Collaborating on a Technical Testing Juice

That is right Letitia, given the very large number of variables in the system, including but not limited to humans, this project is just focussed on fixing one variable with a value that can be expected to amplify differences, to be used as one of a bunch of flavours, across a cohort of testers. I am in fact drawing on my experience with scientific methodology in both psychology and physics in proposing this approach as not a solution, but a complement to a battery of experimental tests. Not looking to solve all problems, just create a new tool. 50YearsofCigars’ analogy is not particularly useful (but not entirely wrong either), as I often tune instruments (including virtual instruments in my studio out of monitor speakers) with my ears, fortunately I have near perfect pitch discrimination, but what we are proposing here is more like a test pattern on a display such as is frequently used in graphic design studios, animation studios, film and television - it shows you if your contrast or brightness is way off, or if a display is having trouble producing certain ranges- while there are now electronic tools to measure the outputs of these displays very precisely, you can also look at it and spot an obvious problem very quickly.

4 Likes

Thanks for the tip JiM210, I will give this a crack for sure! Worth posting about I reckon.

2 Likes