Effect of Sub-Ohm Coils on Popular Flavor's in DYI

Extremely good advice! Don’t work too hard and thank you!

Yep, thought so. Rule of thumb, if you want vapor, buy a Atlantis. If you want flavor, buy a Subtank Mini. I suggest you save up your money and buy a Kanger Subox Mini kit and a couple of 18650 batteries. Using this tank will solve much of your heat and flavor problems… See, pretty, pretty !!!

http://www.takeair.co.il/files/catalog/org/1433160227d27Pn.jpg

With a smoother & cooler tank you may be able to tolerate your fruit better. I feel your first place to start is getting away from the Atlantis…

1 Like

I appreciate you guys giving me advice more than you will ever know!

Please forgive the diatribe/manifesto below but I think it is worth reading. Try not to be too hard on me when you respond, at the end of the day I believe in vaping because anything keeping us from smoking is the real game.

My friend is doing quite well with that very kit! She’s vaping an Apple Pie type of thing and has no desire to change flavor. @ringling …I would say you are 100% right about that. But I want to tell you I actually did a great deal of research before I settled on the Atlantis 2 Tanks (and I almost bought two of those kits instead of buying 2 Atlantis and one Melo Tank) … but then I thought about Kanger - I mean I really thought about Kanger. I am looking across the room at a pile of 4 Pro-Tanks and a 16 ounce glass full of coil parts and remembering what I spent on those.

They make a good tank, but I don’t trust them to build a consistent stock coil I can rely on that wont break my wallet. When I started vaping I started with the Pro-Tanks. The coils were burning me out of house and home so I learned to rebuild them. The rebuild on my coils every week was costing me 3 hours of time a week and it was very frustrating. I got in the car and went to the gas station for cigarettes lol.

Now I know most people will tell me " The technology has changed and gotten better and this is part of the game" but to me… if you are going to market something like this and make claims it works a certain way, you should back that up with it working right, right?

In short, Kanger burned me once. The Aspire Nautilus coil lasted so long and worked so well in comparison I just couldn’t take the risk of trusting Kanger again. The hassle in vaping for me personally IS the coil. Every problem, enjoyment, investment of time and money with a tank is the quality and longevity of the coil.

Please forgive my wordiness here as well… In my perfect world if these companies are going to sell this stuff, they need to do their testing on these wicking materials and metals before they throw it out on our walls to see what sticks. They need to stop using “us” and our lungs for Guinea Pig test marketing. This stuff is expensive and I’m finding a lot of those guys like Indoor Smokers and a few others are saying what the vendors want to hear in the youtube videos so they stay high on views and making money …and to get us to keep paying for stuff that we have to keep “adjusting” and spending more money to get it to work to a level of satisfaction we need.

Maybe the answer is exactly what you just said. Maybe the folks rating them professionally should do that very thing you just did.

Maybe once they make it, they should say “Great Flavor, 2 week Coil” or “Tons of Vapor, 3 day coil”.

I don’t know… what I do know is I just had to return a defective TC/Wattage mod again so I can have another week of waiting for stuff to work right.

I know I just wasted 30.00 on two packs of 1.0 coils the vendor told me I would love when I cant stand how they vape. I’ve given this vendor over $500.00 of my money. I should have gotten better advice from him or even an offer to take the 1.0 coils back. He wont take the unused ones back.

Forgive the whining but I honestly don’t know who to trust anymore lol… yes I am whining. Sorry.

I can not argue with you, the protanks sucked. It was my second vape and I forced myself to continue to use it so I could get off the cigarettes. Burnt hits constantly, coils wouldn’t even last a week. No doubt a piece of sh@t. But your friends are correct, technology changes and improves. Believe me, when aspire released the BDC coil I was on the Aspire bandwagon until they released the Atlantis. The Atlantis is one of the hottest running and flavorless tanks on the market and it will sadden me to see you stay with it while blaming your juices and struggling to make it work. Seems to me it’s not a lot different from you struggling with the protanks. Well if I can’t talk you into the Subtank Mini than at least do yourself one favor and get a Triton. That is at least a little better than the Atlantis…

PS my subtank still has the original coil well after a month of use.

Lol…I just sold the Triton I had to a broke kid hanging around the vape shop down the street for $10.00. I’m a 5’ 4" petite woman. The Triton looked like something my 6’ 7" son in law should be vaping, I was certain I would lose 5 pounds carrying it around and it sounded like a commercial vacuum tube when I hit on it.

