Analyzing The 100 Top-Rated Recipes

Analyzing The 100 Top-Rated Recipes

Updated Nov 10, 2018

While working on my post A Beginner’s Guide To Making The Most Highly-Rated Recipes I downloaded the 100 top-rated recipes and analyzed them to find recipes suitable for beginners

But I kept wondering what else could be learned from analyzing those top recipes? And even if little could be learned, would some analyzation be interesting? I figured that both could be possible, so I did some more programming…

Flavor Counts
Making all of the top 100 recipes would require the purchase of 174 different flavors.

Out of all these flavors, 80 are used in only a single recipe in the top 100.

With the remaining 94 flavors, you could make 47 of the top 100 recipes.

Flavor Popularity
The flavors used most often are below.

Bavarian Cream (TPA) - 24 recipes
Vanilla Custard v1 (Cap) - 23 recipes
Meringue (FA) - 17 recipes
Acetyl Pyrazine 5% (TPA) - 16 recipes
Strawberry, Ripe (TPA) - 15 recipes
Strawberry, Sweet (Cap) - 14 recipes
Biscuit (Inawera) - 13 recipes
Sweetener (Sucralose/Maltol) (TPA) - 12 recipes
Cotton Candy (10% EM/Ethyl Maltol) (TPA) - 12 recipes
Cream Fresh (FA) - 11 recipes
Cheesecake (Graham Crust) (TPA) - 11 recipes
Sweet Cream (TPA) - 10 recipes
Apple, Fuji (FA) - 10 recipes
Sugar Cookie (Cap) - 9 recipes
Butter Cream (Cap) - 8 recipes
New York Cheesecake (Cap) - 8 recipes
RY4 Double (TPA) - 8 recipes
Graham Cracker (Clear) (TPA) - 8 recipes
Cereal, Crunchy Berry (TPA) - 7 recipes
Vanilla Swirl (TPA) - 7 recipes
Vanilla Bean Ice Cream (TPA) - 7 recipes
Cream, Sweet (Cap) - 7 recipes
Marshmallow (FA) - 7 recipes
Strawberry (TPA) - 7 recipes
Dragonfruit (TPA) - 7 recipes
Almond, Toasted (TPA) - 6 recipes
Strawberry (Red Touch) (FA) - 6 recipes
Cinnamon Danish Swirl (Cap) - 6 recipes

Flavors Ranked By Quantity Used
If you made a 30ml bottle of each and every one of the top 100 recipes, you’d make 3,000ml of finished product. Of that, 434ml would be flavoring.

The 10 flavors used in the greatest quantites are below. The amount shown is the total required for that flavor if you made a 30ml bottle of each and every one of the top 100 recipes.

Vanilla Custard v1 (Cap) - 27ml
Strawberry, Ripe (TPA) - 21ml
RY4 Double (TPA) - 17ml
Bavarian Cream (TPA) - 17ml
Strawberry, Sweet (Cap) - 16ml
Cheesecake (Graham Crust) (TPA) - 13ml
Sugar Cookie (Cap) - 11ml
Strawberry (TPA) - 9ml
Meringue (FA) - 8ml
Apple, Fuji (FA) - 8ml

The 10 flavors used in the least quantites are below.

Lime (Inawera) - 0.08ml
Pink Guava (Flavorah) - 0.08ml
Rich Cinnamon (Flavorah) - 0.10ml
Red Oak (TPA) - 0.12ml
USA Red Mix (Inawera) - 0.12ml
Booster (Tiramisu) (FA) - 0.12ml
Butterscotch (TPA) - 0.15ml
Caramel (FA) - 0.15ml
Vanilla Tahity (FA) - 0.15ml
Liquid Amber (FA) - 0.15ml

Flavoring By Percentage
If you made a 30ml bottle of each and every one of the top 100 recipes, you’d make 3,000ml of finished product. Of that, 434ml would be flavoring.

Considering all of the top 100 recipes, the average percentage of flavoring is 14.47%

The 10 recipes that use the highest percentage of flavoring are show below.

100% VGOD EJUICE REMIX - 50.00%
Mother’s Unicorn Milk - 26.00%
Solo Boss Reserve - 25.00%
the real barney rubble - 23.00%
Castle Long Clone V2 - 23.00%
fresh03’s Strawberry Milkshake - 22.30%
Strawnana Custard - 21.00%
the real barney rubble v2 - 21.00%
Ripe Dragon Cream - 21.00%
Bearded Smooth 05 (V2)BEST Beard 05 Out there! - 20.50%

The 10 recipes that use the lowest percentage of flavoring are show below.

Simply tobacco - 3.00%
Smooth Morning Kick - 3.30%
Macho - 3.50%
Old Habits - 3.50%
Cigar Lady - 4.90%
Frosted Flakes - 5.50%
Guava-Lime Candy - 6.25%
Sparkling Apple Peach Wine - 6.50%
Goofy’s Juice - 6.80%
Atmose Chifles - 7.00%

Flavoring Cost
NOTE: Costs were as of September 2016
For these sections about cost, my program did not attempt to get the most economical pricing. I went to eCigaretteExpress.com and got the size and price of the smallest bottle for each brand. For instance, 13ml for Capella, 1 dram (3.7ml) for LorAnn, 15ml for Flavorah, and usually 10ml for any others. The calculations below assume that bottle size and pricing are consistent for each brand.

