Flavor History and the Database (notes for users on how to select the proper listing) ;)

Yeah the ones u found are ok most of my faves Re in my recipe idea book.I keep it set to private cause if I enter a flav name wrong or abbreviations etc this guy keeps emailing me that I’m messing up the algorithm lol so I find if easier to wgife it in my booklet.Guy was bugging me about it constantly n they all looked like correct entries so I really just use the ejuice calculator now and dong copy or share recipies but the ones on there are pretty good :+1:Some people man lol

6 Likes

Okay, I know what that’s all about and it’s been a big job (years) to clean it up. What happens is that when you search a flavor or use the drop-down while making a recipe, technically one flavor should appear and you’re done. When people input variations on the name that data is uploaded into the database. For experienced mixers that’s not so much a problem because they know the flavors but newbs get confused and frustrated. For instance, if I want to input FA Custard the dropdown will present numerous options from Custard FA, Premium Custard FA, Custard Premium FA, FA Custard (regular) ad infinitum…and then it shows the number of flavor notes available for that flavor. 9 out of 10, the more the notes the more chances that is the correct flavor you’re looking for. Staffers can’t do anything about how the database takes in the information so they have to go in and manually change the names so everything conforms and there isn’t 22 options for one FA flavor and constant complaints from new mixers trying to make sense out of all the flavors.

I’m willing to bet that staffer was Tortured Zen or maybe Sprksfly. Most of their time is spent cleaning up the database and they started about 2 years ago! After learning that I can understand their frustration and have more empathy. And then there are always new brands and flavors being added to the market. It’s monumental. Btw, even among experienced mixers there’s confusion about flavor names. We’re all in this mess!

11 Likes

Some ppl got nothing better to do than creep others and when they find somethung that’s it they’re
On ya!!

3 Likes

Exactly…Its not because these individuals have nothing better to do its because they spend so much of their time trying to fix mistakes made , its easier to just send a message …

10 Likes

and I get that…if I input the wrong flav name or pic one off a list that has a dash or some number behind it that its not supposed to it does MB ess everything up…but I didn’t know that even when I was set to private my input entries were still affecting everyone…so I went into the flav stash I have( which is only about a quarter of what I have cause I don’t use that feature) I fixed them n the guy just keeps texting me oh its still wrong n only takes 5 min…actually it took me over a half HR cause I really only use half the functions on that site n couldn’t figure out how to erase n re edit etc…i just use it for the ejuice calculator n input exactly what my bottle says but apperebtly there’s so many wrong ones that if I can’t find my exact flav I just pick anything close cause I know what it is but its jack in everyone else up but I didn’t actually mean to turn it off private n have folks copy my recipies then email me about all my mistakes :joy: I told him OMG u again? Would u leaves me alone n make some other recipe! I ain’t fixing no more…1 day ill erase my whole stash n start over n add ALL my flavs but if u txt me one more time I’m call in the cops :joy::joy:

6 Likes

OMG I fixed my stash for the sake of others n thought it was now all fine n the guy still emailing me bout bow in messing everyone else up…sver since I accidentally turned off private beds Ibsen bugging Jenni told bum if he keeps emailing me I’m calling the internet cops on him :joy::joy:

3 Likes

Thats the issue

Best thing to do is pick the one on top when the flavename drops down , the one with the most entries…

Ya even if your rexipes are private your stash entries still affect the database , its a mess

7 Likes

It would be nice to be able to apply ‘tags’. Only privileged flavor database keepers can apply the master tag. Blackberry, NEW (Cap) #master #replacement #legit

Blackberry (Cap) #retired #notavailable #legit

Blackberry V2 (Cap) #available #addition #legit #master

Now I incorrectly add in a different name that is not already in the database.
Blackberries (Capella)

It has no hashtag at all. The Cron job that runs at least once a day sends an email to the flavor list keepers and/or opens a issue/ticket and automatically applies a tag #new entry #needsreview . The flavor keepers can review them and remove the auto tags and place new tags as appropriate. Such as #badname, or maybe the review proves it’s a legit new flavor so the tags applied at #legit #master #available.

Now another user sees a badname flavor and tries to use it. The pre-commit hook sees the #badname tag and disallowed the use, informs the user, and provided a list based on a base name query and the tag #legit and/or #master.

Say I make my own custom flavor, a combination of two #legit flavors. I make entry and apt tag #custom . The pre-commit hook sees the #custom and allows the entry.

I don’t know anything about this recipe site software so maybe it’s not possible. Maybe a creative programmer can build a wrapper, Cron jobs, commit hooks, etc. and make it possible?

Just food for thought.

8 Likes

I had no idea thats what it was…I feel like a dick now. I thought he was just giving me a hard time…fuck I was wrong…been wrong once or twice in me life…:laughing:

6 Likes

well my sincerest apologies @TorturedZen

6 Likes

For the record, I don’t particularly enjoy leaving comments for someone to fix flavor names…just as you don’t like receiving them. It’s time consuming and, as evidenced by some of the comments here, definitely a thankless job.

