How E-cigarette Panic Benefits ($) Health Activists

For those of you that wonder, "Where does all the money come from to fund the anit-vaping ads and campaigns I see on TV and in the mass media? Here is your answer:

The paper is over 100 pages long and complete with detailed annotation. It is written in an academic style that is a little opaque at times. But even though the work was intended for administrators, regulators and professionals in the Health Industry, you can scan through it and gain a valuable insight into how modern “fear politics” work, and how it is paid for.

The Fear Profiteers
How E-cigarette Panic Benefits Health Activists
author: Michelle Minton, Competitive Enterprise Institute

Download the PDF here

Thanks to Bret Stafford of Regulator Watch for making this available.

Public fears about the supposed dangers of e-cigarettes appear to be fueled by anti-smoking advocates’ successful execution of a long-term and well-funded strategy to promote fears about e-cigarettes, then exploit those fears to lobby for progressively stricter regulations on— and the eventual elimination of competitors to—nicotine replacement products.

Some of many topic covered are:

• -HOW NONPROFITS PROFIT
  • -NONPROFITS VS. GOVERNMENT-SPONSORED
  • -HEALTH ADVOCATES
  • -PURSUING FUNDING
  • -THE BUSINESS OF ANTI-SMOKING ADVOCACY
  • AND GOVERNMENT FUNDING
  • -THE BUSINESS OF ANTI-SMOKING ADVOCACY
  • AND INDUSTRY FUNDING
  • -HOW ANTI-TOBACCO ADVOCATES BENEFIT BIG PHARMA
  • -THE ANTI-VAPING PLAYBOOK
  • -THE ANTI-TOBACCO-BIG PHARMA ALLIANCE
  • -THE ANTI-TOBACCO-BIG TOBACCO ALLIANCE
  • -THE ANTI-TOBACCO-PUBLIC HEALTH ALLIANCE
  • -ACTIVISTS VS. JUUL
13 Likes

A short interview about the paper

11 Likes

Might want to read:

4 Likes

I checked this out and just thought I would add that this pokes at much bigger issue which is paid research to find a desired outcome, and using those “proven” studies to push a corporate or political agenda. I’m amazed how blind general people are to this.
sugars worse than people even realize but buy some research and headlines say aspartame’s worse even though that’s been debunked.
paper/clothing/fibres —> cannabis bad!

my personal favourite is “eating fat makes you fat” when it’s actually the best thing to do to lose weight. Basically the ketogenic diet.

really sad that lying and keeping the population ignorant is just business and the source of our health epidemic

margarine -----> butters bad!

5 Likes

margarine is fat but its a man made fat eating good fats like in butter is totally fine, lots of monounsaturates.

general concensus is we still don’t know they built the pyramids even though it was proven it was geopolymer casting like 20 years ago. but if everyone knew that it wouldn’t be a wonder of the world and it would hurt egypts tourism.

3 Likes

Of course, it is very profitable for cigarettes manufacturers. They will do everything to reduce the vape’s popularity. It’s all about money. If people are going to be afraid of vaping, they will buy more cigarettes, and will bring more money to them. However, I am sure that all this stuff is not true, and the vape is much more harmless than the cigarettes are. That’s why I have recently bought myself a new very cool vape and tasty juice from https://aquavape.co.uk! I’ve been smoking for 5 years, and after I moved to vape, I started feeling much better.

4 Likes