How's everybody building their kayfun v5

Yay you! :grinning: Iā€™m glad to see youā€™re having success finding that M2L tankā€¦itā€™s pretty too!

I was trying to pry a coupon code out of Gina1 with 3F Vape for ELR folks, but it seems as if they wonā€™t budge. :pensive: Iā€™ll probably get a V5 and mini V3 soon thoughā€¦their prices are fairly low already. :smirk:

2 Likes

I got this one on clearance for 18$ at KanVape http://kanvape.com/collections/vaping-hot-deals/products/kayfun-lite-v4-rba-rebuildable-atomizer-tobeco-clone

I like KanVape they are nice ppl.
July10 for 10% off & all orders over 20$ ship free. Just got an email for this special.

1 Like

I mean what type of wire kanthal , SS , ni chrome

Oh haha sorryā€¦ Kanthal

1 Like

Amy that is no small accomplishment as many experienced builders found the Kayfun V4 to be one of the most difficult tanks to get working properly.

Kudos to you :thumbsup:

3 Likes

my 28g 2.5 id 9wraps 1.67 ohms. most difficult for a while to get working properly. just getting use to it this time.

2 Likes

@Amy2 Iā€™ve bought a smjy k5 and was looking here to figure out what wire, ID etc. to start with to get the ohms that me as a MTL vaper is used to. Thanks for your post, I can take this as a reference point for further research.

1 Like

May I suggest using steam engine? Input the wires you have a availble and kinda fiddle around with wire type/wraps/gauge ect to get the ohms you want. Thatā€™s what I do.

http://www.steam-engine.org/coil.asp

3 Likes

Yes I have played around a bit on this site, pretty good and easy to use.

1 Like

I love that lil dripper kicks butt for a MTL hit

Personally I have been putting coils in at 2.5 and 3mm inner diameter. The challenge is that I only use ss316l. So I normally ohm out around .4 to .6.

For a true MTL. Since Iā€™m not that person I would do as many wraps with 28g on a 2 or 2.5mm. But the beauty is that you can customize. I still find the kv5 air flow pretty restrictive even wide open. Iā€™m sure you will find that good spot. Just toss in some builds till you find it.

1 Like

Placed an order for a coil master v2 diy kit, a spool of 30AWG Kanthal and some cotton. Will give it a shot tomorrow and see how it goes.
:thumbsup:

On the steam engine site, what is the best value to put in for Leg length (total) for the Kayfun v5 (smjy), assuming doing 6 or 7 wraps? cheers.

Iā€™ll be honest. Not sure. I leave it at the default. I use the site as an indicator of how many wrapsā€¦and what it should show when I put the coil on my device.

So if the website shows that it should be 0.4ohm and I end up with 0.42 or 0.38 Iā€™m good.

1 Like

Hi,
I just ordered this Kayfun 5 clone.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/252470560814

This is my first RTA, but I have made coils in the passed. My question is, Will 26g wire be OK to use for now? I already have 150ā€™ feet of 26g SS 316L wire to use up. If so, what size ID (to wrap over) and about how many winds, and spaced or tight wraps? I also still have about 20ā€™ ft of 26g Kanthal wire, same question. Iā€™m using an 80w varriable wattage mod and have been using a Kanger TopBox Tank with .5 SSOCC coils. Iā€™d be happy to get cloud hits equal or better on this Kayfun 5 clone with the wire I already have. Iā€™m just out of funds right now, and want to start using it in 2 days when it gets here. I DIY my own juice now for a while, so saving a little money there. Bought this Kayfun 5 cuz Iā€™m tired of spending $3 bucks a pop for replacement coils. With 3 vapers in my family, just tryin to keep my costs down. Mixin my own juice, so why not build my own coils? Yep, 3 of us off the stanky cancer sticks for 2.5 years and Lovin it.

Thanks for the helpā€¦!!!

Great tool for coil buidling:

http://www.steam-engine.org/coil.asp?mat=ss316&r=1.5&id=3

Iā€™m more into flavor than clouds so canā€™t help you with the cloud part. FWIW, I make simple spaced coils using 28g Kanthal A1 with 2 mm ID on my Kayfuns. I end up with between 1 ~ 1.3 ohm and vape around 15 watts. It makes a small cloud that blocks my screen only for a second or two, but plenty of flavor.

1 Like

Thatā€™s my modus operandi as wellā€¦ flavor. Plus, my NET juices donā€™t really care for high wattage. Our coiling methods are almost identical; most times I venture into 2.5mm or 3mm ID territory, but staying around 1 to 1.5 ohms. Just for shits and grins, Iā€™ll do a 28ga twisted pair for .5 to .7 ohm setup every now and then for my hybrid Synth/NET mixesā€¦ that fires kinda warm-ish on a mech mod with a fresh battery at 4.2 volts. :grimacing:

@Moto_Bob youā€™re fine using 26ga SS, however, youā€™re just going to have to experiment and find the build that satisfies you. Steam Engine can help you get thereā€¦ but just twisting up a few coils and seeing where you land is how itā€™s played.

Got an ohm meter for testing purposes? If notā€¦ get one. :wink:

Yeah, Thanks for all the info. Iā€™m not a cloud chaser either, just refered to getting a decent hit thats rich in flavor.

Donā€™t have an ohm meter for coils, just a regular multimeter, and the ohm reading on my mod. I guess Iā€™ll need to pick one up. Any that you reccomend, or are they all basicly the same? Iā€™ve seen them on ebay for about $10ish bucks. Iā€™ve only seen like 3 different ones.

1 Like

I have a Coilmaster 521 Tab for checking and test firing coils. Geekvape makes one as well. Another idea might be to get a coil making kit that comes with a 521 tab.

(coupon code reddit10 or TenOff for 10% off)

I have the V2 version, which has an ohm meter, but doesnā€™t test fire. Although not necessary, itā€™s a nice compact kit that has all the coil making tools in one handy case.

2 Likes