FLAVRZ Flavors Reviewed by SessionDrummer -- TESTING NOW!

Boysenberry (FLAVRZ) 5% / 7.5% (4-9-23) – When you ask most people, many will think Boysenberries are interchangeable with Blackberries, but not exactly. This one from FLAVRZ continued the clean (and clear in the bottle) trend that was becoming obvious now. It presented as a VERY clean, and accurate Boysenberry with plenty of the darker berry tones, along with some bright notes, and slightly tart finish. I started out at 5%, and increased it to 7.5% to see how it improved, and it became fuller and tastier. It felt much better at the higher weight, and more engrossing as a solo. No florals, perfumes, or soapy notes were to be had, nor any off-notes. Sweetness was about mid-level, and it suited this one fine. Because Boysenberries are crossed from 3 different berries, exactly nailing down particular aspects can be hard, but needless to say, it was pretty spot on. I had to fight the urge to toss this one into a custard/pudding to see how it would fare, but I’ll do that later. Fresh, clean, accurate, with just enough tart to finish it off. This one would def. handle your darker berry needs, and then some. Freshly placing this one high due to little to no take-offs @ 9.6/10.

11 Likes

Sounds like that Boysenberry Cheesecake ONE SHOT is looking tempting :blush: may have to ripen it out for 72 hours. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

6 Likes

Hehe @Jetz I may have to JUST do that. I’m always concerned about getting SIDE-tracked once I start a series, but …

4 Likes

May happen when you get to the Mulberry.

6 Likes

Butterscotch (FLAVRZ) 5% /8% (4-11-23) – Sans all of the dirty DAAP’s, I was again interested to see how FLAVRZ pulled off a known “offender” for these. Interestingly enough, this was a different, and “clean” butterscotch. It took me two tanks to really understand what was happening. Although not saturated in dikatone laiden butter heavy-ness, it did impart some buttery mouthfeel. It was a lighter BS, and some of the darker, almost “burnt” notes that many others had, were absent from this one. It centered, squarely on the mid notes of a BS, with a few highs. When testing this at 5% (again), decided to boost it to 8% and it did become much fuller. Semi-rich, but without the heavy butter overtones. Again, it wasn’t NOT buttery, just cleaner, and not as overtly. With most of the burnt notes (darker) it really changed what a BS could be, and depending on your needs/uses could work out perfectly. No off-notes at either testing weight, and it was about mid-level sweet at both as well. For a cleaner, not so heavily over-buttered BS, with no burnt notes, this one was a really interesting one to get into. It felt solid @ 8.5/10.

13 Likes

Caramel (FLAVRZ) 5% / 8% (4-11-23) – This one shared many of the same nuances as the Butterscotch before it, WITH one big difference. It almost tasted like more of a DDL (Dulce De Leche) than a Caramel. There was/were some nice caramel notes/tones in there, but there was something in there, almost like a non-descript bakery that added weight to it, and it almost did favor a DDL over a caramel. At 5% it felt a little thin, and boosting it to 8% cleared THAT right up, and it fattened up nicely. No overt buttery tones, but it had an rich mouthfeel throughout. Much like the Butterscotch, it was a cleaner flavor with no burnt notes, and it actually had more darker tones/notes than the BS did. No off-notes at either strength, and it was about mid-level sweet. It was caramel-y, but was it a caramel ?? To my tastes, it just really tasted like a melding OF a Carmel, AND a DDL. No cinnamon notes, and no overt dairy notes, just a good smooth caramel tempered with a DDL. Two tanks later, I had the same assessment. Scoring this will be tricky as it was very good, but some minor take-offs, as I couldn’t classify it as a “pure” caramel. As a caramel-y DDL I would rate it high at a 9/10, but as a pure caramel I would probably kick it down to a 7/10. It was an INTERESTING flavor, and you probably DON’T have one like it on your shelves, and the only thing that stopped me, was when the tester bottle ran empty…

