Essential Flavorah Tobacco’s?

Thanks so much for your advice. Do you utilise Red Burley much? It seems like at one point it was the real go-to flavour tying so many flv tobacco recipes together?

Tell me about it! The main thing I’m learning is that I suck at organising my note keeping. I’m a pen and paper person and this is getting out of hand! Lmao

1 Like

“red burley” is really good, it’s a strong and full flavoured. Pipe/cigar type tobacco I tend to use It as an accent at maybe 0.5% - 0.75% with a more bright leafy tobacco like “Virginia” Turkish" or “oriental”. But you can use It higher.

1 Like

@RandomlyAssigned for a good example of Red Burley and Kentucky look no further than Fears Cardinal.

Kentucky Blend (Flavorah) 0.25

Red Burley (Flavorah) 0.75

Holy Grail (DIYFS) 8.00

It uses both Burley @.75 and Kentucky @.25 with an RY4 as the base of the recipe. I’d suggest grabbing Holy RY4 from Flavor Jungle as it is as close to Holy Grail As you’ll find. I’m not big on RY4s as I don’t care for the caramel notes in tobacco. I prefer pipe and cigar tobaccos. My favorite FlV tobaccos are Cavendish, Burley, Ligero, Connecticut Shade, and their Virginia.

Ligero is very good, though to me it’s more of a cigar tobacco, it does pair very nicely with Connecticut Shade as the cigar wrapper.

4 Likes

Yes, I’ve mixed this also and I think it’s a good recipe if you’re just getting into tobacco’s. It’s got just enough tobacco from the 2 (flavorah) flavours. It’s a a good example of using those 2 tobacco’s low.

2 Likes

I’ve never mixed the OG with Holy Grail as it was discontinued before I could try it. I’ve been told that Holy RY4 is very close to the OG Holy Grail.

2 Likes

Yes, I used “holy holy grail ry4” which I think is the second one. Just had a look it says “holy holy grail ry4 V2” on bottle.

2 Likes

Hi RA - I tend to like tobacco infused desserts so my needs are simple. I have a couple (TPA RY4 Double (of course), FA Soho, FLV Mild Tobacco, and TPA Cigarillo (which I bought for one specific recipe)).
When I was searching for a tobacco to buy, I did this:

FLV Tobaccos # of Recipes
Red Burley 532
Cured Tobacco 328
Kentucky Blend 309
Sweet and Smokey Tobacco 209
Native Tobacco 195
Virginia Tobacco 158
Tatanka Tobacco 140
Turkish 142
Connecticut Shade 92
Mild Tobacco 70
Oriental Tobacco 66
Classic Cigarette 63
Vanilla Tobacco 62
RY4 61
Cavendish 36
Arabian 33
Commercial Cigarette 22
Ligero Leaf 10
Some of these (Tatanka, Oriental, Arabian) I don’t think can be found anymore. @SessionDrummer did some write-ups on a few of these but all contain reviews here in the flavor index:
Flavorah Tasting Notes - #171 by SessionDrummer
When I see a FLV Tobacco in a recipe, I just usually substitute FLV Mild unless its a cigar flavor. I also use the Cosmic Truth Calculator to compute substitution ratios. and I use ELR Median values to do that:
EJuice Recipe Adjustment Calc - Google Spreadsheets
I hope this helps - good luck.
4 Likes

I like Virginia tobacco, unfortunately cured pairs with it very well (why’s it unavailable where you are?) I find Arabian tobacco very spiced, like a lot of Arabian things very heavy. Native tobacco is nice in small amounts to pair with lighter tobaccos like Virginia. Just gives it some character like cured does. Burley is a very strong tobacco as well, I like it paired at a small amount with a light tobacco. I’ve tried super concentrated Virginia tobacco and it’s just a very deep tobacco flavour of Virginia tobacco.
I’m not a huge fan of those deep deep flavours unfortunately i lean more into golden tobaccos or smooth tobaccos. Virginia by flavourah is perfect for that. The next ones I want to try are flue cured and commercial tobacco and see if they have any other light tobacco flavours.
I find a lot of the deep tobaccos lean into an almost cigar like flavour or an unfiltered cigarette.