Ba ha ha… OMG I did it again. The upside of this thread is I’m learning and I really don’t hate myself anymore. All I can do is laugh, sell stuff on ebay and for some reason I never forget the directions to the gas station. Yep, yep yep. (Bang head on wall) Deep Breath… laugh and cough… you know what I really want… I want both vapor and flavor. I must be a baby! Wahhh

1 Like

I’m keeping these Atlantis Tanks actually. I have confidence I can adjust this liquid. I’ve gotten pretty good at saving juice from my first 3 months of experimenting with DYI. I also have a kid that can fix or vape anything at 70/30 6mg. I guess what I really would like to know is what flavors are holding up the most delicious at high heat in the experience of you folks. You folks in here are the “using experts” of the globe. The best of the best vapers are on this site.

There has to be some basic rules for certain kinds of flavoring - somewhere - the chemists that make this stuff have a little problem called liability. Someone like a chemist at Flavor Art knows exactly what gasses and toxins are being thrown off by a given temperature and exposing that chemical to those temperatures with given metallurgical considerations. Why? Because they could kill people. I asked my Vendor for some suggestions and put it on their discussion boards. I will definitely tell you guys what they tell me and …I’m doing more research. I want my flavor back!

I’m pretty sure most of us has been in your shoes. There will come a time when you’re a veteran at Sub-Ohm vaping. You will look back at all money you wasted on all those stock coils. The only real way to get your preferred vape consistently is to build your own. You can build the coils you want for pennies. Until then you’re at the mercy of what in the package.

3 Likes

Amen !!!

1 Like

You are both right. So… I gotta think about that building thing again. Hmmm…Don’t worry, I wont start asking those questions on this thread titanium, nickel, kanthal Oh Dear …lol… This is kind of fun though, I got a response from my vendor! Here is is:

Good Morning Maureen,

Thank you for reaching out to us regarding your vaping experience. We certainly would like to help in any way that we can. I have reviewed your situation and based on changing to new equipment such as a sub ohm tank and coils you would certainly experience it a bit differently. We would want to ensure that you are using a nicotine level of 6mg or less to start. After that a hint of using a higher ohm level of coils ( the higher the number the cooler it burns). In addition to this if the ‘hits’ still seem to be too harsh or burning in the coils we might recommend using a more VG concentrated base as this tends to add more smoothness to the burning as well. I hope this helps Maureen. Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns.

Sincerely,
Patti ECX CS Supervisor

Note: She did not mention flavors that burn hot or better lol

Here was my email to her:

Good Morning My Friend!

I have already begun the process by shopping for VG only to cut down to 3mg of nicotine and high VG the liquid. So now the question becomes which “flavors” perform better at higher heat, right?

I realize you folks have to be somewhat careful in recommending say … Capella, Flavor Art, Flavor West for obvious reasons but I see no harm for you in recommending flavor “taste” families like “Bakery” “Fruity” “Menthol” or others for better performance at high heat.

I would think Capella, Flavor Art and Flavor West would be more than happy to reveal their findings in this regard and in fact, I bet they know already what happens to those flavors at different temperatures?

It could be very much to your benefit to know this and be able to tell your mix people like me. Maybe you could charge a little more for high heat flavors? I don’t know but this is really what I need to know so I can save my investment in my purchases of flavoring. I just dont want to start all over again ruining unflavored liquid.

I hope you understand and await your response with bells on!

Most Sincerely,

A big fan of ECX
Maureen

Learning DIY is a process. Your in the best place to get the best answers that I have found anywhere. Vendors will tell you whatever you want to hear to improve their bottom line. I’m not saying they all are crooked… but some are. The members at ELR will give the facts from their own experiences. If you have a question, most here are more than willing to help you out. I’ll take the word of my family here before any vendor. Some things about flavors require researching yourself. There are several resources at ELR that can get you on the right path to becoming knowledgeable on all things vape related.

Flavors do perform differently at various temps. You should have the right equipment to handle these variations. Most issues are with the equipment rather than the flavors. You have to learn the how flavors react at different temps than to try and buy only high heat flavors.

1 Like

I agree with you 100%, it’s why I am here! … but I cant see how it hurts to ask them questions directly. They may have some pdf in their libraries of information from FA, Cap or FW they may be willing to share. If they don’t give it to me or they don’t have it - I think you can guess where I am going next.

They have a certain liability as well regardless of their disclaimers. These ECX guys have been pretty upfront with me. My goal here is to get as much information as I can because that information will keep me from making more $30.00 to $100.00 mistakes again.

