Cinnamon flavor

I myself have (only) used Vapage’s (to my own lungs rather irritating) “Classic Tobacco” flavored e-juice, and subsequently explored (DIY) NET flavor extracts (preference for Virginia, Perique, and Cavendish blends). I can only “speak” to those particular (perceived through my own personal “prisms”) experiences.

Note that “organic” or not - and independent of whether the source of the Cinnamon is the widely distributed “Cassia” type, or the much more pricey “true” Ceylon Cinnamon - the alleged to be dangerous molecules to heat and inhale (“parent” molecules, and possibly their various reaction and/or decomposition products) seem to be Cinnamaldehyde (CAD) and 2-methoxycinnamaldehyde (2MOCA). There (may, possibly) not be any particular way around that (perhaps vexing) situation - save perhaps for limiting “vaporization” temps considerably (to what values I know not, and with what various aesthetic effects I also cannot anticipate).

An (additional) possible toxicological concern when flavor ingredients are extracted from (primarily) “Cassia” Cinnamon types is the presence of the (potentially) hepatotoxic pleasant tasting substance Coumarin (said to exist at up to 1% or so in “Cassia” Cinnamon types). Coumarin (and the serious liver damage that it can cause in certain individuals) is the reason that total Cinnamon content in servings of food sold is limited by regulation in certain European countries. Here is the Toxnet listing for Coumarin. Something to consider.

2 Likes

Organic is what I use. That’s also what they carry at diyvaporsupply. Easier to try from them since it’s only 2 bucks plus shipping. They also have Organic Diacetyl-free Extracts on the NF website, but it’s around $12 per 30ml for anything there, no smaller bottles. Use extracts, not concentrates!

2 Likes

It’s very good!

1 Like

“Divining” the (actual, applicable) meaning of the term “organic” seems to be a non-trivial exercise ?

3 Likes

Natbone was asking me about a specific product line. Thanks for jumping in with all the extra information!

3 Likes

“The chicken excretes (14)C-labeled coumarin similar to man and suggests that this species is most appropriate model for coumarin pharmacodynamic studies applicable to humans. Analysis of urine from infused and control side kidneys indicate negative coumarin tubular secretion.”

They beat out the Albino rats…who would’ve thunk! :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Thanks. DIY won’t ship to me and using a forwarder can be too expensive. NF will ship to me but it’s a bit pricey. Their cost for 30ml/1 oz is $14 but if I buy 240 ml it goes down to $3.60 per oz…that’s a shitload of danish!!

2 Likes

Have seen some weird animal-model stuff in perusing journals. “Rat Brain Homegenate” (the soupy end of said test-rodent brain, upon decapitation at the salient time of scientific interest), and “Chronic Spinal Dog” (intentionally made to be Morphine dependent pup, via constant intra-spinal fluid drip). Always thought that they would (still might ?) make great punk-band-names ? Hard to get much weirder than “Unicorn Puke” (e-juice brand), though. Even my "Free Range Non-GMO Corned Beef Shank” flavor recipe falls short … :stuck_out_tongue:

Coumarin has a wide variety of uses in industry, … Its uses include … a flavor/odor stabilizer in tobaccos … In primates, such as man and baboons, the major metabolite formed is 7-OHC (68-92%) … it t was shown that the pharmacokinetic profile of coumarin in baboons was similar to that in man … Coumarin is often considered as a pro-drug due to its rapid metabolism to form 7-OHC. … In 1954 coumarin was banned from use by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Previously, it had been used in foodstuffs, and since then there has been an ongoing dispute over its toxicity. The data on which the FDA made their decision were derived mainly from animal studies using rats. The preliminary results indicated that coumarin was a hepatotoxin.

Lots of info, and rather in-depth toxicological analysis of Coumarin (with regards to numerous critters) here.

2 Likes

Where are you? Aus? EU?

1 Like

From our summertime topic

3 Likes

Yep, and right now at 1800 the temp is only 102/39 degrees. My feet are a bit cold. I

3 Likes

I can check and see what it would cost to ship a bottle myself. If it’s less than shipping direct from a seller, I don’t mind a little effort. It’s likely, though, that it will still not be worth the price for something you’re not sure if you’ll like.
https://pe.usps.com/text/imm/tz_017.htm

2 Likes

Thanks for the offer, I appreciate it. There’s no rush to get some, I’m sure I’ll get some eventually. I’m trying not to buy any more flavors for awhile.

2 Likes