3 Likes

I’m in Canada and was able to source Arabian tobacco but I assume if it’s unavailable it wasn’t popular and once it’s gone from that supplier it’s gone forever

3 Likes

What’s your thoughts on mild tobacco? How would you describe its flavour when it’s a stand alone. Or even by smell.

2 Likes

Hi HGB,

You’re probably way ahead of me, and it sounds like you’ve tested most of these…

Yeah - I just placed a small order that may help me stave off the loss of European/other non US suppliers.

OK, let me be clear: I’ve never single flavor tested a flavor when I’ve received it. I simply put them into use and compute conversion ratios for other similar flavors that I add to my notes. (For example, if Flavor A Vanilla Custard is used @ 2% median value and Flavor B Vanilla Custard is used @ 1%, the conversion ratio is 1:0.5.)
I like FLV Mild because it seems to just add a bit more tobacco flavor when I mix it with RY4 and others. That’s why I bought it - as a booster. When I smell it, I get some RY4 elements, as @SessionDrummer described - a lot of caramel.
I’m not sure if this perspective helps, but I hope it does - Good Luck All.

4 Likes

okay good to know! and ive basically blended the flavours together since I just got off of the bottles scent and got a feel for how they modify Virginia Tobacco mainly! I may have to play around with them more but I hope you can get cured tobacco since it does add a nice tobacco flavour at .5% of the total flavour. they are strong so you won’t need much luckily! not sure if you can order from Canada but I got it off of DIY-ejuice or flvrs website.

2 Likes

That’s interesting because it seemed to be the main body for recipes several years ago. So that’s why I was tossing up between it and Ligero.

Yeah this is more the kind of use of Red Burley I had seen in my research. I guess everyone’s answers are just reminding me it comes down to personal preference. Like everything. Everyone will like different aspects of the tobaccos.

I appreciate everyone’s input so far and welcome any other tobacco fans to add their 2c.

2 Likes

Definitely a pipe tobacco id say, stand alone it will be strong but adding it to a lighter tobacco to push it to a mild tobacco is amazing. I find the deeper pipe tobaccos good for added profile. Just like cigarettes they usually have a special blend of flavour.
I find the same with native tobacco and cured tobacco as well, stand alone it will be very deep but added at low percents it compliments

2 Likes

What would be the lighter tobacco flavour you would accent with these darker flavours? Virginia?

I was leaning towards native/Kentucky and burley/ligero for the two flavours I was going to choose but I feel like perhaps I need a Virginia and burley or ligero to contrast it. I’m going to end up with 2 deep, dark flavours otherwise and that might not be the tobacco profile I like…

1 Like

“Virginia” “oriental” “Turkish” I know you can’t get “Turkish” though. Although “Ligero” is considered a cigar tobacco it’s actually quite lite and can be used as a more lighter tobacco.

2 Likes

I feel like this flavour just came out too late in the DIY game so it’s not as hyped up. Everyone has really good things to say about it.

2 Likes

It’s the last tobacco flavour they released. Not been out that long I think about 12 months but it’s really good.

2 Likes

The only light one I have is Virginia but I would assume a golden tobacco would be good however I’ve only bought Virginia and a few other ones like native cured burley and arabian which are all darker.

2 Likes

I found Virginia adds a note that can be over powered easily if you use darker flavours, but it gives a background flavour of tobacco on it own, not enough to over power anything else that’s light but enough to know it’s a tobacco flavoured vape.
I’d assume if you’re adding a dark flavour then compliment it with a dark tobacco at something low, I found .5% to be my max on native and cured before it would start to over power some other flavours but I feel it would depend on the mix.
I like Virginia at 1-2% depending on how much you want it to poke through but 1.2 is my sweet spot I’d say I hover around but I love light flavour for tobacco.

I want to try flue cured as well since it should be similar to Virginia just a different method of curing. I feel like Kentucky might be a good one as well but I’d have to see its reviews first

2 Likes