Hemp vs Cotton

There you go.
Ya I still have a big piece of the stuff I got, use it to wipe out my RDAs. Happy you had better luck than I did.

1 Like

Well i will try and get some of that baken cotton. Im always looking for the better vape. I went from regular organic cotton. To Japanese cotton to the texas cotton. And it just keeps getting better. Im always up for better. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ya hear that, I might try to grab some of this hemp and see how that goes. Ya I’ve been thru a lot of cotton since I started building. Crazy how much variety out there just in cotton alone.

2 Likes

I wonder if you just got a bad piece or something. Possibly something on your hand or some sort of contamination during the packaging process, I have done that before (something on my hand) and got something similar to New Cotton taste but it did not go away after a few draws so had to re-wick. Have you tried a different piece from the same bag?

The reason they came out with V2 is exactly what you read. My son still has a pack V1 here so I gave it a try tonight while fooling with Ti wire for the first time and again the New Cotton Taste was terrible with V1 re-wicked with V2 and zero New Cotton taste from the first draw. I also tried the Koh Gen Do Japanese cotton I have again tonight and same thing New Cotton taste but not as bad as the V1 Bacon was.

This thread has got me thinking so I will see if I can bum some hemp from the owner of the vape shop I mentioned the next time I get to town. I have tried some of his setups in the past but they were not fresh wicks and to be honest the flavor was not off the chart better to me so I never considered trying Hemp until now. I do know he does not sell it from his shop but he does use it personally. I will also ask why he does not sell it in the shop. He does carry Cotton Bacon V1 & V2 but the price is more than double what I pay for it online.

I’m thinking I got the same batch, rewicked today w the v2 and the flavor was back… I grabbed a few packs of the v1 because it wasn’t from a convenient shop and out of the three they’ve all been good. Thankfully its just cotton haha. But I do like the cotton bacon. They claim V1 and V2 are both flavorless tho, V2 being aimed at sub ohming as its claimed to wick better and stand up to higher temps.

Let us know how the hemp goes, I’ll wait to see if you think its any good in comparison to the bacon! If you ca get your hands on some of course. Hemp is a great product so it may be the way to go. Only I believe hemp would be more resistant to soaking up high vg

I’ve used hemp exclusively except for my Bellus, which flooded horribly with it. I use stuff off Amazon called “Green Remedy”.

1)it’s going to taste woody for about 2-3ml of juice, then it is cleaner than any cotton I’ve tried.

1. it doesn’t burn nearly as easily as cotton, and when it does the first 10 or so dry hits don’t burn the lungs as bad for me

2. it doesn’t completely decompose after a month or so submerged. For some reason that gives me comfort. You know how cotton just becomes this lump that pulls to bits? Well, not hemp.

3. it clears flavors much more easily than cotton. I’ve never had to rewick due to flavors hanging around

4. it wicks better than ANY cotton I have tried. I haven’t tried the cotton bacon, and can’t imagine I’ll need to

5. it just lasts a lot longer on a per wick basis

6. With the cotton I was getting, I’d notice a very fine powder when I would pull it apart. I see no such powder with the hemp. I don’t want that stuff in my lungs.

7. It tastes better than cotton IMHO.

Finally, I have used it successfully on RDAs, a billow V2, TFV4 double and single decks, and a Crown tank.

YMMV, and happy vaping.

2 Likes

I thought this video from Phil Busardo was interesting, his test of four different wicking materials. Hemp was one of the contestants.

Happy vaping!

1 Like

Yeah, if that’s the one I’m thinking he didn’t like hemp. As with everything to each his own. I am a born again, won’t even consider cotton (I’d try the bacon and some of cotton man’s stuff as long as it isn’t dusty), convert. Call me a soft convert though, things change.

But you gotta get past the woody phase. I can’t get out of my driveway without going through 3ml. For the MTL crowd maybe it’s too long to get rid of the wood.

