Capella (NEW) Single Flavor Tests by SessionDrummer

Shortbread (CAP) 3.5% (1-17-22) – It appears that BCF is having a hard time keeping this one (and others) in stock, so must be a good sign, right ?? Hehe, we’ll just see about that. Initially when I tested this one, I did a DOUBLE TAKE. Now, not because it was terrible, or off-putting, but UNEXPECTED. What, you say ?? Well, I’d swear this one was almost like a Pumpkin Bread, but without the Pumpkin. Yes, you read that right. I double, and tripple checked, to make sure nothing was wrong on my end, and that’s what I get from this one. Now, this is going to be hell for me to rate, as it’s a GREAT flavor, I just don’t think it’s a shortbread. At times I could get a LITTLE buttery-ness, and almost shortbread-ed-ness, but the majority of the time, it presented as a pumpking bread, missing the pumpkin, or even a ginger bread, minus the ginger. Sound confusing, good, welcome to MY world. In no ways was it off-putting, but it really came across far too dark, and almost spice (like) to be a light, shortbread. If this is a shortbread, it’s like none that I’ve ever tried. Regardless of it’s namesake or lack thereof, it was actually hella delicious, for WHATEVER it was. Just below or at mid-level sweet, with literally no off-putting notes, and with no indication of hitting the ceiling. @ 4% it was a nice, rich, almost dark cookie, that (repeating) just leaned towards a pumpkin or gingerbread cookie more than anything else. NO overt spices, but it’s like they were IN there. Quite good, and damned fine, as a solo too boot. I am enjoying this one SOO much, I’m going to have to DOUBLE RATE it. No other way, it’s too good. OK, for a “shortbread cookie”, I would have to go low, maybe 5.5/10, BUT, as a (I have no clue), maybe a cookie base for a gingerbread, or pumpkin bread, I would have to rate it at a 10/10. You guys NEED to get this one, and YOU sound off, what YOU get from it. Don’t buy it to be used as a shortbread, but get it anyway, and ENJOY it, just like I am. Bad name Capella, but GREAT flavor !!!

19 Likes

You nailed this. This is my favorite one right now and if you mix it with custard cake, it’s fantastic. Love it.

10 Likes

Wow, thank you VERY much @SolteroDIY. I really thought I had screwed up my testers, or something. Glad to hear at least I got THIS one right hehe.

6 Likes

OH YES, I can see THAT working out GREAT !!!

5 Likes

Your a freakin Rockstar. Thank you for these reviews. I really really appreciate them.

8 Likes

You’re very kind @robin, and I hope they help you.

:slight_smile:

6 Likes

I agree, thank you! Very helpful :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thank you very much @SolteroDIY.

2 Likes

I’m glad I held off, doesn’t sound like something I need. Thank you for the review!

4 Likes

You’re welcome @Lynda_Marie. I can’t see using it for a shortbread, but if you wanted to build a gingerbread or pumpkin bread, you be almost all the way there with it.

2 Likes

I love SSA shortbread, but my daughter (she’s 24,just mentioning that) wants me to create a pumpkin something, so maybe I’ll grab a small amount when available to mess with it. So far, Custard Cake and vanilla milk froth are my favorite. I made a vanilla milk steamer that’s really delightful!

5 Likes

Agreed, SSA’s shortbread has got to be the MOST accurate one I’ve ever tried. If she wanted a PumpkinBread, it would be soo simple with the CAPS SB, literally add a little FLV Pumpkin Spice, a smidge of icing, maybe even a dash of LA’s Cream Cheese Icing, DONE.

4 Likes

I wonder how CAP Milkshake is compared to MB Milkshake. That one was on my list for some time (and MB hasn’t let me down yet). Anyone have that one (or both)?

Edit: now i saw you have them both @SessionDrummer… if only one is the option, which one should i take?

4 Likes

Wow, that’s a tough one. I think the CAP’s was cleaner with a little less mouthfeel than the MB. They were different yet close. I rated both high, so for my tastes, it’s close. The slightly more present creamy/mouthfeel would be MB.

6 Likes

Excellent! Thanks so much!

3 Likes

Thank you @Lynda_Marie.

7 Likes

Sticky Bun (CAP) 4% (1-18-22) – When I first saw this one, I feared, no FEARED, that there might be some CAP Glazed Donut in it, that has plagued me with PlayDoh since I tried it, years ago. GREAT NEWS, it’s NOT here !!! OK, but what is. An almost perfect Sticky Bun. Now you might have to tweak it, JUST a pinch, depending on YOUR tastes. The dough is fairly low in the mix, as is the cinnamon, which I think was almost brilliant, as they are not FORCED on you, BUT, they’re still there, just a little lower in the mix. The almost buttery honey-ness is beyond reproach, and it super authentic, smooth, and deliciously done. You may find yourself checking your fingers for sticky-ness after trying this one. Buttery rich, and smooth, the topping steals the show here, with an almost honey kissed finish. You could easily spike it with your favorite yeasty dough, maybe a smidge of Biscuit, or Cinnamon if you need to, but even as is, very convincing. I like that CAP held off on any heavy yeasty dough or heavy handed cinnamon, because you can just tweak (if at all), if you want to. Nicely rich and slightly above mid level sweet @ 4%, you may find this hard to put down. Later I may experiment by boosting the dough a bit, but I have to put it down long enough TO do that. Want a great sticky bun, click, click, “Buy Now”. 9.5/10.

15 Likes

So glad to see this Mango (FE) review from you, SD! Mango Mafia is still one of my ADV, so I’m glad I held your feet to the fire to try it. BTW, Dave a.k.a. MixMeister has an almost identical recipe flavor wise called Mango Slice. It is truly delicious as well! If I ever run out of Mango Mafia and if it ever gets discontinued, then I have my new ADV, lol.

Thanks for the new CAP flavors reviews, they are so helpful!

5 Likes

That’s a great Mano recipe @KC111. No FE Mango in it, hmmmm…

Thank you.

3 Likes

If you mixed up Mango Slice, did you see any similarities to Mango Mafia?

3 Likes