Choice Tobaccos for NET

Almost forgot to ask, how about a quick list for us of what those other five are???

1 Like

I knew someone would ask that question :] Wasn’t, and still not, prepared to summarize adequately, but will try.

I did take your advice to heart a few months back, and broadened the diversity of tobaccos. This made perfect sense, considering the time involved for each extract, and my total lack of experience with tobaccos whatever.

Also, to further cover the spectrum of options, I extracted each tobacco blend in both PG and PGA, side by side for comparison of the two solvent methods. So this netted me 12 different extracts to try.
Generally speaking, the PGA extracts were much cleaner tasting, smoother, and weaker, requiring about 5% more in the e-liquid than their counterpart PG extracts. The PGA extracts were also, as expected, easier on coils/gunk, maybe twice as much so.

I’m also trying the mixes in different devices, which we all know can have great effect on flavor profiles, no matter what we are vaping.

This whole process has been rather fun.

Early in the testing it became apparent that I really had no idea how to take notes. I mean, I had/have nothing to compare the flavors with. Still trying to work that out, but still taking notes nonetheless. “Tastes like tobacco”, “tastes like manure”, “too weak”, “too much VG”. That is about the extent my taste-testing sophistication.

I will look at your notes and try to learn something.
Hope that nobody takes any of my opinions below seriously. And bear in mind that I am still playing with percentages and VG/PG ratios and the like.

Here is what I’ve tried: I like them all Except the Danish Export, which is the one that stunk of manure from the time I was filtering it to the time it was vaped, no matter how it was extracted or mixed.

Pipe Tobaccos
Missouri Meerschaum: American Patriot
As mentioned above, set apart from the other five NETs in a good way. Bold, authentic nature to it, with a kick note that I am unqualified to describe.

Daughters & Ryan: Picayune
Peter Stokkebye: Optimum
Not sure why, but these two I tend to put in a like category. Both are pleasant, tasteful, smooth.
Maybe the the Optimum is on the warm sweeter side, and the Picayune on the bolder, tobacco-ey side.

Sutliff: Molto Dolce
Rich, sweet, thick, cupcake, chocolate? Really good. This is a dense, sticky tobacco.

Cigar
Partagas: Black Label Classico
Distinct. Different profile altogether. Good, though. Was never a cigar smoker. Very weak. Took several trials get flavor. Should have let the extract steep much longer (than 45-50 days). Maybe try a different PG:Tob. ratio (than 8:1)

RYO Cigarette
Peter Stokkebye: Danish Export 91
Stunk like manure. That’s all. Just drew a big X on the bottle. :] This was apparently a better seller at the local B&M. So this might be a glaring example: what you get from something when you light it up and what you get when you extract/vape it are entirely different.

5 Likes

Great work ! You are on the road, doing fine !!!

Yes, the Partagas cigar takes 6 months. Short time on Pure Leaf and Cigar extractions is a universal mis-step. Now you know !

Very good on your side by side EA and PG extractions, this is also a very important experiment that is all too often neglected. You might try making some vape juice that combine each of those two solvents, maybe 50/50, from the same feedstock tobacco. I do this all the time to fill out and complete the flavor profile from certain tobaccos. It works spectacularly well with C&D Habana Daydream, which is one of my all time top 10 favorite extractions.

Thanks for taking the time to give us all the above details. Looks like we gained a serious NETer, to the club. Keep us updated as you see fit, and as you have the time.

-:grin:

1 Like

Many thanks to you and @Kinnikinnick also, and others here. I’ll share as I am able.

workin on da net

2 Likes

Giving a :+1: to:
Newminster 403 Superior Round Slices (1oz bulk purchase)

Vendor notes:
Dark Fired Kentucky
Virginia
(Non-Aromatic)

Newminster No. 403 Superior Round Slices starts with a core of dark-fired Kentucky, around which premium flue-cured leaves are wrapped and spun into a rope & sliced. The flavor is typically sweet Virginia with an undertone that’s spicy and slightly smoky - slightly on the full side of medium bodied.

My NET version was a PG, heat assist maceration (8 hours @ 125 degrees), which cool steeped for roughly 9 months. No real reason for the long steep; the jar just got overlooked in the back of the cupboard for a while. This extract was mixed at 15%; the result was very satisfying. I’m putting this one in the ADV category. The Virginia adds just a slight sweetness to the vape, while the pleasing smokey boldness of the DF Kentucky really stands out; yet not oppressively so. This has been a nice departure from my usual smokey Latakia blended NETs.