You are right, this is a process of discovery. It’s part of what makes it fun but respectfully, I’ve already made a lot of those mistakes and I don’t want to make them again. I have drawers full of flavoring, much of it I will never use and it adds up. We are talking hundreds of dollars here for a personal habit. I don’t want to sell juice - I just want it for my own use.

I’m thinking it’s not very smart to keep sacrificing unflavored liquid again mixing until I can at least get pointed in the right direction from the people who manufacture or sell it. I have too much money tied up in this stuff as it is and I have to be careful going forward with what I spend. For me it’s a daily war not getting into a car and buying cigarettes. I hope you can respect my passion :slight_smile:

1 Like

First let’s explore this by @Pro_Vapes

Let’s add something else to this statement. We can all agree that equipment, wattage, temperature, high heat, etc effects flavor. The problem is each person is gonna have their own opinion as to what effects they produce. We have a saying around here at ELR that most of us have had drilled into our heads and that saying is, “Taste is Subjective”. This basically means that even if Patti from ECX feels she can actually answer this question you could be very likely to disagree with her findings when you actually sit down and test her theories. Why, because Taste is Subjective. Truthfully even the people here on ELR can not actually answer this question because in the end it will be you who will form your own opinion as to what works, and what does not work. The best we can do for you is to tell you our experiences and and maybe steer you towards the better TASTING flavors and better equipment (In Our Opinion). Sooo, don’t be too hard on Patti if she can not answer your question. She will either answer you with her opinion or tell you just what I am telling you now. She should answer with the later, we shall see…

No worries! I will be very sweet to Patty. And I cant argue, taste is totally subjective… but burned is burned and not too many people like burned, right? That’s kind of where i’m going with this :slight_smile:

1 Like

Here’s another thing. I found out my menthol stuff fries. It was horrible at high heat. Now, I made that juice but what if I had bought a commercial 22.00 bottle of it? I would be out $22.00. This is what I’m trying to avoid.

Here we go:

Hi Maureen,

Thank you for your reply. If you are using a high VG ratio already, I might recommend perhaps mixing with VG based flavors such as the Northwest VG Flavors brand on our website as the concentrated flavors in that line do not contain PG. I hope this helps.

Sincerely,
Patti ECX CS Supervisor

Maybe I am nut for this but I just gotta do it. I still say the Atlantis is your biggest problem. If you are literally burning juice you are running entirely too hot. I’ll make a deal with you. Find a Kanger Subtank Mini (No Clones) for around $25ish and buy it. If you are not happier with it compared to the Atlantis after 60 days, I will buy it from you for $25.00 if you will ship it to me. Is that a deal or what. You’re in the US I hope. Believe me, I’m not doing this for me, I have many of these tanks in my shop. I’m really trying to help you…

2 Likes

You are not a nut at all! What a great guy to offer to do that! Awww… Let me think about that. I may even be able to borrow one from one of my friends, or swap with my kid. My kid has that set up. You’re awesome.

1 Like

I just realized the Melo coil is doing the same thing kind of burning liquid. I picked those two tanks because the coils are interchangeable. Both running a .5 Coil. One Coil is a .5 Eleaf Melo Coil and the other ones are .5 Atlantis V2 Coils. The Atlantis coil is a little better - but not much.

Running both at 28.5 Watts.

Whoops… Got 3 Mods going too:

Sigelei 30 Watt Mini - Eleaf IStick 30 - IPV 40 Watt Cool Fire 4

So much good information in this thread. @Maureeenie, I fear if you make a liquid that will have actual flavor in the Atlantis you’ll be at 40% flavoring. Solid waste of money. I have the Atlantis and Atlantis 2. They just sit there, mocking me for spending my money on them. But hey, part of the journey I say.

So, when you have a little extra cash handy, let me suggest the Joyetech eVic VT 60w mod with Ego One Mega tank. I want to suggest getting that and a couple of Joyetech’s CLR RBA heads and building them with 28ga Titanium wire. I created a tutorial for rebuilding them - here it is - and while many people will knock the Ego One Mega, the fact is it does a decent job and just reading your posts I think you could get a very good vape from it. Flavor from this tank is not an issue. In temperature control you get to basically ignore watts and focus on temperature. As I type this I’m hitting mine with a nice fruit/cream liquid, temp set to 440F. It’s a warm vape, certainly not hot. Vapor production is decent but flavor is excellent. And it looks just awesome too. Long battery life. Vapenw has them on sale (the kit) for $55 which ain’t bad.

1 Like