Gauging Interest in a Mixology Game

Yep that did it, looks nice.

I only got a grey box too on chromebook

Try pressing shift and click the refresh on the browser simultaneously

1 Like

Yea that did it took a couple times doing it but the screens up now. Very kewl ! Now do you get to play or is it just a screen shot so to speak.

Iā€™m getting some mixed reviews on WebGL and ChomeOS some are having no problems running them and others just get a gray (or Black) screen with a puzzle piece in the middle. Some of it seems to stem from architecture, whether an Intel based platform (Which seems to run them fine) or other chipsets that just crash. Iā€™ll do some more research and see what I come up with.

Additionally it could just be very slow loading. The more I work with WebGL the less I like it due to load times. without a relatively fast computer it just takes forever. Iā€™m only planning on using the WebGL platform for development and testing, once the app is ready for production deployment, Iā€™ll do individual ports to executables as well as iOS and Android, native running will increase speed dramatically.

And Iā€™m such a slow typer I see the problem has been solved ROFL! Right now, itā€™s just the menu system. Sort of a place holder to preserve the rights to the game. Iā€™ll be trying to add gameplay to it over the next few weeks.

But donā€™t worry, all my ELR friends get first dibs on being beta testers!

2 Likes

oh the game, thought you meant the home page. the game is an alpha version now, some keys work, just enough to click around and design the game around that. The game screens will load somewhat slowly. No real game there yet, just 2 screens and some buttons.
http://hagerweb.com/elra_alpha/ is the link to the game preview

1 Like

@phager @CosmicTruth I was able to get to the screen but no buttons worked from that point. Iā€™ll be excited to play the beta version !!!

1 Like

Yeah, if you go to the New Game screen, you get stuck. I canā€™t seem to get the buttons to work. Iā€™ve tried doing a direct copy of the elements in Unity from functional buttons on a different screen and still no go. Iā€™m probably going to redo the whole new game section from scratch and see If I can get it to work by going back to square one, hopefully tomorrow before work, or Tuesday since itā€™s my day off.

I will be getting in to the movement and physics aspects of Unity in the next section of the course Iā€™m taking, so I should be able to make some progress in the actual game action fairly soon!

1 Like

Alright, itā€™s my day off, so I got to work! :smiley: First, Iā€™m finding the WebGL platform to be highly limiting. In fact, after fixing all the buttons it would no longer load, at least on my machine (Memory errors and other issues, Grrrr). So Iā€™ve decided to head along a slightly different track.

From here on out, all new versions will be natively compiled, no more WebGL. For this installment, Iā€™ve fixed all the buttons on all screens (Resume Game and Settings are still grayed out, since I havenā€™t made views for those yet, and Start Mixing currently takes you to the main menu) Iā€™ve also added background music to the game. Iā€™ve compiled the game in OSX and Windows, so Iā€™ll provide links here. The Windows file contains all necessary directory structure for the came to function. The Mac file creates an App directory. Iā€™m completely clueless on Mac, but the Unity docs say that it can be installed as any standard Mac application.

I donā€™t own a mac, so I have no clue about any bugs that might be present since I canā€™t even test the app, so any of you mac users that download it, let me know what bugs need to be fixed.

Hereā€™s the links to the files:
Windows ā€“ https://www.dropbox.com/s/4uw9hfqsroq18qr/ELRA%20Win.zip?dl=0
Mac ā€“ https://www.dropbox.com/s/zxa9u9hhf14bkul/ELR_Apprentice.app.zip?dl=0

Let me know what you guys think!