Distilled Water

Thank you I was looking for the thread to try and do that as well. Ok I’m going to book mark this.

Going back to sleep. Night shifter :smirk: I work next 2 days. So maybe I can start on the project on Friday.

1 Like

I tried DW @2% in a 30ml max VG mix and got an insane amount of snap, crackle and pop in tanks and drippers; so much so, I just had to trash the mix 'cause I couldn’t stand the noise!

Can’t say I’ll be using DW in a mix again anytime soon.

2 Likes

Sorry to hear that! I will say that I never tried using DW in a MaxVG blend. I was trying to replace PG, not VG so this could be the difference. I found what worked best was a 70/5/25 blend (VG/DW/PG). Mixed as such there was no problems with excess popping. Are you sure you didn’t get some of that Rice Crispys Flavor…lol

1 Like

No three little elves with big ears flavor for me!

Now, what type of atomizer were you using with your mix?

2 Likes

At the time I was not doing subohm (Kanger Evod Mega). A buddy was using a Kanger Subtank and had no complaints with popping…

By the way, never trust elves to do your flavoring, probably your problem…lol

2 Likes

@Amy2 is going to do some more experimenting since she is having trouble with the PG. You guys should talk if you want to see how she does…

2 Likes

What I’ve been doing is just adding it to the mix instead of below where you’d take it away from the flavor %. So 48mg 100% VG Nic with 5% Sterile water ( essentially is water that is filtered then boiled ) I boiled it less than 5 minutes didn’t want all the oxygen taken out of the water cooled and then my VG to make my base. Then I add my flavors most have been VG based flavors I pull off of the large base that has the sterile water already in it ( made like a 60 mls batch ) broke it down to small little 7 mls batches with my flavors so really I don’t have a true calculation on how much diluent is in each 7 ml batch that came from a larger 60 ml batch that had a diluent of 5%. Sounds like a math lovers question ( Bc I dislike math I want a computer to do it for me )

Oh and have been vaping fine on a mini protank 3 w/ 1.8 ohm coil. Tons of flavor! I replaced my old kanger coil w/ organic cotton and they did just fine so no hiss popping and creepy noises from these batches at all. I have had that in the past but not one yet on this newer VG version I’ve been working on like a made scientist woman ! :slight_smile:

http://e-liquid-recipes.com/r/1FHZ

Here’s just a recipe I’m working on.

This one here Da Dragon does just fine on this ratio mix as well I go thru it like well water lol
http://e-liquid-recipes.com/r/1zXW
Perfect dripping sauce !

Isn’t this the cutest lil Erlynmeyer flask ever ! I just got 4 10 ml ones for my small batches !

4 Likes

So, comparing the same recipe with only VG/PG and the same recipe replacing 5% of the PG with DW, do you notice flavour improvement?

1 Like

I did notice that it’s smoother but it also mutes and dilutes the batch where Pg is going to retain the flavor d/t it being a better flavor carrier than water. So as far as my experiments went I found that around 1-2% DW was as far as I could push it before 1 or 2 things started to happen.

1 if there’s too much DW your atomizer will not fire correctly and it will sizzle and pop that right back up the chimney ( ouch ) 2 the DW will continue to dilute your flavorings but when you use just a touch of it, it can help harshness and it does help with smoothnes again is it worth it, Idk it’s ok for me in certain mixes I continue to use it at times at 1% in a vg max mix but not every time.

1 Like

I’m going to bump this as I found it fascinating and we have a new crop of curious minds

4 Likes

I say yes if you got it right out of the clouds but depending on the amount of pollution/dust etc where you live it will pick up some contaminants in the air as it falls.

All our house water is collected off the roof and into tanks (only water we have) it runs though 2 filters before getting to the tap and it is neutral ph with no chemicals or contaminants as tested right out of the tank but I live way out of town well off any roads…

Heh, I just buy a gallon at the store for 89 cents. On a more serious note distilled water from the store is not for drinking! It contains no chlorine normally added to drinking water to kill all the usual suspects. If you plan on using Distilled Water for vaping, boil it for 5 minutes (and cool) and then bottle it per your setup (30ml glass? 120ml squirty?) …don’t forget the label!

For my first plan to use DW (last year) I poured it directly from the gal jug into a (somewhat?) cleaned 30ml HDPE (recycle). This got lost in the chaos for two months and when next examined had a rather large gelatinous glob of biological entity …the horror. There’s a picture I posted on here somewhere.

Whatever bacteria/mold living in the otherwise pure water fed on whatever had remained in the plastic (even after cleaning) and in a couple months had grown to a respectable size. I tossed it (unopened) into the trash because …I didn’t have a 55 gal drum of fire handy.

4 Likes

I remember that picture and dug it out for others to see too - I always have this photo in mind when I clean my bottles:

2 Likes

four pawns used DW in their juice… i dont care for any of their flavors… i guess im just not the premium type!! lol

1 Like

Don’t blame the DW for their juice mate…lol

2 Likes

Do you find that DW helps any with recipes? It is all about flavor, but is there anything it adds for you?

The only reasons I see to use DW is 1st as a PG replacement and second a thinner. When @Amy2 and myself were experimenting with DW we found a bit of flavor loss (longer steep may have fixed that). Second we found limits of 2-5% use due to popping hot water in your mouth. Supposedly VG will absorb water but it appears to have limits. Either that or the other ingredients (PG) prevent a complete absorption, don’t know. I personally see nothing wrong with using DW but you probably will not see any huge advantages doing so. Maybe just some slight smoothness if your % is not too high and popping in your mouth…

3 Likes

I thought that I might be suffering a PG sensitivity for a while and started mixing w/o PG. Over the course of several months I mixed with a minimum of PG only in flavorings and at that was vaping pretty much only standalone mixes (i.e FA Fuji 5%). I found that my ideal distilled water ratio to be <4%; that produced a sufficient viscosity to wick in my RTA’s. If you are not PG sensitive (which I now believe I am not) I see little advantage to utilizing it as it definitely does not carry flavors as well, but if you are, it is useful.

3 Likes

I wasn’t , I think their juice tastes like shit regardless ! LOL

1 Like

I would think not because of all the impurities it collects as it falls back to the ground.

2 Likes