Duplicate checker, how long does it take?

Sounds like a good start for sure! I see there is a flavor called “NULL” with 4 recipes, is this the one your talking about? Or do you mean null as in literally no value? If you mean this “NULL” then I could help and just dupe check every non used flavor. Shouldn’t be to problematic.

4 Likes

Ughh its a mess

2 Likes

I just tried some stuff from my side, don’t know if I’m helping you or just making a bigger mess.

I cant find the “NULL” flavor while having other flavor houses filtered, so I made 5 new “NULL” flavors:
NULL (CAP)
NULL (TPA)
NULL (Inawera)
NULL (FW)
NULL (WF)

Then I reported alla flavors with 0 recipes in each individual flavor house
CAP, 372
TPA, 300(There were more but the site couldn’t handle a bigger request)
Inawera, 252
FW, 319
WF, 168

Finally I reported these 5 null-flavors as dupes of the old “NULL” flavor.

Is that something you can work with? Then you don’t have to do all the work, you can just double check those I report and we split the workload a bit.

There is however one issue I found, when reporting these flavors, the site tells me like “372 duplicates were reported” but when I check my report it maxes out at 36. I don’t know if that means the max report limit is 36 or the max display limit is 36.

Either way if this works for you I can keep reporting all the non-recipe-flavors, I might need to modify my script to report them in batches of 36 instead of 300 depending on if its a display limit or a reporting limit.

3 Likes

I reckon we will see. After all the changes i made this weekend im going to stop for now to see if anyone reports any screw ups. Think im done for a few days, spending 8 hours on all that burned me out a bit, now its time to mix.

2 Likes

Yea I get what you mean, pseudo automatic way is probably the best way to go. Still have to be manually double checked by you mods though I guess.

I used this little snippet to check all boxes for flavors in the list with 0 recipes:

var table = document.getElementById(“dupeTable”);
for (let i = 1; i <= 300; i++) {
if (table.rows[i].cells[3].innerHTML.replace(/^\s+|\s+$/g, ‘’) < 1) {
table.rows[i].cells[1].children[0].checked = true;
}
}

Don’t know how applicable it is on your side though. But maybe some other guys here wanna clean up their flavor houses, but for those guys I don’t know what happens when you report more than 36 dupes, if the rest is just discarded or if there are too many to be displayed in your list.

For more future plans, have you had any thoughts about a democratic way of handling it? Instead of you mods doing all the final works, base the final judgement un amount of people reporting etc? I guess i 20 people reports the same duplicates it most likely is a duplicate and you guys don’t have to cross reference the whole ordeal? Or maybe vote on reports etc? Seems like being a single mod for thousands of people reporting you get a lot of work on your table which probably burns you out a lot and become a bit of a bottle neck?

3 Likes

I like to say this real quick as other folks need some recognition. This has been attempted before but several of us, @JoJo @Sprkslfly, me and i dont know who else. And although @TorturedZen cant change anything over there he is the reason why it isnt much much worse.

Here is what is going to happen, it happens every time. Ill keep going until the burnout and the burnout isnt just about staring at the screen all day. The burnout happens when all you have done is screwed up again, and it will be. Friday i fixed a bunch of CAP flavors, already today half of them have dupes.

Lars wanted a site that was easy to use for anyone. That comes with some obvious downsides. And i agree with his thoughts on it, while locking the flavor list might seems like a great idea there just arent enough people left to have an approval system.

So ill plug along until it hits me that everything is jacked again.

3 Likes

Very agreed @Ken_O_Where.

2 Likes

you guys better shadow ban this dude, he’s trying to steal your job.

5 Likes

Yea I don’t doubt, but imagine the state if those people did nothing? There are 190k flavors, it will take a lot of effort to clean it all up, but just a single dupe removed is better than none right? Also all these flavor houses got their own sites with lists of the correct name, correct versions etc, its hard to screw up using that as reference.

4 Likes

As I briefly mentioned in my reply above, I have duplicate names sitting in the queue since June 5, 2019. The number of entries submitted is 2,377. I have no idea how many entries have been submitted by other users, or how long they have been just sitting there in the queue. That should be taken into account as well.

But I think the focus needs be on taking care of everything that’s back-logged first… do the DB merge (as painstaking as it is) and when all is complete go from there. Flavor names with 0 recipes attached is still a problem, but not so much when compared to all the names in active use.

5 Likes

That’s because when a user does a flavor name search the results do not return in a sorted (high/low recipes) format. They select whatever comes up first usually, instead of selecting based on number of recipes that name is attached to. It’s rare that a name with 0 recipes is ever selected so they go with the next best one.

If anything, the default search results should be hard coded to return the most recipes for that name every time! And most users are unaware that a manual sort has to be performed or how to do it.

4 Likes

Absolutely, there is probably as many duplicated reports as duplicated flavors, giving a lot of people a lot of extra work which would indeed burn them out.

Think mods should focus on going through those indeed, we plebs can focus on reporting the duplicates. Spread the workload a bit.

4 Likes

Plebes? Why I oughta… :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

5 Likes

@Greger I saw that you went through and dupes a bunch for the null list but unfortunately the majority will have to be merged so i removed them. I started going through the dupe queue instead.

2 Likes

Ok, no problem. Got any details on why they wasn’t possible to remove? Are they connected to private recipes I cant see and not actually 0 recipes? Would it be easier if I reported all 0 recipe flavors individually instead of in a bunch?

But yea please go through the dupe queue don’t let me keep you occupied with other stuff, as soon as mine is cleaned out ill get back to you with a bunch more, hard to do it right now since I got as big of a queue I’m kind of reporting the same flavors I already reported once :slight_smile:

3 Likes