I did not attempt to be economical by buying larger bottles when more than 1 small bottle was necessary. If the calculations called for 13.1ml of some Capella flavor then the program required 2 bottles at 13ml each.

The idea of this section is to show comparitive costs, not perfectly accurate costs of each.

That said, if you made a 30ml bottle of each and every one of the top 100 recipes…

You would need to buy 182 (small) bottles of flavoring.

You would spend - in the US, at eCigaretteExpress.com - $383.35. Though I’m sure you could do better by buying larger bottles when necessary.

You would then have 1782ml of flavoring, but making a 30ml bottle of each of the top recipes only requires 434ml, leaving you with 1348ml of flavors left over.

Per Recipe Costs
This section considers the cost of flavoring for each recipe. It uses the same bottle size and pricing as the section above. However, my program is calculating the cost of only the amount of flavorings used in the recipe, and does not consider the overhead of having any of that flavoring left over.

For instance, a 13ml bottle of Capella costs $2.50, which is 19.23 cents per ml. If a recipe calls for this flavor at 6%, that’s 1.8ml for a 30ml bottle. 1.8ml at 19.23 cents per ml costs 34.61 cents.

The costs shown consider only the flavors used when making a 30ml bottle, and does not include PG, VG or Nic.

The 10 most expensive recipes are listed below.

Poptart v5 - $1.26
Mother’s Unicorn Milk - $1.16
Castle Long Clone V2 - $1.16
the real barney rubble - $1.13
Solo Boss Reserve - $1.12
Strawnana Custard - $1.11
FA Tiger’s blood - $1.07
Bombies 'nana cream - $1.05
100% VGOD EJUICE REMIX - $1.04
the real barney rubble v2 - $1.04

The 10 least expensive recipes are listed below.

Simply tobacco - $0.22
Smooth Morning Kick - $0.24
Macho - $0.27
Old Habits - $0.27
Goofy’s Juice - $0.31
Atmose Chifles - $0.31
Guava-Lime Candy - $0.34
Grants Vanilla Custard my way - $0.34
Night Shift v1by gcrannel - $0.34
Frosted Flakes - $0.35

Recipes by Flavor Count
The section goes over the simple and complex recipes, determined by the number of flavors used in each recipe.

There are many recipes in the top 100 that use only 2 flavors, showing that you can do a lot with a little.

Simply tobacco
Night Shift v1by gcrannel
Mustard Milk - Simple Strawberries and Cream
Atmose Chifles

My post A Beginner’s Guide To Making The Most Highly-Rated Recipes covers many recipes with 2, 3 or 4 flavors.

The most complex recipes use a much larger number of flavors, showing that you can do a lot with a lot more.

Strawberry Crack Corn - 12 flavors
Smooth famous tobacco - 12 flavors
Lemon Pie Deluxe Version - 11 flavors
Dinner Lady A Lemon Tart Remix - 10 flavors
Rhodonite by [ ENYAWREKLAW ] - 10 flavors
6. Marshmallow man (clone) - 10 flavors
Looper ANML 80% - 9 flavors
Poptart v5 - 9 flavors
the real barney rubble v2 - 9 flavors
Bavas strawberries and cream - 9 flavors
Castle Long Reserve - 9 flavors
Strawberry cheesecake - 9 flavors

Maximum Efficiency
In a post below, @TheFlavorSeeker asked a great question:

what would be the 20% or so flavors common to most of the top-100 recipes?

I’ve already done something similar in my post A Beginner’s Guide To Making The Most Highly-Rated Recipes. In the section “An Econmical First Order” I selected 18 flavors that would make 10 of the top 100 recipes.

The question from TheFlavorSeeker raises the bar a bit, looking for the greatest number of recipes that could be made with approximately 34 flavors. Answering this question perfectly would be extremely difficult since there are too many permutations with 100 recipes and 174 flavors.

So I decided to program a faster, simpler way to determine an answer that was close enough, but not perfect.

My program selected the most popular 20 flavors to build a pool of available flavors. It then performed its own version of “What Can I Make?” to determine how many recipes - out of the top 100 - that could be made with those flavors. For each of the remaining flavors it selected them one-by-one and determined how many recipes could be made with those 21 flavors. Whichever flavor added the most recipes got added to the pool of available flavors.

It proceeded in this way, checking each remaining flavor one-by-one and adding the best flavor to the pool of available flavors. In case of a tie - and there were many - it chose the more popular flavor. This method slowly built an ever-increasing list of some number of flavors that could make an ever-increasing number of recipes.

NOTE: The original algorithm produced a list containing 114 flavors to purchase. I decided to limit it to get a decent list.

The most efficient collection of flavors made 17 of the top 100 recipes with 34 flavors.

