Best use of SOUR

There is a great article here that explains the difference acidics and where they originate from organically:

@Wayne_Walker you might like this too

5 Likes

Soā€¦ (just thinking out loud here) This leads me to wonder what other sour additives might be more effective at getting that sour feeling without added tasteā€¦? @Wayne_Walker have you used other things besides malic acid to try to make sour flavors? Maybe a combo of malic and citric acid might give a better result. I think maybe pyure might work for adding a rounded out sour flavor since it has the vinegar and citric acid in it along with the stevia.

1 Like

Sweet, thanks! (Well, not ā€œsweetā€ā€¦ You know what I mean. :wink: )

1 Like

Purely by accident, they tell me Iā€™ll unpucker in six to eight months lmao

1 Like

Now THAT is very useful! Thank you!

1 Like

Great help guys. I am new to mixing and love sour candy. I have ordered my first lot of flavors and {this should tell you something} the only double order out 25 was two bottles of sour. Again great thread. thanks

2 Likes

@Wayne_Walker I watched your video with interest. Iā€™m a pretty new mixer, but I have been home brewing beer for some years which is where I came across lactic acid as an additive for certain sour beer types. It give a clean, tartness to a beer, and Iā€™ve used it in salad dressings to good effect as well. It occurs naturally in some wild-fermented beers and the famous German Berlinerweisse beer style (from the lactobacillus bacteria which ferments these types of beer).

Citric acid is also used in cider making (along with malic) and all these food grade acids are probably worth experimenting with.

If I get the inclination, I might try each of them (malic, citric, lactic) dissolved in a bit of VG and tested out as a concentrate.

I am a big fan of sour vapes (as they go well with sour beers, which I drink quite a lot of). Sour sweets are also quite nice IMHO, so definitely an area worth exploring.

The lactic acid stuff sounds interesting. I will definitely look more into it. I have used Citric/Malic and to no avail. They get kind of close, but not exactly the type of sour most are looking for. The hunt continues. Thanks for the suggestions.

Maybe this article for citric acid helps.
I havenā€™t test anythink yet.

1 Like

i was thinking the same todayā€¦

i thought working on something Sour with organic vinegar (like 1drop/10ml), but i donā€™t know how this will work specially after a long steepingā€¦ i would love to know the community opinions about it :slight_smile:

as far i know organic vinegar helps specially with fruity flavors to pop betterā€¦ but not sure in combination :confused:

Jim, I know your comment is a few years old, but you sound like the man I need to talk to, and I donā€™t really know how else to contact other members. Iā€™m hoping you could help me out with something. Iā€™ve been DIY mixing for a few years, but Iā€™ve never been all that great at creating my own recipes from scratch. Iā€™m trying to make a tart grape flavored vape juice. Hereā€™s what Iā€™ve come up with so far, but to me it tastes too artificial. Any help would be greatly appreciated. The three grape flavors I used are the only grape flavors I own, but thatā€™s not to say I canā€™t pick up anything else I may need. Hereā€™s what I have so far. I adapted it from another personā€™s recipe, but as you can see, mine is NOTHING like the original. I mostly just used theirs as a template. Youā€™ll see I also used your Malic Acid recipe to try and add some tartness, so I just consider it another flavor that I call ā€œsour.ā€ Let me know how I might be able to improve this recipe, if Iā€™ve gone too heavy on any of the grapes, and so on. That also goes for anyone else who might see this and have some insight into how I can make the ultimate tangy grape vape juice. Calling it ā€œGrapistā€. Please and thank you. Check cookies

2 Likes
2 Likes