Looking to start building coils

My absolute maximum I would have my wattage set to is 80. But I highly doubt I would push it that high. I’m usually around 65 watts. It has two 18650 3.7 volt 3000 mah 30q 15 amp batteries connected in series. The maximum the mod itself can go to is 200 but there’s no way with the batteries I have nor do I desire to go that high.

2 Likes

http://www.steam-engine.org/batt?b=Samsung_INR18650-30Q&mah=3000&c=5

Keep in mind As you use and drain your battery your amps/current load will increase.

1 Like

Even though it lists the amperage at 19 would it still be safe with my two 15 amp batteries since it’s pulse and not continuous fire?

2 Likes

My calculation below is based upon a (likely) assumption - that series connected batteries are driving a single “uni-polar” circuit (as opposed to two individual circuits - where each battery drives one circuit).

Let’s take your 65 Watts (of Load Power). The Mod’s Power consumption itself will likely minimal (as compared to the Resistive Loads). Divide the (6.0) Volts DC of two (near, or perhaps below, their usable Voltage range on your Mod) Samsung 30Q batteries into 65 Watts [the approximate Power consumption of the Mod with Resistive Coil(s)], and the result is ~10.83 Amperes Current. The maximum continuous discharge Current of the 30Q is rated (by Samsung) at 15 Amperes. More “margin” (existing under the maximum continuous discharge Current) would be something nice to have. What then are the options ?

Battery option of alternatively using Molicel P26As does not appear to help (or at 10 Amps, either):

30Q vs P26A:

Source Widget: Battery test-review 18650 comparator

Solution: Reduce (average) Mod Power used to be below 65 Watts (for more safety “margin”). That does not involve the particular (net, composite) Coil(s) Resistance - only the (Load + Mod) Power.

2 Likes

Good advice…

@Bigsmoke188
With a series Mod you will only keep 15amp it “will not” increase your capacity to 30amps

Making a higher resistance (Ohm) coils will give you more head room to play with and your battery will last longer. (you’ll be surprized how much you’lll gain) I make and use 0.40 - 0.50ohm coils myself

5 Likes

Okay FINALLY! It makes sense! So instead of listing it at 7.4 volts (because a battery will not say at full voltage for long and it’s safer to figure it at a more weakened state than at full capacity) you listed it as 6. So let’s say 70 watts just so I can repeat it back to you and check my work. 70w/6v= 11.66. Which is still lower than 15 amps which would be safe but the batteries wouldn’t last as ling, correct?

2 Likes

Okay instead of .2 I’ll do my first coil on .5 or .4. If I was to do a dual coil I’d make the coils at 1 ohm for the final resistance together to be .5 ohm? Although that’s 10 wraps with kanthal on each coil so that’s not a very good example lmao.

3 Likes

Around 10 wraps (with any kind of wire, particularly any as small as #26 SS 316L) is about the least that I like to use - for mechanical strength/stability when repeatedly stuffing and removing wicking materials.

Are you all set with the Steam Engine interface (and remember that the “Watts” number is arbitrary) ?

Set-up for Kanthal #22, 3mm inner diameter, 10mm total lead-length, 0.585 Ohms, 9 Wraps:

Note: Remember to design for (an integer number of) Wraps (if the leads exit in opposite directions). Otherwise, design for (half) Wraps (ie, 9.5) if the leads exit in the same direction when “building-up”.

3 Likes

Oh, so you use more than 10 wraps usually? It makes sense that the more wraps would increase the strength of the coil itself than it would with 3 wraps especially when pulling and rewicking. I don’t have an average area where most people wrap their coils at. I’ve seen people do it with 3 to 4 wraps and I’ve seen people do it with 7 to 9. But yes I think I’m okay with steam engine now. I’ll ignore the wattage listed.

3 Likes

Sounds like you got it. Just suggesting… if you have like 5 sets of batterys go for lower resistance. :rofl: I have 6 mods going during the day and I seem to always be charging them.

4 Likes

At 67 watts on .2 ohm coil I find myself switching batteries as soon as they are charged lmao. I might need to look into getting more batteries.

4 Likes

So if the leads point the same direction like goal posts it would be considered half wraps? When I go to throw these coils on an ohms meter I’m sure I will see the difference and can cross reference with the site. Now I just need a journal so I don’t forget any of this. :joy:

2 Likes

(In the “exiting coil in the same direction” case), it does involve a “fractional” (or “half”) number of wraps.

1 Like

Yes, you’re right. I’m sorry I repeat things back so much. I have severe ptsd and used to get the snot kicked out of me for wrong answers as a kid. It’s a hard habit to break. Thank you again for all your help. I feel like I have a good starting point.

3 Likes

No problem regarding the (voluntary) help offered, my friend. Better to ask questions and try to make clear their nature in the process. Ignorance is a part of our human condition. No foul there. Vape safe !

Knowledge is a recognition of something absent;
it is a salutation, not an embrace.
-George Santayana

4 Likes