adding a little more to the wick next time and see what happens.

5 Likes

If you can upload a photo.

3 Likes

Spitback is usually a result of bad wicking or not enough power to fully vaporize the liquid. Flooding is most likely a wicking problem. What is the inner diameter of your coil? I use 3.5mm in mine. Anything smaller makes it difficult to get enough wick to fill the channels.

4 Likes

I have the answer to your problem. Close the airflow before refilling. I have the same problem and after trying all types of wicks and several changes in watts and nothing worked I discovered the solution. I have both the single coil and the duel coil Zeus and had the same problem with both. Lots of flooding. Making the wick thicker only caused burnt hits and to little wick causes flooding. Now I close the airflow before refilling and no flooding. Because I’m able to use a smaller amount of wick there’s no burnt hits anymore. One more thing. Close the airflow before opening the topcap. This stops the flooding.

3 Likes

I’ll second @louiesquared. I get by with a 3mm id coil but I put a pretty fair amount of cotton in it. I cut about a 15mm wide swath off of a cotton pad. I cut the cotton just long enough to dangle underneath the build deck and only rake the very bottom of the cotton that extends beyond the build deck. I leave the cotton that is passing through the wicking channels full to "dam’ them up.

4 Likes

I don’t want to sound like I’m calling you out but you should not have to close the airflow to avoid flooding. If wicked properly it isn’t necessary. You need a good amount of wick in the coil but thin and fluff it out real good near the channels. You don’t need to stuff the channels. It should be just enough to fill it but loose enough that it moves easily. By the way, I have the single and dual as well.

5 Likes

I use Rayon exclusively. That makes a big difference. I tried many different types of coils as well as wicks and found by closing the airflow worked. If your using cotton that may be true but if you use Rayon it’s not going to work for you. It’s because Rayon shrinks but cotton swells when wet.

2 Likes

This is very true and I agree, rayon is a completely different beast, shut the airflow and make sure your wicking material is filling all spaces

1 Like

I wicked mine like this and i haven’t had any issues with spit back and actually have not had to even change my wick in awhile. Works beautifully!!!

1 Like

I thought I had this little jewel wicked right, sounds like I need to work on the wicking a bit more. Current build is a 3mm and cotton is pretty tight passing thru the coil. May need to up the size to 3.5.
My cotton is pretty snug passing through the coil. I don’t think it’s to tight though. I fluff the ends pretty good as i have seen in others videos but the length onto the deck may be a bit long.
It’s really strange, I only seem to get the flooding when i have it filled beyond about half way. If i keep the tank less than half full it works great! Finicky little sucker!!

1 Like

How thick should the cotton be when it is tucked into the juice slots? Wondering if I have thinned it to much when fluffing.

1 Like

I just fluffed it a little and took off a tiny bit of excess and then molded it into the juice slots. I followed the video exactly and it worked really well for me. Mines all the way full and works great! Leave enough cotton on the ends to mold into the juice wells. Maybe ur taking too much off?

1 Like

I believe that is what I am doing wrong. Not enough left in the juice wells! I rewicked and still fluffed the ends but not as much as I had previously done. Same coil and E Juice and so far so good!! Have to order me coils and maybe some newer cotton but this little tank is sweet!!
Thanks to all! I love this community!!

3 Likes

I love this tank too!! I’m really glad u got it to work put :slight_smile:

1 Like

I dig this little RTA so much I have two.
And I had the very same problem as you are having it took me a process of elimination to figure out what was happening.
Turns out the bottom O’ring on the glass tank was not seated properly so I cleaned it all and replaced the bottom O’ring and that fixed the issue for me.

2 Likes