Just a plug, to begin mixing by weight!

I was hesitant to begin mixing by weight, but when I finally did, I was bummed out that I waited so long. It is so much easier, much less messy. The results are excellent!

You know, if you see drops on recipes on ELR, you can go to your profile, and enable grams! :smile:

4 Likes

Do we need (another) guide to mixing by weight? :slight_smile:

1 Like

This is great :smile:
I mix in grams , so now wont have to do any calculation.

Oh shit, you didnā€™t know you could use weight on ELR? Weā€™ve had that option for months now :smile: I should probably make people aware of itā€¦

3 Likes

Whatā€™s the best/easiest way to determine the grams per ml for all of my flavors?

I know with a lot of flavors you can pull up the MSDS sheet to find out specific gravity. Maybe you could add links to MSDS sheets, and a ā€˜suggestedā€™ weight for flavors that a lot of people have added the weights for?

Iā€™ve been mixing by volume but I have this scale hereā€¦

@wurzle You can just use it without specifying weight - ELR assumes ~1 g/ml for flavorings - That is usually good enough. If youā€™re really serious, you can specify weight yourself :smile: I can add general MSDS-links to some brands, like TPA :slight_smile: Iā€™ll put that on my list! :smile:

EDIT: When more people have specified weight, Iā€™ll have a look at doing suggestions for them (or even defaulting to the average?) :smile:

1 Like

Sure is a No Brainer!

With good Digital Scales with an accuracy of 0.01g at less than $20.00 I can.t understand why everyone doesnā€™t mix by weight!

3 Likes

I think itā€™s because they think itā€™s kinda hard - but itā€™s really much easier :smiley: I am kind of bummed out that I took so long to switch to mixing by weight! :smile:

1 Like

Most flavors fall into the range of 0.9g/ml to 1.1g/ml.
You can, of course, look up the MSDS sheets for every flavor to find out their specific weight, but thatā€™s a) time consuming and b) not every flavor vendor has MSDS readily available.
To make it easier, you can just assign all of your flavors a specific weight. Some people choose the SG of PG (1.036g/ml) or simply 1g/ml. This allows for personal consistency, which is key in mixing.
As long as you always stick to that number, your batches will stay consistent across the board.

1 Like

According to this reddit thread someone wrote something to scrape specific gravity from the MSDS spec sheet of everything available on TFA.

Hereā€™s the link to the google doc.

1 Like

Thatā€™s useful! :smiley: Thanks @wurzle! I might write my own scraper - so it will be constantly updated :smiley:

I am actually thinking of contacting TPA and other manufacturers, see if they can provide me with a ā€œliveā€ list of flavorings and info regarding them - That would be incredibly useful to us as DIYā€™ers, and to them, because we buy their stuff! :wink:

2 Likes

Well, if you want to go the specific gravity route:
TFA

[Capella][2]
[2]: http://www.reddit.com/r/DIY_eJuice/comments/2kqwow/list_of_capella_flavors_and_their_weight/

[FA][3]
[3]: http://www.reddit.com/r/DIY_eJuice/comments/2jh5cl/byweight_mixers_i_got_some_densities_from/

2 Likes

It took me a while (and a feedback form to you) to figure out how to switch it a while back. I remember reading it somewhere that you could use grams on the ELR, but never found directions. Maybe add it into the FAQā€¦

As far as mixing by weight goes, its by far the best way IMO!

2 Likes

Mixing by weight was my first choice for starting DIY. And using disposable pipettes. I didnā€™t want to deal with all the beakers test tubes having syringes around, counting drops and cleaning that goes along with it.
Everyone has their own preference but this one is mine. I can make one recipe and move on to the next one quick and easy. Close the lid on my scale, toss out the pipettes and Iā€™m done.
Anyone thatā€™s looking for a scale I can recommend this one. Itā€™s what I use.

It has AC and DC so when you mix plugged in you wonā€™t have the auto off happen in the middle of your mix.
Comes included with calibration weights to keep your measurements spot on. Itā€™s very simple to calibrate.
Measures in 1/100 of a gram that you need for DIY.
I got mine off eBay because amazon was out of stock at the time. Delivered in 3 days free shipping.

2 Likes

It would be nice if ELR had the specified weights automatically linked with the flavors. I know they have the msds sheets but we still have to manually enter the weight.

Just go to users in the upper right corner and clickā€¦
in the drop down menu select preferencesā€¦
check the box for use manufacturers specific gravities.

4 Likes

Hi. Thank you. But I already checked that box. I still have to manually enter the weight from the msds sheet. The weight box is always blank. Thanks for the feedback though.

If you use this format, ā€œBrown Sugar (TPA)ā€ it will automatically adjust the weight for you. Unless you just want see it in your notes.

Generally, if there is MSDS, there is also weight - the weight is also visible on the flavor details page. If youā€™ve checked the ā€œUse manufacturer specific gravitiesā€ they will be used where applicable :smile:

2 Likes

The image wouldnā€™t paste. I did make a brown sugar test recipe and it did change 1ml to 1.07g. So it is working. But my flavor notes are blank.
I have had to manually enter weights before that had specified weights on the msds sheet. Thatā€™s why I was thinking it wasnā€™t really calculating by weight automatically. Maybe they donā€™t have the database completely up to date. Thanks for showing me that.

1 Like