Battery charger features

I’m adding some mods with removable batteries to my stash, which means I need a charger. There’s like a million options out there and I don’t want to buy something and then be disappointed that it doesn’t do x y or z.
What are some features that are important to look for or just nice to have in a charger?

abitlity to charge 4 batteries at once… I originally bought one that charged 2 and then had to upgrade

4 Likes

Sometimes a charger for work and a charger for home.

1 Like

I work at home so I’m good there!

1 Like

I was actually eyeing a six bay charger since my husband and I both vape it would nice to have that option I think.

2 Likes

Are there chargers that turn off when the batteries are charged? Or ones with screens that show info on the batteries like how much they’re charged? Stuff like that I’m thinking would be nice.

I use a couple from this company http://charger.nitecore.com/
the iSeries and dSeries are nice. Safe. You can read up on the features.

2 Likes

yeah mine shows the charge level of each cell which is very nice… it apparently stops charging them when they are full but I dont trust it so i unplug it anyway. yeah 6 bay would be even better I just wonder if it would charge slower since im one of those people that puts off charging until im on my last charged battery lol

are you unplugging the actual charger? you can just take the batteries out when done :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: lol

2 Likes

Just in case, never leave batteries in the charger overnight. Even the charger “stops” the current when full…you never know.

1 Like

lol yeah I unplug it entirely I chrge them in the kitchen then unplug it and put it up when im leaving the kitchen (I have an autistic 4 year old who would do god only knows what with my charger if he got his hands on it lol)

3 Likes

Speaking as a technician, there’s only two brands that I will consider as safe viable, reliable devices.
Xtar and Opus.

Both are very well built and highly regulated, and have been tested (with supporting videos, and proper test equipment) on YouTube.

The biggest difference (obvious to the laymen anyways) is that the better of the Opus options incorporates temperature monitoring as well as a fan that only kicks in once certain components get above their set range for temp.

The Xtar VC4 is probably the best all around value, but for maximum options (and in my opinion, added value safety features) the Cadillac would be the Opus BT-3400.

I’m in the same boat as you here… I just haven’t decided my price point is all. lol

One can be had for around $25 (give or take) and the other’s about $50 (give or take).

display and abilities are much more in depth and technical on the Opus however, so you can easily guess my automatic tendency.

5 Likes

I’m looking at the Efest LUC Blu6 and LUC V6 chargers right now, both are 6 bay and have phone apps… Lol not sure I need a battery charger app, but it’s a cool idea.

2 Likes

lol I gotcha…I have to do the same sometimes when I see my cat staring at it lol

2 Likes

Great review and technical assessment of the “cheaper model” - the 3400 just has a few bells and whistles mainly. Still the same rock solid foundation though.

There’s a better one for the Xtar, but I know I’ve watched this one too.

Been doing my homework on chargers for the last month or so (as I’m very particular about my electronics equipment)…

5 Likes

Just checked that out, looks pretty sweet. There’s a 3100, too, and I can’t tell the difference, maybe the 3400 just the newest model? I’ll have to look into that, it’s a bit cheaper.

1 Like

The video above should be for the 3100, but I prefer the 3400 for some added protections (primarily the thermally activated fan) but also a bit nicer lcd IIRC. As most know, heat is the the quickest killer of most electronics. :wink:

3 Likes

I chose the XTAR VC4 above because it displays MaH. Here’s a great price thanks to @Whiterose0818

5 Likes

I’m pretty sure both of the Opus units mentioned above do as well… But the price on the VC4 is what’s got me really going "do I need all the extra? Lol

But I’m torn because usually the old adage of" you get what pay for" rings true IME as a tech (not just as a consumer). There’s always exceptions though, and it’s usually the skeptic in me that I end up fighting with.

3 Likes

That’s my motto. I paid a little more from Illumn.com and got a brand new item in a sealed box. Works great and is very entertaining to watch your batteries charge (nerd alert!)

3 Likes