Infused Vanilla VG , I want to play!

So, it’s my Friday, here on Thursday.
Done with work, and though I’ve been dabbling in sobriety, I’ve enjoyed a few tonight and have found both the boredom and courage to face a monster with which I’ve been contemplating a battle for some time.
Vanilla VG.
SOO…
I have never had a better vanilla than Vape Kitchen’s “Bad Mother Custard”, and rather than post a request for the recipe since they are no longer in business, I searched the forum files for “”(REQ) Bad mother Custard" and found someone else who was looking for the recipe and/or method by which those sumbitches made this vanilla that is so delicious.
In Session Drummer’s comment, the second or third on the thread, he quotes the company’s statement that they infuse Madagascar Vanilla with VG.
Go look if you want.
So, I am staring down 120 grams of Madagascar vanilla beans I’ve purchased from “Satan’s headquarters” for 35 dollars, and an abundant supply of VG that I always have around, and I’m contemplating how to infuse the vanilla beans into the VG.
It’s not like I haven’t contempated this before, it’s just that tonight I am feeling particular curious and adventurous so let me ask…
One theoretic method is to place 50 grams or so of vanilla beans into a mason jar and cover with just enough quality vodka to immerse the beans, and let it mascerate for a month or two and then add VG to fill the jar, and go another couple months.
But have I simply just made vanilla extract and added VG, similar to adding vanilla extract from a store to VG?
Next thought; take 50 or so grams of vanilla beans to 500 ml VG and place in a dark closet and forget about it for 6 months, allowing the product to “steep” into the VG and risk opening a jar of mold and vanilla vomit that cost around 30 dollars to make?
Does VG degrade from heat?
Because here’s my thought, and forgive me because I am a chef and everything is heat.
“Vape kitchen” certainly didn’t put a thousand dollars worth of Madagascar vanilla beans into a 50 gallon

6 Likes

@Chef_Johnny this is a GREAT post, and I DID really like that one from Vape Kitchen.

Now, I can’t help you in regards to the “infusion”, but given your background, I’m sure you’ll get it figured out.

I wonder if Shane from @VSOflavors would be willing to give you some tips and tricks, that wouldn’t infringe on his proprietary methods.

I think THAT ^^ depends on how much for how long. Warming VG makes it more viscous for sure, but higher, or extended heat I’m not sure about.

5 Likes

I have made the extract without the quality vodka. Think I paid about $3.50 for a quart bottle at Walmart. 50 grams? I don’t actually know the weight of the beans I used. It was sold by the number of beans and not weight. I bought two fourteen bean packages and chopped them into half inch pieces then divided them equally into four pint canning jars and topped the jars off with vodka. Let them sit in the pantry for about three months. The vanilla extract turned out about twice as strong as what’s bought commercially.
The process of infusion of VG ,to me, would be getting the balance of VG to extract.
To get a better idea search the extraction of tobacco threads. It will give you a better idea of the process. If I remember correctly it was done with PG but it shouldn’t be any different using VG except for time of maceration.

6 Likes

VERY good stuff @rcleven.

6 Likes

Pls no, only use pure alcohol (96°), u can’t extract a flavour with vodka if u want to vape it.

Extract or macerate something in vg is really really hard, pg is a lot better solvent. If u sterilize the jar very well and u cover the beans they won’t rot. The ratio 1 beans : 5 pg (10 grams of beans in 50 grams of solvent) is good for pg but i would stay at 1:3 or 1:2 if u want to use vg. I macerated many things like lemon zest, mint, basil and more the bean is dry, the better it is: water isn’t real friendly with maceration or extraction. After a month u need to filter the pg with a 10 or 5 micron filters and even better if before use a thing called micronized talc for being sure to remove any deposit or material that can be toxic if vaped, and THEN u filter everything. This operation must be done for both extraction with alcohol or maceration.

If u aren’t sure of what u are doing is a lot better buying flavours like shisha vanilla inawera (which is a natural extract), that u can use to aromatize vg. Vaping something not correctly filtered only makes u cough, i proved it personally.

5 Likes

@rcleven what happens to all of the alcohol ?? Once you pair with the VG does it off gas/evaporate ? I don’t make extracts, or infusions, and don’t fully understand the whole “vaping” and “alcohol” thing, … YET.

4 Likes

Haven’t tried it myself. The alcohol, being lighter should separate and sit on top of the VG. If left open it should evaporate and gas off. It’s getting the proper balance of extract to VG level that’s going to be the hardest part.

6 Likes

I still have some :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

You’re right about that, especially since the 60ml bottles were selling for like $4.99 or something. Since I’m such a vanilla snob, if you come closer to your dreams I sure would like to know. You might want to try getting something like this for starters, although not necessary. Just fun for infusing flavors into the french oak. Make a vanilla bean extract in the cask then use it to steep your juice. The website that sells them gives instructions on best how to do this.

5 Likes

Dammit! Always some smart party pooper who has to get all scientific.
It is appreciated though. I actually HAD thought about that, what with vanilla beans being oily by nature, also grown in the planet’s nether regions and sent on a cargo ship with god knows what else on board…
Thank you for your input.

4 Likes

Thanks muth, I’ve also dabbled with aging bourbon by placing mid quality vodka in a gallon mason jar with toasted American Oak chips, rather than investing in that adorable barrel. I think it might just add to the undesirables I’m worried about as relates to vaporizing into my lungs, so that probably won’t be added to this high wire act.

5 Likes

Well, looks like I’ll be using my vanilla beans for cookies and bourbon and the like.
If someone figures this out, let me know.

5 Likes

Well…yes it can but getting there is another matter. The boiling point of VG is 290C (554F) . However, it is well established that heating VG past 280C (536F) results in thermal decomposition – the glycerine molecule turns into acrolein. Acrolein is a very reactive compound, toxic and irritating, especially for the eyes and skin. Every vaper experiencing a dry hit should be aware of the fact that they are inhaling an amount of acrolein…e.g. you are tasting thermal decomposition of VG.

There are several concentrate vendors that advertise their products as remaining stable up to 400F.

I can discuss “infusion” with you if you like.

6 Likes