Magnetic stirring for the unfamiliar

The overall test will be complete by this evening. Had it’s one minute of homogenization and its enjoying a bath in the ultra sonic. I’ll pop it in the Souse Vide before I leave for work and see if I get great juice or draino at the end of the day.

1 Like

Holy flavor VapeMan! I’ll be cuttin back on my percentages next batch. Woah, it’s all there all right…

1 Like

Really? Is it that good?

It’s that much of an improvement over the process I was using. I’m seriously amazed at the improvement. On the grand scale of goodness, I have no idea. Edit: oh ya, and it’s only a sampling of one. As soon as I vape up some more juices I’ll do it again for sure.

3 Likes

I noticed the same problem previously. Tried several different stir bars but still had the issue. Switched to beakers for even small batches.

Keep us posted!

You bet! While I’m very excited, folks need to understand that this is a huge improvement over what I have been doing to present. My last process was as follows:

Add ingredients.
Heat Souse Vide 30 minutes @ 40C (concept to lesson viscosity differential)
Homogenize 1 minute
Mag stir 1/2 hr (note, I had not realized it was not addressing the top 1/4 of the liquid at this point)
Ultra Sound 1/2 hour.

Previous to that:
Add ingredients
Mag stirr 1/2 hr
Ultra Sound 1/2 hr.

Each change has brought improvement. The latest process seeming to be by far the best.

1 Like

Could you get the same or near the same results without the homogenizer and USC? Perhaps a longer stir time with a controlled amount of heat?

1 Like

I like the USC if for no other reason to dissipate any suspended off gassing. The homogenizer appears to further the dispersion of liquid as after mag stirring I can still see some traces of different viscosity flowing in the mix. I may still try removing those two portions of the process at some point. At present I am more interested in trying the new process on multiple recipes.

2 Likes

Would it be be possible to insert the homogenizer probe into a beaker on the mag stirrer (size)?

2 Likes

I’m not sure I follow you on that. The probe is 10mm in diameter. It is best used in a test tube sized container but will work in any container with some movement. The exhaust port is about 5mm above the actual grinding/spinning head. It creates a very strong suction under the the head but not above it. In most applications none of this is a concern because off gassing is inconsequential. Here is a typical probe and you can see the head and the exhaust port:

F50288_wl

3 Likes

I meant while blending on the mag stirrer …homogenize simultaneously …no unmixed layer at the top. I’m guessing the “suction” could be disruptive to the stir bar, especially in small batches <120ml. Just Mad Scientist spitballing :smirk:

2 Likes

It’s a good thought and probably could be done. Now I have to think a little on this. I really like the concept. Use the mag stirrer to create a constant draw from top to bottom and the homogenizer to work it over as it passes bye. Might just be a winner!

3 Likes

Ok, gave homogenizing and mag stirring a first shot last night. It did disrupt the magnet which ceased to spin. Gotta think on this one some more. The off gassing under liquid was more intense but not approaching frothing. Not sure what this is a function of. Could be the ingredients as this was a different recipe. Could be timing. Just don’t know.

3 Likes

Mmmm maybe pulsing? Running the mag stirrer for a while, pulse the homogenizer, mag stirrer again for a while, pulse the homogenizer etc etc.
Obviously I don’t know shit, but just my thoughts, :smile::dash::dash::dash:

4 Likes

Was this with the mag stirrer in operation? Could the magnets be interfering with you homogenizing probe?
Another thought or question, what are you meaning exactly about “off gassing”? I am taking it to mean the tiny little bubbles created during the mixing process. That’s what I have interprited it to mean when researching homogenizers i believe. Just want to clarify for my own personal education!

1 Like

I enjoying this topic very much. It’s so much fun to see “ogre got a homogenizer, let’s make him our guinea pig” lol.

I don’t mean that in a offending way, it’s all great in and output, much appreciated. Just wanted to share the entertainment from this topic :wink:

3 Likes

Sounds as good as anything. Who knows. I’ll give it a shot.

3 Likes

You’re on it per off gassing. I think the interference with the magnets is the other way around. The probe suction is messing with the magnetic bond.

1 Like

Well thank you, I think. There really is a helping of that in here. A new toy and a head full of ideas. Got one vote of confidence today. Stopped by my favorite B&M and handed my friend behind the counter my mod. Didn’t say a word. Response was, “Wow! That’s a good vape! What is it!”. It was the cream based mix.

Anywho… I find this fun too. Glad to hear you are enjoying!

2 Likes

Guinea ogre, surely :slight_smile:
I believe a lot of the ‘been close to a lab but can’t sneak in one’ crowd is hoping to get some of their questions answered without having to spend a lot on equipment, as someone else seems to have it all already.

2 Likes