But complaining about something that needs correcting? That doesn’t work and benefits no one or the website, especially when you’ve been handed a specific ‘how-to’ guide! Now maybe you haven’t committed to reading the Flavor Stash Guide (which I include in every comment), or you have but just didn’t get anything out of it. I’d be happy to answer any additional questions if need be.
BTW, you might want to start spellchecking what you type. Much easier to read that way.

9 Likes

Yeah, I’m good.

5 Likes

First off I have a new cell and can’t locate a decent keyboard with spell check and slide etc but u understand what I’m typing so lets not be so critical about my spelling or don’t even make a comment its rude and I’m not an idiot.Ive mixed over 200 diff recipies and never had 1 issue at Elr until last 3 months.If I choose not to use all the functions at that site or even need to that’s my business.As far as incorrect entries in not the bad guy or am I hardly contributing to the ridiculous entries some knuckle heads put in the data bank but if I can’t find the flavor in my hand I generally click on the one with the most entries or just type it in exactly as its written on my bottle…idk why its not on the list sometimes when there’s only 5-6 to choose from.I can’t believe it actually even got this messed up.I get me clicking on the wrong entry would mess up the algorithm but compared to thousands of these knuckle heads I’ve only maybe did it 4-5 times and honestly tried to understand what u guys were even saying as i didn’t know until recently they were incorrect until I got emailed twice in 2 yrs n both came within a month.I said when I have an hour ill erase and re enter my entire flavor stash and also check my recipes for wrong entries…i don’t want any issues or emails but when someone says dude it will take u 5 min No it won’t because according to them there’s like 15 wrong entries in my recipes and a few in my short stash that entered so far but i can’t find exactly what their talking about so I think ill just erase my flavor stash and just not use it at all…i do want to remedy the problem but i could use a little help by someone with a little patience as I’ve said I don’t want to cause issues but need help one day soon so I’m on it…just please bare with me as i need to set a little time aside and suppose I should learn each n every function but honestly just want to make juice in peace but somewhere along the line I must’ve set it to public by accident so if your willing ,describe exactly what is wrong in my private recipies lol and I will def fix it ok? No problem were good bro :+1: it can’t be too many as most of them are in my DIY notebook and not that many at the site so lets fix what’s there

2 Likes

I guess I get it from both sides now. I have thought i had a flavor right a million times and it is still wrong

2 Likes

Wait so am I messing things up making private recipes with whatever looks close enough to names sometimes? Or is it only if I claim to have a specific flavor in my “stash” that isn’t the real flavor name? Or am I just misunderstanding this whole thing lmao.

2 Likes

I need help big time. I keep messaging ppl and getting no answers. no one has even looked at my recipie since a shitty comment was made about a flavor Bakers touch (LB) I apparently got wrong. and I do not have it wrong. I check the flavor book same 2 answers come up and mine seems right. I check the notes not any reputable mixers have written any of them. I find this kind of hard to believe that no one uses this as it is sold out of almost everywhere all the time. I have done SFT and done my homework how does someone get around this? plz its been 2 days here. im losing my mind. you look it up please tell me where I am going wrong. I can’t do this anymore
its just im getting nowhere

2 Likes

Baker’s Touch (LB) is correct, not Bakers touch (LB)

Often the easiest way to find out the right one is to not enter the whole name in the Search Box. (see my ‘bake tou’).

4 Likes

Not answering directly to you (haven’t read what it is about), but generally

If you cannot find a flavor of a well known manufacturer (let’s say top 30 brands), then you’re doing something wrong. It is nearly zero chance that your flavor is not in the database yet, so please do NOT enter your own flavor names (and rather ask here or elsewhere on the forum).

The problem is that even if it is for your own ‘private’ recipe, that same flavor will be shown in a database (while your recipe won’t be). All these ‘unique’ (= wrong) entries are making a huge mess at the end (see the picture in the above comment) because some newbies entered their own names. We hope this issue will be solved someday soon (deleting wrong entries).

5 Likes

As long as it doesn’t persist with more new mixers, oiy! Then it would be a never ending battle. Too bad there wasn’t a way for the database to reject wrong spellings just like my email rejects wrong addresses.

5 Likes

Ugh how frustrating, this site is just more and more home work. First it’s having bad posts on the forum. Now it’s bad flavor names in our recipes. Can’t do anything right lol. I guess I’ll make a “stash” when I get some time so I never don’t use the wrong flavor names. Seems like a bad design choice if users can add to the database when you don’t want users to add to the database…

Does anyone know of a site with a calculator where I won’t screw everyone else’s stuff up if I just type a name and percentage? I really don’t want to go through and add my whole stash on here but also don’t want to keep messing yall up making mixes on here.

3 Likes