Better flavour from tanks than drippers?!?

For me, I am not as restricted on placement of the coils on an RDA opposed to an RTA.

With an RTA I am limited to where I can place my coils height wise and close to the airflow.

With an RDA I can place my coils close to the sides, on side airflow RDAs, offering a direct hit to the underside of the coil. Also adjusting the coil height where the airflow hits to the middle to bottom or very bottom of the coil. This is important to me because I don’t care for bottom airflow RDAs. I always have weeping or a bad habit of over dripping or poor wicking with bottom airflow. These are just faults of mine. Side airflow gets me where I want to be without the worry of weeping or overdrip.

Flavor from an RDA is better to me because I get the heated juice just a few mm from tongue. With an RTA the coils are farther away and flavor diminishes. While I still get good flavor from an RTA, the closer to the coil my tastebuds, the better the flavor. This is most noticible to me with the Aromamizer Plus.

The Aromamizer Plus kit gives me the option of RDTA, 5ml, 10ml, and 20ml capacities. There is a noticble drop of of flavor the farther I get from the coil. With the 20ml set up the coils are almost 2 inches from lips. Flavor improves when I remove an extension and take it down to a 10ml set up. Flavor is dramatically improved when I put the shorty chimney and 5ml glass on. The only downside trade off off is refilling more often.

So, for me, the closer to the action the better the flavor. This is way I prefer RDAs and I think I get better flavor.
-ability to place my coils where I want them
-tastebuds and vapor are as close as they can get

5 Likes

My understanding of it is.

RDTA: The tank section is located underneath the build deck section and the wicks come out of the coil and extend down into the tank section.

RTA: The tank section is above the build deck section and the build deck is separated from the tank by the chimney section in the center.

Not sure if this is a good explanation or not but that is my understanding of the difference.

7 Likes

That is my opinion as well , all of the rdta’s seem to have a genesis style about them.
As far as my opinion on best flavor.
I feel I get the best flavor from my rda’s for the same reason as mentioned by @TheTinMan but I vape heavy sweet deserts with the exception of a few net’s. I can get fine flavor from any atty.
The bottom line …whatever works for you,works for you.Vape On!:love_you_gesture:

6 Likes

Hopefully not to get to far off topic, but I wonder how much a mix plays into all of this.

One of my favorite mixes, Hawaiian POG clone at 70/30, taste better in a lower wattage RTA than a low ohm, high wattage RDA build. In fact, most of my 80/20 mixes seem to taste better in an RDA opposed the the 70/30 mixes. Yet to test a lower build in majority of my RDAs to see if it will ehnhance the 70/30 mixes.

4 Likes

I think a couple issues here are mentioned that probably require a different thread.
That people don’t like to drip and keep walking with their e-liquid bottle, I can understand. This has nothing to do with the quality of flavor you get from your RDA though.
Also people complaining about drippers not being consistent in their vaping experience, that the first couple puffs are flavorful but then fade away… Maybe something’s wrong with your wicking? I’m using a Scottish (or Sushi) Roll, it just holds a ton of juice and keeps on giving plenty flavor.

The only difference I do from what this guy does, is trim the tails, like some say you should do with rayon. Just a few strands of cotton will touch the deck and it wicks like a champ.
3 Likes

My old buddy Shanno :heart:
Big Bapor Wow :kissing::dash::dash::dash:

2 Likes

I see the same variation in RDAs. For example, earlier today I had a fruit juice in my Drop and it was just ok. It’s one of my favorites and it’s fantastic in a Hadaly. I switched over to a predominantly Milk & Honey recipe and it’s full on flavor. The coil at .3 is the same and not much variation in temp.

3 Likes

I will be the third person now to say this, but augvape boreas v1 or ftw lol I voted rta solely because of the boreas

2 Likes

I have both RTAs and RDAs, and have for some time made the choice to vaporize in an RTA for convenience …
As for having a better taste, both you have a taste of shit in a dripper, and a good flavor in an iron clothes steam, depending on the juice that you put the inside! :rofl:

3 Likes

I feel the flavor profile can change greatly when trying different builds and increased power.My opinion is that most all mixes will vary a little bit depending on the power used when vaping.
My heavy deserts not so much but my NET’s will vary greatly , some of my pipe and cigar blends have slight floral notes that will get lost if using a sub ohm setup.
I haven’t experimented much with my PG/VG ratio’s other than some of the NET’s I purchased are 100% VG. I just add more PG to those and keep all of them in the 70/30 range.