2 Likes

I started with organic cotton, then went to Japanese cotton and loved the difference. It was night and day. Japanese cotton hands down. Then recently i got some texas sub organic cotton. And i find it a little better then Japanese cotton. Still haven’t tried hemp yet.

1 Like

See that’s what I’ve heard about hemp, that it starts off really earthy before it gets good. I also heard more expensive but if it lasts longer than that would even out.
How drastic of a flavor change have you tried?
I’ll have to give some a try as I start every day w combos of flavors that may be similar im flavor, would be nice to bring out a broader mix for the day. Thanks for the review.

Mint to tobacco to fruit over maybe 3 cycles only needed to rewick cause of the Xcube TC not working so I was using it in VW mode and hit it a few too many times dry.

1 Like

One significant downside to hemp is that it is not nearly as flexible as cotton. I have yet to wick a Bellus with hemp without it flooding. But it’s a problem any time you need really tight bends like wicking a small RBA deck like the crown. I have it working in the Crown, but it distorts thin wire builds and is just generally more difficult to work with.

But, on a dripper or a bigger deck like the TFV4 it’s aces.

1 Like

Went to the local shop and got to wick one of my Lemo tanks with hemp. I DO NOT LIKE the taste when freshly wicked. I have one tank each freshly wicked with Hemp, Japanese Cotton(KGD), and one with Cotton bacon V2 all with the same juice and for me it will remain Cotton Bacon V2 as my choice just because of the Break in taste. I would have to give it to Japanese Cotton(KGD) as my second choice and for me anyway Hemp is now on my list of Don’t Use unless there is nothing else available just because of the taste which is still there after 1/4 of a 5ml tank.

@daath I must add here as well… For the first time I have got a very slight New Cotton Taste from Cotton Bacon V2. I just started a new pad and the first wick from it has a very slight taste new but it went away within the first 6 to 8 draws.

1 Like

Do me a favor and finish the hemp tank. Also, can you say what brand of hemp you were given.

Pbusardo didn’t like the Nick’s Wick’s version.

1 Like

It was Nick’s Wick’s and I my opinion anyway much harder to use, bad taste that lingers much longer than any cotton I have ever used and so far it seems to wick max vg juice ok but the ease of use and less initial bad flavor of cotton is the winner for me anyway. I will vape the rest of the tank with the hemp but for now V2 Cotton Bacon will remain my go to wick with Japanese Cotton being second choice

EDIT: I should have added that he told me he does not sell it in the shop because there were not enough people buying it when he did carry it for sale.

2 Likes

Ya he mentioned it takes like 3ml just to down the earthy flavor. And hate to say happy to hear you found the cotton flavor and it wasn’t just us haha. But no its FAR less cotton flavor than some wicks give you. I’m still feeling on the fence w the hemp. Guess depends how it does after it loses he earthy flavor. And I can see why the store didn’t sell much, if I was buying 13$ 15 ml bottles I wouldn’t want to give up 20% of the bottle just to use the wick… But w DIY 3ml is nothing to worry about.
Keeping the cotton bacon going until further notice haha, will try the hemp eventually, be nice to switch from my Sinnamon to a Blueberry Custard w out changing wicks or rdas

I just thought about one factor that may be in play with this. I just converted everything to Titanium wire. This was the third piece from a fairly new bag of V2 but previous ones were only used on either kanthal or ni200 builds. Still I will continue to use Cotton Bacon V2 as it just works the best for me taste or no taste.

1 Like

Yes I’m a pretty heavy sub ohm dripper and the V2 looks about the same on day one as day three. Barely taste a dry hit and instead of the gagh yuck ugh, its just oops, she’s dry!

Hell, I’ve been mixing so long at this point that I forgot 15ml was a ton of juice. I swear I’ve seen recipes that mix ten times that much flavor? I mean for a flavor like “chocolate”. A dollar a milliter, hell no! I literally blew through 3ml in my TFV4 backing my car out of the driveway. There is road construction.

3 Likes

I think i will say with cotton baken. Japanese cotton and texas sub cotton.

1 Like