FDA's August 2022 Deadline Moved Ahead

I could see commercial juice manufacturers falling under that statement, but not those that DIY their eliquid. It’s assumed that PG, VG, and flavorings have other uses, so ‘should’ not be affected.

Granted, this is the unpredictable FDA we’re talking about, but so far, those products should still be available.

One may need to source them from separate vendors, like batteries, wire, cotton / rayon, but it should be doable, if one DIYs their own 0 mg eliquid.

3 Likes

It could mean that companies such as Nic River, Nude Nic etc could have to have a pmta for their nic in order to sell it.

Edit: Oh sorry I thought you were referencing the nic part of it & i was thinking of commercial makers of 0 nic.

5 Likes

No apology or edit necessary…lol. But brings us back to exactly why I started this thread.

Stock up while the opportunity to stock up is still available. At least on nic, mods, & tanks.

4 Likes

Matt did a video on it i think it was yesterday where he gets into it a little more it is worth a watch but as with everything in regards to this at this point it time there is a fair bit of speculation.

7 Likes

So the article says:

the FDA’s acting commissioner, Ned Sharpless, said in an emailed statement. “The FDA stands ready to accelerate review of these products and will continue its vigorous enforcement and public education efforts to protect kids from e-cigarettes.”

Well then, doesn’t that mean that they themselves need to be educated?!

Because if they were, this would be a non issue!!

5 Likes

My understanding is that NR had already filed all the paperwork when this first hit the fan. I would think the other nic providers would have as well. Wire and cotton will be easy to come buy although you might have to switch from kanthal to SS or Ni chrome. There appears to be a grandfather date in there so anything prior to that date, hardware wise, would be exempt. (Not that I want to go back to a Kayfun V2.) I’d bet China would be more than happy to ship, compliant or not. That would seriously bog down customs wouldn’t it.

4 Likes

From Vaping 360 article

‘No vape company has ever submitted a PMTA, and the FDA Center for Tobacco Products has only approved one PMTA for an inhalable nicotine product during its 10 years in existence. That product, Philip Morris International’s heat-not-burn tobacco device IQOS, is not an e-liquid vaping device. The IQOS PMTA was approved this April, after a review process that lasted more than two years.’

A little further down the article…

IMPORTANT! #zeller declaration in the AAP case confirms that at present NO PMTAs for ends are filed or pending review before FDA and only 4 PMTAs for deemed products are being reviewed (presumably for cigars?) for a grand total of 16 PMTAs since the agency inception.

I suppose NR is the only one that can tell us if they have filed. Maybe they are preparing the application. NR is a big player in our little corner of the industry, but are they big enough to absorb the legal and financial burden of the PMTA process?

4 Likes

Never heard of them…

(One of my very favorites)

5 Likes

Mine too. Would you like to hook me up with one of those? :slightly_smiling_face: :upside_down_face: :wink:

4 Likes

I have no idea how effective petitions are but it can’t hurt

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/over-rule-federal-decision-push-pmta-submission-e-cigarette-community

3 Likes

I just hate filling the damn things. I have a couple of monsters in the closet somewhere.

2 Likes

The grandfather date is Feb 15 2007. So any liquid nic on the market before that would be grandfathered in. Salts might be an issue, but freebase has been around since the 60’s.

2 Likes

Yeah, I guess that can turn off some people. Everything I have is bottom fill, except my ErlK’s, so I’ve been bottom filling since I started. It’s an extra couple of minutes, no doubt. I really enjoy the quality of the vape, for my low power MTL style, so the trade off is worth it.

The Kayfil tool is a neat gadget that let’s you rebuild the V2 without emptying the tank, and you only lose a drop or two. Fasttech has them for less than $2, I think. At least they used to.

That’s what’s so cool about vaping, there’s something for everyone’s style & taste.

2 Likes

I hope so, for the future vapers. I honestly don’t have a clue how it’ll all shake out. I opted to take the cautious route, and stashed some in the freezer.

2 Likes

Wow, I thought you were kidding @Raven-Knightly. Stop Vaping AND Bullying all at ONE time ?? !!!

Take control

Introducing FlySense™, the real-time vape detection™ solution that gives you control of areas where you cannot place a camera. Our multi-sensor devices are capable of detecting vaping, smoke, and noise disturbances that may suggest violence such as bullying.

3 Likes

I liked mine, just find myself refilling to often at work or pulled over in the car.

4 Likes

Let us see what the result of this is

Vapor Technology Association And Vapor Stockroom File Lawsuit Against FDA

https://mailchi.mp/vaportechnology.org/press-release-vapor-technology-association-and-vapor-stockroom-file-lawsuit-against-fda

10 Likes

Thank you for sharing that @woftam.

3 Likes

The first rule of defensive litigation for budding assistant attorneys general - ALWAYS request a jury trial !

3 Likes