The most efficient collection of flavors are:

Bavarian Cream (TPA)
Vanilla Custard v1 (Cap)
Meringue (FA)
Acetyl Pyrazine 5% (TPA)
Strawberry, Ripe (TPA)
Strawberry, Sweet (Cap)
Biscuit (Inawera)
Sweetener (Sucralose/Maltol) (TPA)
Cotton Candy (10% EM/Ethyl Maltol) (TPA)
Cream Fresh (FA)
Cheesecake (Graham Crust) (TPA)
Sweet Cream (TPA)
Apple, Fuji (FA)
Sugar Cookie (Cap)
Butter Cream (Cap)
New York Cheesecake (Cap)
RY4 Double (TPA)
Graham Cracker (Clear) (TPA)
Cereal, Crunchy Berry (TPA)
Vanilla Swirl (TPA)
Dragonfruit (TPA)
French Vanilla v1 (Cap)
Vanilla Custard (TPA)
Cream, Sweet (Cap)
Cinnamon Danish Swirl (Cap)
Strawberry Shisha (Inawera)
Vanilla Bean Ice Cream (TPA)
Strawberry (TPA)
Marshmallow (TPA)
Cake (Yellow) (FW)
Hazelnut (FW)
Marshmallow (FA)
Cream, Whipped (TPA)
Super Sweet (Cap)

These can make the following recipes:

Mother’s Unicorn Milk
strawberry fog
Strawberry Shortcake Bar
Frosted Flakes by Shroomy
Candybeca
Kreed’s Kustard
Custard King
Ripe Dragon Cream
Sinnamon Cookie Kustard
Mustard Milk - Simple Strawberries and Cream
Grants Vanilla Custard my way
MY DUDE (My Man Remix) by [ENYAWREKLAW]
Frosted Flakes
E-Juice Makers: Cream Base
Bearded Smooth 05 (V2)BEST Beard 05 Out there!
Girl With The Dragon Cheescake
Strawberry cheesecake

Anything else?
Are there any other stats that you might find interesting? If so, let me know and I’ll see if I can figure out how to get the information.

117 Likes

Wow that is some truly great work you have done there :slight_smile:

5 Likes

[quote=“Scottes777, post:1, topic:83979”]
Are there any other stats that you might find interesting?
[/quote] Which one will I like the most? Just kidding, as we all know flavor is subjective however you did a great job of narrowing some things down to what is popular statistically. Bravo for that!

5 Likes

Great analysis. The “Flavor Popularity” list should be cross posted as a “must have” list for new mixers. All of those flavors are must haves.
Great work.
B

13 Likes

Very interesting will have to look into this post once I’m done with your beginners post.
Good job

2 Likes

Nice work. But I rarely ever mix other people’s recipes. Unless something jumps out at me. To be brutally honest, 90% of the top recipes don’t interest me in the slightest. the ones I did mix up turned out to be bland and lifeless. Way too many variants of strawberry cream/cheesecake or banana custard that even beginners could chuck together no problem. I will try the ones that dare to be different though, or at least steal some ideas from :stuck_out_tongue:

9 Likes

@Scottes777, wonderful piece of work to help a new comer to DIY like me identify the top flavors they need to acquire as they build their initial stash. and thank you for including these valuable inline links to the recipes.

sticky?

_if you’re familiar with the Pareto law (aka the 80/20 rule) , what would be the 20% or so flavors common to most of the top-100 recipes? this would be slightly different than most-used (which is based mainly on quantity) flavors. _
so if someone has these in their stash, they can make most of the top-100 recipes (and hopefully vape happily ever after thanks to you and the recipe makers)

2 Likes

Hmmm… That would be interesting and perhaps a little tricky to figure out. I did a similar thing in my Beginner’s Guide, figuring out the 18 flavors that would make 10 simple recipes. My program already figured out that it would take 83 flavors to make 45 recipes. But what about 20 or 30? And what about the list of recipes and flavors required?

Good question, and probably interesting result. I’ll see what I can do.

4 Likes

Absolutely phenomenal post!!

Another tremendously useful resource that’s certain to become a sticky the instant the powers that be see it!

Kudos! And thank you for taking the time!

4 Likes

Great read ! Thanks for posting this !

4 Likes

This is awesome. If I would have had this to start… My God, the money I would have saved!

5 Likes

Thanks you for the post … you wrote that you order 13.l ml the smallest flavoring on ecx
Possible to know which flavoring you bought ?

1 Like

Capella sells their flavoring in 13ml bottles. My example was that if 13.1ml were required then one would need to buy 2 bottles.

1 Like

Thank you. This is truly great work.

1 Like

This and your beginner’s guide are both fine examples of better living thru data mining! :smiley: :+1:

6 Likes

What an excellent post. Fantastic. I rarely post, but I just had to for this one. :+1:

4 Likes

Updated 9/17/16 - Added section “Maximum Efficiency” which answers a question raised by @TheFlavorSeeker:

what would be the 20% or so flavors common to most of the top-100 recipes?

3 Likes

@Scottes777 A million likes :clap: :clap: :clap: - you’re a star !
thanks for these 2 Golden Lists (top flavors, top recipes) both in one place.

5 Likes

Dude, wot a legend !

I have 21 of the max efficiencies, good start :slight_smile:

3 Likes