Flavor or Clouds... What Do You Prefer?

[quote=“Joya, post:9, topic:21196”]
More wraps, larger wraps or longer wire gives you a HIGHER ohm rating (more resistance and a HIGHER number). If your coils are coming out too low in resistance, use a (LONGER WIRE, More wraps or larger coil diameter) [/quote]

strong text(You got a couple things backwards in your post in several areas. I corrected one paragraph shown above with the difference capitalized. Please don’t take this as criticism just trying to help you out and help with the confusion. The lowest resistance possible is near ZERO and the highest resistance is Infinity for instance 0.5 ohms is less resistance than 1.0 ohms. Lower resistance gives your higher wattage and is obtained by using a Larger diameter wire (smaller gauge number), less wraps or a smaller coil diameter or a wire material that has a lower resistance per unit of length. Meaning, Nichrome. where a lot of people get confused is the gauge number. The larger the gauge number the smaller the wire is in diameter and the higher resistance the wire will have per unit of length.

It all becomes less confusing is you look a wire with the same frame of mind as you understand a water pipe. A large diameter pipe can carry more water than a small diameter pipe. Same as a large diameter wire can carry more electrons than a small diameter wire. Some direct correlations to help clear thing up.

Voltage is very similar to pressure
Amperage is very similar to volume
Resistance is similar to controlling the rate of flow
Wattage is very similar to flow rate (Gallons per minute) The actual work being done. Filling a bucket with water or heating a coil to produce vapor

Keep in mind when the engineers that developed the national wire gauge tables the bigger the gauge number the smaller the diameter of the wire and the greater the resistance or the ohms per foot value

In water piping, if you make the pipe bigger in diameter, make the pipe shorter or increase the pressure you can get more water through the pipe and increase the rate of flow in GPM. With wire, if you make the wire diameter larger (smaller gauge number), increase the voltage, or make the wire shorter you increase the amperage and the wattage by reducing the overall resistance.

Wattage is what we are after in vaping. Power to do the work. Heat the coils to produce vapor. You can produce 20 watts of power to make vapor at 5 volts with 1.25 ohm coil. At these values there will be 4 amps flowing through you coils. You can also produce 20 watts of power with approximately 2.24 volts at 0.25 ohms. And you will have 8.9 amps flowing. This is as same as saying you can fill a 20 gallon bucket in the same amount of time with a small water pipe at higher pressure as you could fill the same bucket with a larger pipe at a low pressure.

That’s why I said “please correct me”. I knew I had to have something backwards because my coil building has been quite confusing for me to the point of making it ‘not so fun’. I will study this and correct my thinking and hopefully have better luck getting things right. I wish there was a way to delete messages. If so, I’d delete it so know one catches on backwards.

1 Like

Good info. I’ll check it out myself and see what I can come up with. I made a Clapton coil this morning, but I got interrupted and haven’t tested it yet. All a bunch of experimentation for me. Just as long as it’s safe and will work okay, I’m happy. Just curiosity to try out a little of this and that. You hear all the great stuff about different methods, variations and equipment. It’s nice we can dabble as DIY’ers and try things on our own - Thanks to all the experts willing to elaborate on information for some dumb bunny like me. I truly apologize if my questions are sometimes broken up, troublesome or I seem distracted or not as serious as I should. Gosh I have some real bad troubles going on here with an 8 year old with bad parents I’m trying to take care of. So, thanks for help with my little bit of “me time” and what I have to enjoy - vaping.

1 Like

Congrats on your clapton @joya… do you hear this @daath!

4 Likes

I’ve been shamed :frowning: I need to pull my shit together.

4 Likes

Why do you say that?

I just realized that my Orchid V6 styled RTA from Fastech $10.52 has little screws in the bottom where I can adjust the air flow. I think they were set at about 90% open. I closed them making them about 70% and I like the drag much better. Also probably just a coincidence, I am not experiencing any leaking juice from the air holes any more. Previously, I couldn’t stop the leaking even though I watched some videos and rebuild it. The problem seems to stem from proper refilling. If I fill it from the top rather than at the bottom fill hole, leaking is entirely eliminated. Well, off to do the vacuuming. Love to chat. Later dudes.

2 Likes

Clouds are super awesome, but in my world flavor prevails. Im pretty finicky with my juice and need optimal flavor.
The
i have to use more PG to get more flavor…which gives alergy type symptoms…or up my flavor percentage for mixes…
I got with a steady 60VG 40PG for an even amount of flavor and clouds…
I realize this thread is super old, but im a creeper…level 5!

2 Likes

Nah…you’re at least level 8 now :laughing::laughing::grin::kissing_heart:

2 Likes

Bonus points! Hell yes! :kiss:

2 Likes

I want it all!
Tasty and fluffy :smiley:

1 Like

Like this? :grin:

4 Likes

Flavorful clouds.

5 Likes

Awwwwwww love them :smiley:

3 Likes

Just now seeing this, but I find with more power, comes more flavor. To a point though, there is a such thing as burning past the flavor. Also, flavors mute more easily with hotter vapes. Not garunteed, but I feel recipes almost have to be geared towards your setup… kind of.

True! I have found some recipe’s layers are discovered at different temps. I’m kind of half way between the flavor chasing and cloud production. Usually mix at 70/30 or 60/40 (vg/pg), depending on the flavors. Something very gratifying about chucking a huge cloud, but if you can’t taste it, what’s the point? Lol

1 Like

I like 375°F 90% of the time. I get good crisp flavor and enough vapor to round out the experience. Every once in a while I get the urge to grab an RDA with a monster build and crank up the mod in wattage mode and blow some massive fog and smack the senses with some intense flavor but not as a steady diet for sure. I eat and drink the same way. Small bites and probably what might be considered sips. Take a little time and just savor the flavor. With today’s vape gear one can pretty much have it their way. That’s really amazing.

2 Likes

I just cram it in as fast as my mouth can handle…
And I like big clouds. And big flavor. For my big mouth. :open_mouth: :thought_balloon:

3 Likes

Your the best @VapeyMama. That is hilarious. Large clouds can be entertaining. I get the biggest kick out of modified vaper with his extra nose holes.

1 Like