Android phones a smallish, ok long, rant

I so very much agree, this is my first smart phone and there is really nothing smart about it. I gave up my old flip phone because my wife insisted. I have a facebook and twitter account but not under my real name and in all the years ive been around there are only one or two picture of me that exist on the interwebz.

Privacy is dead, im not sure whether to embrace it or move to our cabin in the UP, completely off the grid. Tho i may die without the internet. I do have enough media to view for the rest of my life, appx 24TB worth on my network and countless more TBā€™s offline scattered across many storage mediums even some on 8 inch floppies.

1 Like

Nods, I use to get jumped on for banning entire domains from specific servers every so often when I had a ā€œOā€ big o ircop i.e. server op status and taught a channel op class that was open to anyone when I became an #newbies channel op finally stopped using irc about 12 years ago as (like you said) dalnet died off a lot.

1 Like

No, never got into that. Was a programmer in Basic and C back in the BBS days. Later on began designing and writing websites. Wrote 2 POS websites for my sterling silver jewelry business and wrote 2 video websites. Never did this type of thing for others, only for myself and my businessesā€¦

1 Like

Those days were fun, in fact i miss Dalnutz as i called it. I was using freenet for awhile to give me back a little of the lawlessness of the early internet, sadly it is the same speed of the early days, hehe. So much has changed, not much of it for the better outside of the speed of it all.

EDIT: This was supposed to be a reply to @CallMeTut

Well that didnt work out, i was trying to reply to you both in the same threadā€¦

@ringling i remember writing site in notepad and HTML. Now i would have no idea where to start.

Basically you still use a glorified text editor. Truth be told Iā€™m not programming a whole lot these days and as usual if you donā€™t keep up with things what you were using become a dinosaur. Lot of new stuff Iā€™m not planning on keeping up with. Probably my heavy programming days are over. I have other interests these daysā€¦

1 Like

btw the new version of Android will do the same as the iPhone - ask permission as the app requests them :smile:
Iā€™ve made a couple of apps before in a framework called Telerik - the apps you make with it, requests all sorts of permissions by default - itā€™s up to the developer to turn off those things (if youā€™re not gonna use them) - personally I didnā€™t turn things off - I just went with the defaults :stuck_out_tongue: Lazy bastard, me.

2 Likes

Welcome to the 21st century lol

3 Likes

I have no facebook or twitter or anything like that so I figure whatā€™s gonna happen someone can see me or find meā€¦ I stay broke so canā€™t get any money from me so huhā€¦ screw it I just watch what I put out there and try not to let it bother meā€¦if you can get over that and I have my Google is really a cool tool to have!

2 Likes

Looks like i have to wait for the newest Android, they are still testing it for this phone.

1 Like