D cup tomatoes

I have a few potted plants that I check daily and water my Japanese maple then I’m inside till the next morning. I haven’t even grilled anything since the heatwave and normally 75 to 80% of our dinners in the summer are grilled something.

1 Like

Oh that’s a nice tomato. Add some cucumber slices and mmm, mmm, MMM!

I can grow zucchini the size of a cow’s front quarter but cucumbers just don’t do well here???

That’s too bad, although some breaded and fried zucchini or some zucchini pesto sounds really really good!

Some breaded and fried green tomatoes and okra sound even better. and I got tons of both.

1 Like

Do you add anything special to your soil for the tomato plants? I can get mine to grow into big plants but the fruit is small and the whole thing dies after a few months. I do well with herbs but fruits and vegetables elude me.

I add about a bag and a half of composted manure and another bag of composte each year for every two plants. When planting tomatoes how deep do you plant them?

I have a brick wall and about two feet out from that I have a retaining wall that’s about 4 feet high. I plant them in the space between. I used two 20lb bags of enriched soil (the cheap version of miracle grow) and planted the seedlings in that when they were about 9 inches high. I usually plant them in the fall around October. The fall/winter temps don’t usually get below 50F so they should be OK. I’ve never used fertilizer on them. Probably should though.

I avoid buying the six packs of plants. I like the 3 inch peat pots that I cut down the sides of. Then I plant the plant laying down in a furrow curling about 3 to 4 inches at the top out of the ground and I use Miracle Grow for Tomatoes regularly. What variety tomato are you growing that always has a lot to do with the size The variety I grew this year out of necessity was BeefMaster. I prefer one called “Parks Whopper” the fruit isn’t as big but year before last I got over 400 lbs of fruit off of 3 plants including the green ones at the end of the season that I fried happily if memory serves that was about 30 lbs.

Where do you live? plant in the winter. They are annuals and will eventually run out of growth. If you are winter planting for summer fruit I think your plants are geriatric by the time they get enough sun and heat to produce

1 Like

I’m near Palm Springs. Nothing grows here in the summer except my temper. That’s why I try for the fall. By late spring it’s already hot. Thanks for the tips. I’ll try and find a variety that may do somewhat better locally. What I was doing was growing them from the seeds of the tomatoes I purchased from the store. I did try a couple of plants from the local home depot but they didn’t last either.

1 Like

Take baby diapers remove the filling from them to mix with the soil and water the heck out of it the stuff from the diapers soaks up and holds a ton of water and will help keep you hydrangea bushes hydrated.

2 Likes

Not too far from me. I’d go for January and shoot for April May tomatoes.

link for heat tolerant varieties. With the last week of 110 weather here mine are suffering some.

1 Like

I have a drip system that I can keep on a constant drip it’s not that it’s the heat

1 Like

hybrid tomatoes don’t grow well from green picked tomatoes most store bought tomatoes are picked green and ripen en route to the cold storage/retail.

1 Like

Finding out your location gives me insight to the location of your "marbles"
Could they be in Lost Wages. lmao :joy:

2 Likes

Nope. Never lost more than 30 bucks there. Must have been some other destination…

1 Like

You can just buy these to achieve the same thing. With the price of diapers I don’t know which is more expensive

lol I just happen to have diapers. they are expensive as hell though so water storing crystals is probably the way to go.

1 Like

Well we are getting older but we aren’t there yet. lmao

1 Like