Coils - Store bought vs homemade

It was 6 wraps using the screwdriver that came with the billow (which is tiny). It reads .9 ohms. Right now it’s on an istick 30, but at the end of the week I’m getting something higher power so I can take full advantage of the tank. Either an xcube 2 or IPV3 LI.

Also I should add I’m running it single coil because I can’t get 2 coils running with a high enough resistance for my istick to fire.

2 Likes

Istick 30w that’s a .4ohm minimum resistance.

If you increased the internal diameter of the coil and kept it at 6 wraps you’d get a dual coil around .5-.6ohms.

The little blue driver is about 1.8mm in diameter. I build generally between 2-2.4mm for the billow.

CMJ

2 Likes

Interesting. There’s still a lot I need to learn. I’ve been playing around on steamengine. I’m gonna try and get this thing dual coil then.

first if all welcome and read around you’ll learn alot here and all coils no matter what kind need to season even the tc ti some of us use NEED TO SEASON like a good cast frying pan

3 Likes

You can now use the diameter function on steam engine as 1.8mm it will probably increase your wraps to 7 for a dual coil.

CMJ

3 Likes

Thanks for the help everyone. Making juice and coils is the shit. So much money to be saved, and it’s a pretty fun hobby.

2 Likes

You do realize, once you’ve gone down the “rabbit hole” of making your own coils, there is no getting out! ; )

5 Likes

Also, truth be told… as of yet I really don’t know if I have “really” saved too much money as of yet… the more you hang around with the riff-raff here (is that a Rocky Horror analogy?), the more you find out that there is just soooooo much more you want to buy and try… lol scales, and bottles, and maybe a mixer, another dozen flavors to get and possibly send to the poor ol’ island of misfit flavors…, but even if you find your just breaking even, your progressing thru a learning curve with a lot of help.

7 Likes

lol you might find me hanging by some kanthal wire from the rafters…that might be a little too dark … sorry…
anyway, i got 2 coils setup in this thing reading at .7 ohms. its a very smooth vape so far. i didnt have it wicked properly either, but this time it’s all good. it doesn’t have nearly the amount of “new” coil taste i was talking about before.

1 Like

That’s true. The next step is to buy a scale and make some big batches. I just can’t imagine going into my vape shop and shelling out $8 to $22 on a bottle anymore.

A good scale that I believe many on this site have purchased only costs between 10 and 14 dollars, it’s a very good investment, mixing by weight is so nice, if you do decide to purchase one, make sure it reads by 0.01 increments not just 0.1
I purchased This one
I see the price has gone up on it, I purchased it for about 12 dollars a month ago.

It’s still not bad. Cheaper than the one I’ve been looking at:

Does the one you listed not have an auto-off “feature”?

It does have an auto off feature I believe… but I don’t think I have ever used it… or I should say that it was never running long enough for the auto off to kick on. I believe someone on the site stated that the scale could be set for different amounts on time for the feature to turn off. Also I think there are a couple of ppl here that also have the scale you listed.

I have the Etekcity one and I like it. It’s never shut off on me when I was actually mixing. I’ve gotten distracted or into a show and had it shut off before, but it took at least three minutes. I believe the numbers that come up if you hold down the tare button relate to the auto off function. They go from 0-180 in increments of 60 so it made sense to me that they’d be minutes. I’m gonna play around with it and I’ll get back to you. :wink:

EDIT: I can now say with 100% certainty that those are in fact the auto off times. It can be set for 1-3 minutes or turned off completely if set to 0. When I set it to 0, the backlight went off after about 5 minutes, but the scale stayed on for another 3 before I turned it off. Good things to know. I had it set to 180, now I’ve put it on 0 cuz forget that auto off malarky. :smile:

3 Likes

You can get the Etekcity from Walmart online and shipped to your local walmart and not pay shipping.

http://www.walmart.com/search/?query=etekcity+scale

2 Likes

I prefer doing as much as I can myself. It’s part of being an enthusiast. If I had a machine shop I’d try building my own stuff all the way around. 'Course I would probably have a frequent flyer type card at the local medical emergency room…

3 Likes

BTW, anyone needing a scale may want to check out www.etekcitizen.com If you frequently review a lot of items on Amazon, they will send you free stuff to review and keep. They dropped me after a few months because I wasn’t reviewing enough (I prefer EBAY) but I did get two scales, digital multimeter and some really cool LED lanterns out of them first. They change items often so they may not have the scales (or they might) at the moment. Check it out.

4 Likes

I have the Etekcity scale. It has never reached 3 minutes shut off while mixing. Was skeptical about using a scale before purchasing. After listening to you guys talk about mixing with a scale got one. So glad I did.

4 Likes

Love both of mine. The days of droppers and syringes are gone with the caveman. Of course I now have a bunch of 1 ml syringes on my mixing station. People look at me funny when they come over…

2 Likes

I gave mine 15 minutes before turning it off. Thanks for this secret setting tip!

1 Like