Concentrates shelf life

That might be the case for some, but others don’t contain EM. And there’s also a difference between the phrase going bad in my experience.

For example some CAP flavors get less potent over time, flavors like sugar cookie for example and that’s ok.

But I have some FW flavors, example tres de leche that was amazing, when I try it now, just opening the bottle it literally smells different and somewhat stinks. Still mixed it,there’s no actual fading,it just tastes fully different but not in a good way.

It’s not storage error or anything, there’s just something about some of these flavors, that I can’t figure out why they would go bad much quicker etc. But I’ll keep an eye on it. Have to remember I bought them as I was new and didn’t know better lol.

But sometimes I’m on the let’s look at older flavors trip, trust me most of these just ruined that trip lol

1 Like

I’ll bear that it mind! Sometimes I’m tempted (by some of the folk on this board, who else?) to try out some of the PG-free flavours that CAP throw up, seemingly randomly.

I even bought the CAP lime, at one point, but then it swiftly got supplanted by MF lime! who needs CAP when you have MF, eh? Not that I’ve quite got my % staight with the MF lime, as yet, but I’m confident it’s worth persevering with! That’s the thing.

Anyways, you just reduced the level of CAP temptation by several notches! :grin:

1 Like

I suspect the FW flavors that contain fructose/ sugar syrup(tres leches is on that list) spoil more readily than flavorings that do not. They will darken faster, loose flavor and become putrid.

The issue with the cap flavors spoiling is from the LDPE bottles they come in, both the 15ml and 4oz allow air to pass in and out darkening and spoiling the aroma. I notice all lot of DIYers stashs (on DIY or Die for example) keep their flavors in the LDPE they come in. I advise against doing so! I have transfered all mine into hard PET and glass for larger bottles…

Edit: My 15ml of cap vanilla bean icecream was almost black within only a few (3or4) months despite being stored in a dark room

2 Likes

I get mine from NR, it’s just 10ml bottles they rebottle/fill whatever the term is lol.

But I’m happy you pointing that out, just in case I ever get a “original” 15ml cap bottle, I know not to store it in these. Thank you.

2 Likes

The only thing I can add is about flavorah flavors. I had my first order for over a year. A couple I noticed lost potency ex: banana and raspberry. I noticed that the ones that are more concentrated (which are a majority) aren’t affected by time. There are a couple, like the ones mentioned above, that lose strength but those are the one you can comfortably use at 2-2.5 %
I store all concentrates in a locked cupboard, room temp.

The Capella 13ml original bottles have always been a pain. I try to always get them rebottled, usually in 30ml or higher when ordering. They definitely seem to impart a plastic taste to the flavors, and over a year in the OG bottles the plastic becomes a bit more potent. That’s just me though, I have noticed certain flavors that are BA heavy darken quickly if left in the 13ml manufacturers bottle.

4 Likes

well can say some must have a shelf life as i opened up a tub i had some old old ones stored in not used now in like 5+ years to get out something as still waiting for current delivery i ordered late and most of the small 10 ml bottles in there the labels were black with sunlight and all the liquid well was black too some were still ok but most had turned colour but on opening some up and doing a sniff test they smelt fine

4 Likes

Some will be fine as long as you keep them in a cool dark place. But even then weaker concentrates wont past long. Ones that have a recommended 15%-25% last anywhere for 8 months to 16 months. But i still have a few from 4 years ago that are fine. Just extra fermented :man_shrugging:t2:

4 Likes