I think we sometimes get caught up in all this “best” idea . There is no wrong way to stay tobacco free. My way is only best for me and only best for today as tomorrow I may find the new “best” way !:thinking:

4 Likes

@anon28032772 That’s a fair point. When I first started vaping, I dripped for years, and it was kind of a PITA. My ultimate thing however, is flavor, as I’ll put up with a lot of BS for great flavor.

6 Likes

@SessionDrummer, @Mark_Turner, @MysticRose and other aromamizer users. I’m curious to know what you build on the Steam Crave units, can you please elaborate for me :smiley:

About a month ago I purchased a aromamizer supreme v2 and I was disappointed by the flavor compared to the Kayfun 5 clone, which has been my daily driver for some time. I think that I’m way under powering the supreme with one SS fused clapton that ohms out at 0.21 and works best at about 40W. Don’t get me wrong, the flavor is O.K. but if I put the same coil in the Kayfun it would be unreal.

More along the lines of the thread, When I use the supreme v2 in dripper mode I find that the flavor is stronger than when in tank mode. Sadly that’s the only dipper experience that I have, I’m far too lazy to refill every couple of puffs.

5 Likes

My build on the Aromamizer is a simple dual vertical with K1 the oHm resistance is .25~.30 nothing special. Although I truly believe for this RDTA a vertical build is quintessential.

4 Likes

I have been using my CCI Archon RDA for about 2 years now with the cloud cap and dual post setup, dual 12 wrap coils SS at 3.0 mm hitting around 64 watts, or in TC mode at 420 degrees at 60 watts. It took some time before I found my sweet spot. Even with tanking it took time to find the right spot to hit at.

2 Likes

I can’t speak for the supreme, plus or/and titan, neither for the v2 deck I never purchased
additionally but I can tell you the build in the Aromamizer v1, that works for me lol.

Staggered fused Clapton’s @2.5 mm - 7 wraps and yes you need to squeeze the hell out of that since it barely fits under the chamber. I have maybe a hair between post and coil as well as outter coil and chimney. I always pray that the cotton won’t get bigger then intended lol.

Running it at around 365 - 380F in xxx mode on my hohmwrecker g2. Or around 55 watts in wattage mode on my other mods.

3 Likes

I’m yet to understand how a vertical build is better, not that I doubt it. My logic suggested that there was less wicking potential by only having one end of the cotton in the juice, thus horizontal is better but my logic is often proved wrong and I accept that. Can you fit bigger coils in vertically? I have notice that things get a bit tight with horizontal builds.

I actually thought about jamming the last coil in the “other way”, I’ve never done it before and decided not to because it looked like it would be tricky to wick. Do you thread the wick through the bottom or top of the coil?

Also, how much power are you pumping into it? I’m wondering if i need to ramp things up in order to make it live up to it’s reputation.

2 Likes

@cooper1 @Mark_Turner took the words right out of my mouth. This is what makes the SC’s so good, you don’t need a complex build, it will taste great on simple builds, all day long. Sometimes less is more, and then some. Try using some simpler coils, try adjusting their height as well. I’ve never had an issue with any of the 4 models that I have regarding coil height and flavor issues, but maybe shoot us a pic of your builds for more help. Like Mark I have landed FIRMLY into the vertical coil camp after having nothing but years of great flavor with them.

3 Likes

I wick from the top of the coil. Pull thru and snip just long enough to have contact with the deck. But not so long that I am packing cotton in under the coil.
The coils inner diameter depending on which model of the Aromamizer is 2.5mm or 3.0mm.
Depending on the flavor profile I run my Aromamizers between 80w~100watts and consistently between .25~.30 oHm resistance.
I hope that is helpful @cooper1

2 Likes

@cooper1 Better is a very subjective term. Unless you’re vaping very high wattage, or chain vaping, a single tailed vertical coil/wick won’t run dry on you. With verts. the airflow and flavor can be different than horizontals. Easy to build, simple to wick, etc.

You may have to use less wraps so you can fit the wick through, but I’ve never had an issue with 24 ga. 7 wraps. I always feed my wicks in from the top, pull thtough, cut the top even with the top of the coil, then cut/fluff/fan out and stuff the tails in the deck.

2 Likes

@Mark_Turner is right about laying the cotton in the deck, not packing it in.

2 Likes