Just some light reading:

Enjoy :sunglasses:

1 Like

@Kinnikinnick how did that Izmir Turkish turn out? I had a cart filled up at leafonly a couple weeks ago with some of that in there, but never pulled the trigger because I’ve got so many other NETs sitting around, but don’t vape a whole lot of them because I’m still a little baby about coil gunk.

And just to throw out my favorite NET that I’ve done so far: Solani Aged Burley Flake. I did 3 month cold maceration in PG, and mix it at 3%. So much flavor. It’s dark and has some nuttiness and sort of a molasses sweetness to it.

Other than that my other favorites have been Dunhill Nightcap and Early Morning Pipe.

2 Likes

I put it into a jar 12/3/17, but haven’t filtered it yet… guessing 7 months should be about enough time for it cool steeping to vapable goodness. I’ll hit a sample out of the jar and see if it’s time to harvest. :thinking:

Ahhhh yes… this is an issue with the NET, but after a while I just called it part of my daily routine. Thus, the reason I finally settled into a KF V5; so easy to rewick… about 3 minutes.

Nice lineup! Personally, I haven’t extracted those, but I probably have a few which move along the same lines.

I’ll give you a heads up on the Izmir when I throw it in a dripper. :+1: I’m hoping it’s stand alone pleasant and not too mono-flavored. No matter, there are lots of other single varietal NET extractions I can pair with the whole leaf Izmir. :grinning:

2 Likes

I was just looking at my “need to filter” jars and was a little surprised that what’s left has all been sitting there over a year now. Should have some real nice flavor for those :slight_smile:

I’ve also still got the first NET I did about 3.5 years ago with some American Spirits RYO Tobacco. I probably did a really bad filter job on that, so it’s probably been sucking up a little more flavor throughout the years. Maybe I’ll be brave and run it through the Aeropress and see how it is. BTW, I picked up the Aeropress technique from your write up here, so thanks for that!

2 Likes

Time in the jar couldn’t hurt and might help… :wink: I know everyone has their own maceration methods… mine includes a little gentle heat assist at the start… but, I’ve had some great extractions at 30 days in the jar and some really crappy extraction at 9 months in the jar. Given this, we’re kinda over a barrel, depending upon what the tobacco(s) can offer.

I’ve done the same thing a few times myself. It made me feel a bit better running it though a finer micron filter, rather than a couple of Mr. Coffee filters. I must admit, however, a few of my original extraction found their way down the drain. Particularly my extraction of Peter Stokkebye London Export… the tobacco I used to roll and smoke for +/- 15 years. No matter the filtering process, it just didn’t work as an extraction for vaping… not at all tasty, as I hoped it would be. Oh well… win some, lose some. I hope we all have more winners than losers. :wink:

1 Like

I have extracted some tinned Izmir from C&D, not the whole leaf from LeafsOnly like I think what you and @Kinnikinnick are working with. but anyway here is my tasting notes. You can see I regard it as a Blender, not a stand alone ADV. It might go very well with the Dunhill NightCap. I have extracted that as well, and like it alot. here are both those tasting notes:

Sample#23- C&D Izmir Turkish
​This is an extract for the more advanced tobacco vaper that wants to try blending several extracts to create their own. These Turkish/Oriental tobaccos are commonly mixed with Latakia in English blends. While most Orientals out there are generic admixtures of various regional tobaccos from around the Mediterranean, C&D’s is pure Izmir. Although you can vape this on its own, I found use for it to blend with strong English extracts like Billy Bud.

Sample#46- Dunhill Nightcap- Latakia, Oriental Turkish, Perique, Virgina - This is a English Pipe Shop Blend with a Latakia forward dominant aroma and presence. but unlike some blends of this type this one has a tamer and well rounded overall sense. It is a very approachable vape in the English Blends. Not a ADV, but would be great later at night with a glass of Brandy. Recommended

Have fun ! - :grin:

PS: If you like the idea if using Turkish/Oriental for blending here is another that I have used for that purpose, and it worked very well. I got an interesting and very tasty blend with it and American Native Vision Hunter Fire - which is a highly recommended standalone ADV in its own right. !!

