A journey down the rabbit hole of mixing e-liquid.šŸ°

I would contend that:

Then youā€™re way beyond basic mixing principles.

(And have at least a fair modicum of experience under your belt.)

You donā€™t hand someone out of driverā€™s ed the keys to a Bugatti Veyron.

2 Likes

my brand is from a company called everything liquid I get my VG, PG AND Nicotine from them.

1 Like

Maybe this is the solution to my problem ā€¦
I have noticed that when I open a bottle of 50mls juice, when I get to the middle, the juice does not have the same initial taste. Which led me to buy a magnetic stirrer (without heating) ā€¦ even so, I still have no improvement in the result.
I think the problem is in the homogenization of the liquid ā€¦
Will buying a 70VG / 30PG base improve the juices instead of PG and VG separate?

Edit: And yes, I always shake my juice before filling my RTA!

2 Likes

I wouldnā€™t say that. I do remember looking at homogenizers and mag mixers back when I started. From lab supply stores $$$ kinda turned me away at the timeā€¦ until I can either save up for them or find them cheaper those ideas were placed on the back burnerā€¦almost 1 yr later I bought a cheap heated mag mixer for Christmasā€¦ probably will get one with a temp probe later or if an insurance job comes thru I may get a homogenizer

So Iā€™d based of my experience depending on your financial situation the DIY starts with different mixing tools

The James Bond Method (shaken not stirred)

Egg beater

Mag mixer

Various kitchen blender

Paint can shaker

Homogenizer

Etcā€¦

He used a centrifuge to make the tomato soup. Reminds me of work! :joy:

2 Likes

I donā€™t think so and have a pretty complex answer why I think that. It goes to your other statements ā€œthe juice does not have the same initial taste. Which led me to buy a magnetic stirrer (without heating) ā€¦ even so, I still have no improvement in the result.ā€ And ā€œI think the problem is in the homogenization of the liquid ā€¦ā€

The definition of ā€œhomogenizeā€ shouldnā€™t need repeating but associated terminology can complicate matters. One is to emulsify and others are volatility and dispersal, and with a homogenizer, shearing the molecules in the mixture to uniform size.

To emulsify is to combine immiscible (substances which donā€™t readily mix) substances. Oil and water is the perfect example. Ordinary stirring will not create an emulsion. It will separate almost instantly. Thus, the need to shear and force these substances together. But in making ejuice we are combining volatiles which are our flavoring themselves: Volatility denotes rapid evaporation, that is evaporating rapidly in the form of a vapor. The volatiles are what we taste and smell which in essence is the same thing. Solvents such as alcohol as well as ā€œharsh notesā€ have to evaporate in the mixing process.

How miscible (mixable) or immiscible our chemicals are is beyond any means I have to determine. But clearly there are varying degrees involved in the perhaps hundreds of chemicals we are using even though they are (or should be) all water soluble. Thus the sometimes very long ā€œsteepā€ and others that mix near instantly. So I set out to learn how to control the above factors.

There are several things that led me to begin homogenizing my VG/Pg or VG/Water/ Saline base separately. One was a method developed by @ Maureenie and another was from a maker of lab equipment which demonstrates that VG will not homogenize at below 60 C ( 140 F). So even if I hadnā€™t noticed a difference in weight in VG products I would have continued using this method. Heat VG or VG/PG by itself and use whatever mixing device you choose to use. I never heat Nicotine. I use some heat with many flavorings added later but keep the temps generally below 120 F. The more heat, the more off gassing of the volatiles.

I also avoid aerating any mix that has flavoring or nicotine. Oxidation will degrade both. In the design of all homogenizing equipment, all eliminate the introduction of air. The small lab units will allow small amounts. The in-line sealed units eliminate it entirely.

I hope I have answered your questions and sorry for the length.

7 Likes

@mrpipes well put buddy, youā€™re a lot better at explaining things than myself.I wish I was this good.

2 Likes

Thank you mrpipes for your comment;)
I already wondered if it would not be a problem with the volatility of the aromas, because when I open the bottle, the flavor is there, that is after 15 days, or 1 month. then I start to vaporize and Iā€™m losing some notes, as if the juice loses its freshness ā€¦ bref. the solution in the immediate, passes by making lots of 30 mls. and so I am entertaining myself to cook more often ā€¦ lol

1 Like

Ok, here are some more doubts.
Is it good practice to heat the vg at 30Ā° C before mixing the pg, flavors and nicotine? and after 30 minutes of magnetic stirring, immediately close the mix bottle?

When using a stirrer what I do goes like this:

1. Heat my VG/PG to 60 C by themselves and stir them.
  2. Cool
  3. Add flavorings and stir in a closed container. A sealed container will not allow the volatiles to escape and the stirring action with force them back into the solution. I use erlenmeyer flasks with rubber stoppers.
  4. Cool again if you used heat.
  5. Add nicotine and stir very slowly for a few minutes.
  6. Allow time for chemical reactions which is basically evaporation. When you open the bottle, they will escape.

I know these are extra steps but this is what has worked best for me.

7 Likes

Thanks for your help.
I was only heating the vg at 30 Ā°, and then added the remaining components and mixed it ā€¦ Iā€™ll try it your way :wink:

Heat is not going to harm VG or any non flavored mix. I think youā€™ll notice a big difference and your flavors will mix more thoroughly.

1 Like

I have tasted incredible recipes, so the taste is there, I just do not want it to escape quickly! :sweat_smile:

Thank you so much again :+1:

I wonder if this is a thing for me. When I mix, I always open it to sniff it up right after I shake, because I want to smell the goodness (or funk, which happens too) to see how it went from an olfactory perspective. I guess Iā€™ll wait until later from now on.

1 Like

When I read the case again, a doubt arose. If you make a juice full VG, does it advantage to heat the VG?
As you say you expect this to cool before mixing the flavors ā€¦ :thinking:

Yes. There are a lot of solids in VG and who knows how long it has set. Being heavier at the bottom of a gallon tells me that there is some separation happening. Plus even with a stirrer rather than a homogenizer there is some shearing action. Low shear versus high shear. Iā€™ve noticed a big difference by heating and stirring VG by itself as well as with PG and/or vodka and saline. It improves the flow where it will vape like say a 80/20 VG-PG mix and in my opinion mix with flavorings better.

1 Like

Humm, not realizing much of chemistry, this seems to make sense ā€¦ thanks :+1: :smiley:

1 Like

This link (from above) demonstrates this:

However, It can be homogenized with a stirrer as described above. Takes a lot longer and is not quite the same as using the rotor stator device, but close. Stir the shit out of it.

2 Likes

Video interesting ā€¦ but in that case the glycerin would be in the 60 Ā°, and in our case, I do not believe that it is good to add flavors at this temperature! :thinking:

From above

2 Likes