13 Likes

Interesting take on Caramel, traditionally Caramel will not have any cinnamon notes as it is not cooked or made with them. Caramel (in STRALIA mate!) :slight_smile: like Dulce De Leche (Europe) is traditionally made at home or commercially by cooking out condensed milk. Where a Butterscotch is sugar, butter and water also caramel can be made this way with sugar and water though tends not to be as smooth as a condensed milk caramel. Great details in the flavour review. Having eliminated all the DAAP ingredients and making the flavour concentrates atomisable safe, our caramel is the same flavour profiles as if it would be made with them. I guess its an AUSSIE Carmel :blush:

12 Likes

@jetz I find that very interesting. It never ceases to amaze me how profiles (or recipes) can vary from country to country.

5 Likes

Personally I unfortunately often get a burnt note off caramels and would like them to be more buttery or creamy as such.

9 Likes

Great news @Gazza7, NO burnt notes !!!

7 Likes

Great stuff, sd. How do you compare this with caramel dulce de leche TFA?

6 Likes

@delltrapp to restate, the FLAVRZ Caramel to my tastes, was approx. 60% Caramel, and 40% DDL-ish. I’m calling it DDL-ish for lack of better description, and I never solo’d TPA’s DDL so I cannot directly compare.

@Gazza7 despite not being saturated with DAAP butter notes, it still had some good buttery-ness, AND, a fairly creamy, rich mouthfeel, if that helps at all.

7 Likes

We have sent a lot of time, effort and research developing our flavour to be clean even when used At ridiculous percentages

Also you will find your coils last longer, in most cases about 2-3 times longer

6 Likes

@Gazza7 thus far, this seems to be very accurate.

7 Likes

Cheesecake (FLAVRZ) 5% / 8% (4-13-23) – Kuh Kuh Creamy was the word of the day with this one. This presented as a really good, and CREAMY cheesecake, with hints of sour cream and cream cheese to give it a LOT of authenticity. Some cheesecakes can be footy, or overpoweringly sour, and almost bitter, but this was had none of those, and centered around the creamy style, with JUST enough (hints) of the sourness to keep it authentic, but in no way in an overpowering way. I was through three full testers before I knew it, if that helps you. At times I could really almost pick out the cream cheese and sour cream notes, that were blanketed in a super smooth creamy body. Not sharp, or pungent in any way, but with just a pinch of sharpness as the end. NO graham or crust here, BUT, fear not, as I smelled the “Cheesecake 2”, and hehe, it’s coming. At 5% it was good but (you know the deal), felt like it needed a boost, and 8% REALLY fattened this one up. VERY good mouthfeel and creamy-ness at the higher weight, and no off-notes. Just a really good creamy smooth cheesecake. Hard to fault, and even harder to put down. Rating this one high as it was VERY hard to put down @ 9.6/10.

15 Likes

Looks like you didn’t get the New York Cheesecake?

3 Likes

@KC111 Cheesecake Flavour is more a Quark style baked cheesecake with a very light base that you can manipulate in various recipes by adding Shortbread Flavour, Sugar Cookie 2 Flavour,Cookies & Cream Flavour, Sponge Cake (Pound Cake) Flavour or Graham Cracker 2 Flavour. It will depend on how much base you wish to add and what style. However the Cheesecake 2

8 Likes

After reading S.D.'s review, I went looking for the cheesecake and I found 3, then I looked through his stash and noticed NY Cheesecake wasn’t on the list, lol.

5 Likes

@KC111 while having never heard of, or tried Quark Cheese, smooth and creamy were the big take-aways on the first Cheesecake. Cheesecake 2, DOES have some graham crust in it. I like that Darren does have a pretty intimate knowledge of the flavors, as I would have never known about the Quark Cheese for example. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I don’t even like cheesecake as a dessert, so I am wondering if I should even bother. I might just stick to the fruity flavors since I am not into desserts/ custards/tobaccos/mint.
I’m just surprised you didn’t get the NY cheesecake, it had a great review in the store.

3 Likes