Is reviewer made RDA/RTA's a good idea or not?

Lets face it it is more than likely most (if not all of them) are lending their name to a product that is already designed. Did George Foreman invent the grill or lend his name as an endorsement? I would suggest only a few of them actually do any design work on them but i guess who really knows.

3 Likes

George Foreman Grill
Inventor: Michael Boehm, Robert Johnson

2 Likes

mate…as if lol…I just wanted you to know that that’s what I do because it can still seem untrustworthy even at my level.

I don’t consider myself serious AT ALL …:wink: tiny fish in a very big ocean. :+1:

2 Likes

@Steampugs when are you releasing the 30mm RDA?

4 Likes

I actually ribbed Brian about doing a 6 post 30mm drop…he said he has no recollection of that conversation (joking that he’s going to steal my idea lol)

I still have my plans for the ‘Satans third leg’ kit…lipo powered PWM with a matching 30mm triple coil RDA …surprisingly…no ones biting :rofl:

5 Likes

Dude…I’m all over it! Lol

3 Likes

Doesn’t matter really lost credibility long ago.

I mean they review dozens of products and only on rare occasions it’s a bad product. Even then a lot try to sugar coat it with stuff like it looks nice and you can use your own drip tip. Would much rather see stuff like the following.

It’s a goon styled RDA but the goon does it better at a better price. So unless you like the look off this better and really got your heart set on it… Buy the goon.

Nope 90% off their reviews they are struggling to find negatives and are nitt picking. If that where true we wouldn’t need reviews cause we could basically pick up any RDA and get a stellar vape

2 Likes

I can tell you now…if something is an absolute POS they refuse to review it, and it’s rare to get something that bad.

2 Likes

Most of them that guide you to a specific site for any products are making a commission. It shouldn’t be something they accidentally let slip, it’s actually legally required they disclose it. Check the “About section” on their channel page or the description box of their videos it should be written there if they haven’t verbally stated it.

There has been multiple instances of reviewers caught with their pants down after people discovered them following scripts that were provided by the suppliers. It’s not all reviewers but there are more than a few that should call themselves hype men rather than reviewers.

2 Likes

Is that so. I am a member of myvaporium as is @norseman and I can honestly say neither of us have made a dime of reviews we have done - in fact many of the things I review I also have paid for.

I can’t speak for others there but if a reviewer lists an affiliate link to make a little money off something there is nothing making you use it and it helps pay for the time taken to actually review the item.

People seem to think that reviewing is all paid for by a free item and tbh if you wanted to get paid $20 value in goods for a days work then yer sure you call call them paid reviews.

5 Likes

I shouldn’t have generalized, that was shitty of me. I should edit that out. I didn’t mean to offend you. Some of the guys over there are shady as can be and have been exposed for it.

2 Likes

I actually agree with this as well. Ad rev and affiliate links are perfectly acceptable to me. I know reviews take time and being compensated in a small way is well deserved.

I don’t think reading a script provided by the company qualifies as a review and seems really shady. Of course I won’t buy something I haven’t researched and don’t let people make my mind up for me. It’s just unethical in my opinion.

2 Likes

Totally agree with the script shit - there are a few vendors that try to influence what is said and for the most part they are not listened to or told to stfu. Of course there are always those humans among us that have ulterior motives.

5 Likes

Ryuk, im inviting you personally to vaporium…
Timmerz…

3 Likes

IMO, a good idea. All of the recent RDAs designed by reviewers (Icon, Rabbit, Drop, Bonza) are all very good RDAs.
If the reviewers earn something for their hard work providing us vapers with the info we require, then good luck to them, they deserve it!

1 Like

I’m pretty much with Grubby and VapeyMama.

Given that I’ve tried a few different types firsthand, and read every conceivable op-ed/review on something that interests me…

And better than still pics, video gives the opportunity to get angles/views that you otherwise can’t get from a static shot. But, that’s really phase 2.
Most of the time, I lose interest in a design just seeing photos (poor design).

Agreed. I consider it more of a confirmation that I was on the right track (if they agree) and might learn something I hadn’t thought about (if they don’t like it).

I completely agree. But, just like with DIY liquids, you have to know if your vaping style and the reviewer’s are in sync (or at least “respectably close”) before you put any weight to their opinion in the first place!

But then, I’ve NEVER given two shits about fashion or brand names (on any metric other than quality). I don’t care about what’s hot or cool, or the latest craze. I only care about two things. Performance and quality. And the vast majority of the time (for me anyways) I can tell by looking at the hardware*.

*(thinking of tanks for the majority of this commentary. For mods, I look at the technical for the most part, which means chipset, and then Phil Busardo and DJLsb usually.)

3 Likes

I would love to see the design process of an atomizer. I’m not convinced there is a lot of “science” that goes into that process beyond trial, error, and what looks like it might work. If my assumption is correct then I can see where a reviewer could have equal input to the other designers per exposure to other atomizers. If in effect actual design goes deeper into physics then I would perceive the reviewer’s role as marketing only much like guitars, hand lotions, shampoos, bla bla bla. Wanna look like Cindy Crawford? Smear this on your face! Oh ya, and give us your money. Wanna play like Slash? Here’s your guitar! With his name on it and everything! Oh ya, and give us your money.

1 Like

TBH i would say they do come across alot of gear and probably the faults that some of em maybe keep making.
Then again its also a mather of taste on these things.
Rip Trippers likes to blow clouds with air flow wide open for example while Mike Vapes is more into the flavor.
On that info , they might make theyr own preference.

1 Like