Sample#18 - D&R Ramback -Oriental/Turkish -The Turkish is choice: fairly woody, earthy, and toasty, slightly floral and spicy, with a few sweet and sour notes. A very nice Turkish blend recalling a freshly cracked pack of Camels.The exhale contains flavors and a earthy darker tobacco flavor. There is a very slight hint of sweetness that lingers on the pallet for awhile

1 Like

Thanks for the notes! That Ramback sounds pretty interesting to me since I was a Camel smoker. Might have to pick up an ounce next time I buy some more tobacco. I’ll probably want to do another round with the Saloni Aged Burley, so I imagine the next order will be sooner rather than later. Besides the English blends that I’ve extracted that included some orientals, the only pure Turkish I’ve done I believe was just the Pipes and Cigars blending Turkish. It’s been a while since I tested it, but it did give me some Camel Turkish Silver vibes. Probably worth another try.

https://mega.nz/#!pZZwRSTS!i4pqsK7zRLLkhlPvQ0c4PACbNbOIAmgpkSbq6emFT1c

TOBACCO FLAVORING FOR SMOKING PRODUCTS
by
John C. Leffingwell Harvey J. Young Edward Bernasek
© R. J. REYNOLDS TOBACCO COMPANY 1972 Winston-Salem, North Carolina

You might want to go directly to the main Leffingwell site for this download,.. When you are there you can look over this vast storehouse of information aimed at the Perfume, Flavor, Food and Beverage Industries.

I have visited this site from time to time when researching the odd and arcane in the flavoring world. I would make however: One caution, like many of these folks in the commercial world that are close to FEMS GRAS and operate as a collection of “experts committees” that consult to industry and government regulatory agencies, you have to watch the validity of the “science” very carefully. As I have pointed out in other posts, scientists are people too, as we know all too well from watching the nonsense junk science used to support the anti-vaping movement, scientists can chase grant funds and otherwise seek cosy relationships that feed on ‘the correct point of view’, and they become part of the problem, and the ‘science’ can be very shaky and loosely wrapped at best.

So not everything on the site can be taken as "real’. But with that said, it is a fascinating collection of material and worthy of a look.

1 Like

After completing a full filter on the Izmir and mixing it stand alone (15%)… it was kinda how I thought it would turn out; a candidate as a blending extract. In other words, it’s not very spectacular as a stand alone vape. However, mix it in equal parts (5%) with some other single varietal NET, such as Green River Black Cavendish and St. James Perique… now we have a winner. :sunglasses:

The Izmir has that spicy tang funk of a Turkish tobacco, but it needs a little something to sweeten it up a bit and add some depth to a somewhat mono-flavored tobacco extract.

1 Like

A Question, plaese dont kill me :sunglasses:
I use “untreated” whole leaf tobacco
from here to make my NET.
Reason of "Untreated" is
i wanna avoid the nasties put in by BT
in the treated tobacco stuff.

So why some peeps are using “finished” flavored tobacco 4 NET?
Like: I was smoking DRUM, lets make a NET from DRUM?

Is it just a reminiscence to old days and tastes?
And whats the price we pay for that kind of nostalgy?

The most authentic Marlborough Menthol Clone i made with NET
from Kentucky @15% from the above mentioned supplyer and diy Menthol to taste…

I am only curious and in no way negative. I will be happy to learn!

1 Like

I think you answered your own question right there… :wink:

2 Likes
Tobacco Mac Baren HH Old Dark Fired
Blend Type Virginia/Burley
Contents Burley, Kentucky, Virginia
Flavoring None
Cut Ready Rubbed
Extraction Cold PG, 1 year 2 months
Mixed 10%, 50/50
Vaped On Berserker Mini, 26 g 316L spaced coil, 6 wraps. 17 Watts.

When I sampled this as it was mid-filter, I thought I tasted something that reminded me of Perique. Now that I’ve got it in my Berserker Mini, which is where I truly enjoy my NETs, I see that perhaps I mistook the spiciness of the Kentucky for Perique. Now it’s making more sense to me. It almost tastes like this was cured over a barbecue brisket. It’s got a familiar tang to it that reminds me of a smoky BBQ sauce. It bites the tongue in a very satisfying way.

The Virginia here seems to be a little bit of an afterthought. I believe I can taste it, but it seems to be working more to take some of the edge off of the Kentucky. I’ve read some reviews that state they get some fruit notes from the Virginia, and perhaps that is what was aiding in my initial thought of Perique. But in the tank I’m not really getting the fruit notes. Mostly just that interesting BBQ taste. It’s a really nice alternative to the Latakia blends that I usually extract. It’s got a different kind of smokiness and spice. Off the top of my head, this is my first experience with a blend that contains Kentucky, and now I’m pretty excited to try some more.

I think when I mix this up again I will mix it at 15%. Not that the flavor is necessarily lacking at 10%, but I think it would be better if it were a little more intense. Now, I’m off to try to clone this with synthetic tobaccos :smiley:

6 Likes

Good luck on that !!! ROTFL -:rofl::upside_down_face::laughing:

2 Likes

So true. I’m a big fan of the dark fired Kentucky, as well as stoved or pressed tobaccos. The word rustic, comes to mind. That wood smoke flavor is what keeps me coming back to blends such as this. :wink: Glad you had success!

2 Likes