Cutlass92's first coil!

I hear you. To me, twisted coils seems to hold in more juice and I get great flavor. If you space them, they glow even and are a dream. Don’t get it twisted* lol - I still like SS Fused Claptons - but I don’t make them, just the premade wire spools.

5 Likes

I’ve tried both DIY and premade clapton wire, and I just don’t get much flavor from it. I don’t know if I’m not running them hot enough or if it’s a case of “too much of a good thing”-They just don’t rock my world like twisted wire can. The best coil build I ever vaped was a set of 28 gauge zipper coils I made for my IJoy Combo RDTA. Dual parallel twisted? YES, MA’AM!!

4 Likes

Looks good @Cutlass92. I’m pretty new to making my own coils too. I twisted some SS the other night for my new Goon. Damn that stuff is springy. I had to torch it then wrap it on a 2.5 diameter to come out with a 3 ID. It’d be so much easier to just order premade but I like a challenge. :wink:

5 Likes

@Cutlass92 Great job!! Was it harder or easier than you expected?

I am going to be joining the club myself, shortly. I read an excellent tutorial that was basically RDA’s and coil building for dummies. But that was exactly what I needed! Once I saw the actual process and what not to do, I felt comfortable with trying it, Besides I know that I can get lots of help here when I need it!

I have to get alot of design projects completed before I can do anything with it. So I am not going to even tempt myself by buying anything until I can actually do it!!

What advice do you have based on your experience?

1 Like

the coil master kit @SessionDrummer sent me made it super easy! first coil i made was good! that pic of me holding a coil is literally my first one! other than that
Basic Coil Build for Steam Crave RDTA v.2
this helped alot!

3 Likes

Good advice! Thank you!

2 Likes

Your welcome! i would start simple and go from there! i bought a pack of fancy premades and didnt get any good flavor from them just an odd background flavor built the simple single strand coils and the off flavors went away.

3 Likes

I also like a single wrapped stainless coil 3mm with 7 wraps seems like the sweet spot for me at 65 watts! Dual build ohms out at .2 most of the time lol

2 Likes

Practice make perfect. But do it safely - use steam-engine info! ENJOY THE VAPE

2 Likes

Don’t forget to toss your wire clippings-You DO NOT want to step on those!

4 Likes

that’s probably the best advice i have gotten!

1 Like

Easy way to twist wire (my hilbilly way) find something high ( like a kitchen cabinet overhead) and run a long strand of your desired wire up through the handle/knob and back down even with the other end. Attach vicegrips (tightly). Spin them. Once you get the grips on, the rest is super easy. May take an extra hand to hold the wire till you get to that point tho. Anyone who has wrestled a 5 foot piece of wire while trying not to kink the crap out it knows my pain. Good luck!

2 Likes

Here’s a little trick I’ve learned to keep those pesky wire trimmings from flying all over hell’s half acre and lying in wait for unsuspecting tender flesh:

1. Place wires in mounting holes of atomizer and tighten screws
  2. Place one finger on the end of the wire to be clipped. Press down onto wire with enough force so that it DIMPLES but does not PIERCE the skin! (VERY important. Dull wire piercing skin F’ing HURTS, mang!)
  3. Cut wire as close to post as possible.
  4. Pull finger away from atomizer. If you used enough force, you now have a wire end that is sticking TO your finger and not IN your finger!
  5. Use other fingers, wire cutters or tweezers to grab wire end from finger and dispose of properly.

Or, just leave the tails of your coils long enough so that you don’t have to do the above described. Wire’s cheap, yo. But if you do try this, it works great. I’ve told people this before and they call me a crazed masochist. Then they actually try it and, lo, suddenly I’m a frickin’ genius. No genius here, just don’t like wire ends going all nimbly-pimbly around my garage!

4 Likes

Thats alot better then my way @paingawd, I just run around barefoot till I find 'em. I think I’ll try your way next time.

3 Likes

If I where to do that I would get a pair of these, much easer!

2 Likes

Well @Cutlass92, those do look safer. I still think my rusty pair of vicegrips flinging and spinning around kitchen just adds a bit of excitement into the mix. MIGHT even make the resulting coils better…somehow…sure seems more fun. Lol

2 Likes

Hey man you do you! I’m just lazy so I look for the easy way! And I get to practice my grip and stroke with those!

2 Likes

Different strokes for different folks! Just gonna leave that one right there.

2 Likes