Don't make me join another forum! Dog gone it!

Don’t feel bad about trying to help me! I appreciate the effort - you can bank on that. And I do understand what you’re saying. I have raised several very well trained dogs but as I said, each I raised from a puppy. The last one was with me in my Kenworth for his first 6 years or so. But the thing is I had a clean slate with the pups. I trained desired behaviors and never really had to train bad ones out of them. That’s what has me ill equipped to know what to do.

Believe me I’ve tried to find connections. I’m at a loss. There is no obvious rhyme or reason. And possibly you are right because he’s young and has senses far beyond anything I have. But I will say that, unlike other dogs I’ve had, when he insists on going outside (as if there’s something he wants to get at) he rarely goes towards anything in particular. Yeah, he’ll run to the back of the yard where the squirrels frequently are on the ground scavenging for nuts and stuff, or over to the fence bordering our neighbor’s house where they have a little lap dog that occasionally is outside in their yard. But mostly he just rushes out, takes a visual survey of the yard, and starts barking at the air. Maybe he’s just mental! :slight_smile:

Mentally Territorial perhaps? lol. Good luck and thanks for the reply.

That is a possibility.

I maybe he has a soft spot for the dog next door (she? maybe in heat). Male dogs do go nuts when they smell a potential baby momma.

I live on a fair size acreage and I get male dogs fixed (I know it is hard to imagine the loss) but any roaming dog here will get shot (simple farm economics dogs that roam can take sheep) so rather than have my best mate shot I choose to stop them roaming.

You would be surprised at the behavioural change in a dog with no bits (possibly fear of what will be cut off next) - I know it is not the nicest solution and it may not be right for your dog at all but I would talk to a vet and ask him for advice he may well be able to shed some light.

No expert here.

Oops that wasnt meant to be a reply to lostmarbles

Mentally sane, and something he hears that reminds him of his previous environment.
Walk him, and you will both prosper.
Remember, he can hear things outside, being inside, that you can’t hear inside or outside.

I figured it wasn’t meant for me LOL

1 Like

I grew up with alot of hunting dogs and he wants to go out but not in the yard like go out if you ride a bike thats the best thing take him for a long ride.