How often to change the cotton?

While we’re on the topic of rewicking… I vape strictly tobacco blends and find that even though taste might hang in there for as long as a week, the coils gunk pretty damn fast. And depending on recipe, taste goes off pretty quick too. Is this normal with tobacco mixes? I’m on Kayfun Mini V3. I dry burn the crap off and rewick almost daily as of now.

This pic is after 2 days or so of ADVing. Normal or nah?

2 Likes

I find rayon not only better in the taste department, but much more forgiving concerning dry hits. A dry hit with cotton, and it was necessary to change the wick. The burnt taste would linger for the life of the wick. With rayon, it’s pretty much a non event. I just set it aside for a few minutes and let the wick catch up, and move on. Like Jim, when it’s time for a change, it’s always due to the coils being gunked up. Usually the rayon wick is still fine.

I’m low power, tobacco only, and depending on the juice, two days or so, and I’m ready for a dry burn & re-wick. If I’ve added some NET to the mix, I’m only good for the day, before the coil is gunked. My first indication is when the flavor starts falling off and becomes muted.

3 Likes

One of our resident tobacco experts @Kinnikinnick may be able to answer this :wink:

1 Like

Yup. I’m in the same boat as you, @d_fabes and a host of other tobacco flavor Vapers. I rarely go above 30 watts with a tobacco mix or any mix to be exact; pretty much a tobacco chain vaper as well. So, I’m just resigned to the fact that frequent wick changes and coil burns is what’s needed to appease my senses. It may be a slight pain in the butt, however, the flavor factor out weighs the trouble factor. :grinning:

3 Likes

Every few days, I have 4 main tanks I use in rotation. All rebuildable, The Avocado 24, The Cleito RTA, The Bellus and the Velocity RBA. I have the Herakles RTA 2 and the Mage RTA on the way, so I’ll probably get a little lazier about re-wicking them all. But I’ll certainly re-wick the most used every couple of days or so. Can’t beat fresh wick, just makes everything taste better.

Didn’t mean to direct reply @Kinnikinnick sorry, :smiley:

2 Likes

I found that wicking with rayon has given me almost constant dry hits with a very nasty burnt taste so I went back to using cotton bacon v2.

What type of rayon should I try, is there an exact brand or website to check out? I don’t know a thing about it.

With Japanese cotton that I use, any dry hit I’ve ever gotten was a result of me forgetting to open the juice flow control again after refilling the tank.

Low wattage vaper here too. 1ish ohm coils 10-13 watts. Occasionally, I go up to a whooping 20 watts or so just to see if it changes the flavor of the juice. On my 75 watt device, I’ve never made it past 30 and that was me “living on the edge”. @Kinnikinnick

Lemme see if I can find the couple of threads which cover rayon and I’ll attach them soon. But, in the mean time, here’s a good thread:

1 Like

Nice one thanks! Much appreciated!

1 Like

http://forum.e-liquid-recipes.com/search?q=Rayon

:grinning:

1 Like

I’m beginning to think I need a research assistant hahaha. Between synthetic tobaccos, NETs, FDA tyranny, tanks, batteries and builds and now wicks… I’m never able to say I have nothing to read about on the interwebs. I used an ego c twist, tank that requires premade coils and B&M house juice for 3 years up until a few months ago when I got fed up with spending too much money. It was a simpler time then :slight_smile:

1 Like

Same here! :wink:

It was like the clouds parted overhead when I took my first hit off some dudes dripper in a vape shop. :kissing_heart::dash::dash::dash: …then I fell down the rabbit hole! :laughing:

3 Likes

I bought some vaping outlaws rayon and it is actually incredibly good, the strands are almost perfectly straight which means the liquid flows very direct, you just have to let it soak for a bit before vaping.

It seems to disperse the liquid quite quickly during vaping and chain vaping can sometimes yield a dry hit but no disgusting taste or anything.

It’s my birthday today so I’m a little drunk, I apologise if this makes no sense lol

Happy vaping!

4 Likes

For my cotton I’m using what looks like kendo pads, I was given a bag full by a friend, no dry hits and great flavour.

I usually vape @ 25-35w on a single coil Clapton in a griffin 25 RTA.

2 Likes

The 44060 or the bigger box 44043

2 Likes