Does anyone use an eletronic mixer? what kind?

Since most of you ^^^^ are using these have any of you ever had an issue with muted flavors after mixing, possibly over-aerating ?? I thought I’d read something about that, can’t remember if it was a mixer, or ultrasonic.

Never and i sometimes leave it over night , i do however cover my flask/beakers with parafilm

3 Likes

Ok this may sound a bit strange - I used to use gladwrap (i assume same as parafilm) but my mrs was always complaining that the roll was in my office - me being the lazy ass that I am hated walking up the stairs and getting it so I came up with a somewhat weird solution (as I am prone to do)

I wanted a mix to breath so I went looking fo a cover for my beakers that was breathable the solution was

Disposable Ear Muff and Headphone Covers. I know it is out there but I find they work perfectly I have 3 pairs so 6 in total that cost me I think $2.50 au and I reuse them over and over. Just another crazy ass solution.

7 Likes

Great idea. Those are new/never used ear muffs I presume. Nothing worse than nasty old dried up ear wax chunks falling into your mix :laughing:

3 Likes

Lmao yes they are new - manky earwax juice yum - lets see if someone can clone that secret ingredient.

2 Likes

Does covering the beaker with Saran Wrap or parafilm (?) prevent it from over-aerating? Or as in my case prevent erroneous bubbles from entering the mix?

Personally I find there is no difference in a juice that has been airrated and one that doesnt.

I have 2 mixers one is hot plate that I never see any bubbles after mixing the other is not hot plate and spins a bit faster and it does get bubbles forming after mixing identical juice off either of them tastes the same to me. I have seen comments on the forums don’t aerate the mix, don’t heat, don’t xyz, I think it comes down to personal prefrence. I cannot taste the difference.

Heat however can be a killer if it is too hot (imho) - it will (and I have titrated 2 samples to test) drop the nic content if too much heat is applied.

In my tests I made identical mixes heated one to 80c and kept it there for 20 mins the other was cold mixed. I let the heated one cool and then titrated both. The nic content of the heated one was almost .5 mg different. the taste between the 2 was a little different as was the color (heated was a little muted but that may have been just my perception as it wasnt a blind test).

What it comes down to is what you prefer to do what equipment you have to use and most of all what works for you.

I know there are many that have a different opinion on heat, bubbles etc but this is my experience theirs may well be the complete opposite

7 Likes

Thanks woftam I appreciate shared knowledge

3 Likes

imo it prevents it from breathing too much , bc iften ill move onto something and leave it on the mixer for an extended period of time also ive had a bee and a fly in the summer time get into my liquid and had to toss it the bee didnt bother as much as the fly i think flies are soooo nasty

4 Likes

Haha had to laugh at this was the exact reason i got these covers - a massive dunny budgie dropped in a mix and was doing laps having a fine old time.

3 Likes

i was pissed lmao it was my first big batch btw here is parafilm my friend bought a bunch of it and continues to so i mooch off of him lol its super spendy

2 Likes

US $6.64 FREE SHIPPING

2 Likes

What is it exactly? Like a peel and stick Saran Wrap? A paper film?

2 Likes

Damn that is exy - $90 bills for 30 mt - i guess it would last awhile.

1 Like

WOOF! That IS a little pricey! I’ll stick with woftam’s earmuffs. Preferably clean, but …

3 Likes

In a pinch you can use the plastic covers of the scales - mine suffered from golden pineapple. Which is why i would never use a plastic tank

2 Likes

very thick film its great especially since i dont pay for it lol

3 Likes

yes its nice and its even better since i dont pay l

3 Likes

Way better than using the handkerchief that’s been in my back pocket all day…

2 Likes

I use the same one. Does a fantastic job and a great price.

2 Likes