Memorial Day

Clearly you’ve never found yourself in a position where death is a real possibility, and that you put yourself in that position willingly, for a cause you believe in, and one you are so fervently in faith of that you realize this potential for sacrifice is worth your life. That the cause you serve transcends your own familial ties and extends to those you do not know, simply because they are fellow countrymen and women, and because you feel you are on the right side of history.

No, the fallen are heroes no matter how you try to paint it.

4 Likes

Just a reminder to those that lived in the draft age. Thank the military that have signed up voluntarily, so a draft is not in place. Just food for thought.

4 Likes

No , i’ve not been in that position, butI don’t doubt, for one second, there are people in the world who are willing to die for their beliefs, for their countrymen, and/or for their fellow human beings. We see examples of such people in the news all the time.

I’m sure that includes any number of servicemen and women .

All I tried to say was that not everybody who goes into in battle is a natural-born hero (as defined by yourself). I’ve listened to those who had various contrary feelings and even quoted some of them. And I do believe that their lives and their points-of-view are equally valid and worthy of respect.

And I don’t think that Remembrance Day, nor your American equivalent, should be only for heroes. I don’t think it’s even meant to be only for heroes, is it? It’s for all the soldiers who lost their lives, isn’t it? Yet people, all-too-often talk about these things as if it’s only for heroes. as if nobody but heroes got killed.

And then, i sort of imagine a bunch of 'average joe, shellshocked ghosts, listening in to the remembrance service, then shamefacedly slinking away, because they clearly don’t fit the bill. The language excludes them.

Now, i don’t know if my two uncles that i never got to know, (because they both died in WW2 , in their teens, many years before I was born) would be amonst the shamefaced ghosts , or the swelling-with-pride ghosts,.I guess one, at least, would be probably swelling with pride, because he was awarded a posthumous medal, but i don’t really care, I’m inclined to honour them both, in any case, if that’s OK by you? I don’t want to talk as if they both ardently, and willingly gave up their lives for the greater good, because,probably, by most accounts, it wasn’t that simple. And what about that cousin who sacrificed his sanity?( He was a biochemist, so they set him to work identifying the remains of the dead) Not anybody’s idea of a hero, i suppose, but I consider him worthy of remembering , too. ( I’m pretty sure I would sooner be dead)

I don’t want to start an argument, least of all on this thread. just trying to show a bit of solidarity with @maurienee and expand on other (less glorifying) point-of-view a bit.

would also like to add that Wilfred Owen (whom I quoted) actually was a war hero, by anybody’s definition. He was awaded the Military Cross for gallantry , and eventually died in action, after choosing to return to the Front. as Wikepedia says “Owen saw it as his duty to add his voice to that of Sassoon, that the horrific realities of the war might continue to be told”. So Owen , too, died for something he believed in…that is, the message that war is by no means glorious. He died to save the young men who might otherwise follow him into the trenches. So he doesn’t quite fit your description of a hero, but near enough to earn your respect, I hope?

I’m pretty sure there’s room for both points of view in this world, and in this thread, if we understand each other aright? Nobody’s disrespecting the war dead here. And nobody’s trying to say that the heroes of this world are not truly heroic, not even me.

Peace?

2 Likes

Okay, let’s all take a minute and just breathe. If you all want to take this to a private DM then please do so. We are losing the focus here. Remember, Peace!

2 Likes

No need. Like i said, i certainly didn’t intend to cause offense to anyone. but since it seems that i did, I thought some further explanation as to where I’m coming from might just mitigate that. And since it’s a public thread, and i’d guess @Sthrnmixer is speaking for a good few others there, it’s appropriate to do that publicly. IMO.

But hey! I’ve given that my best shot already, and will be all-too-glad to just duck out again now, I’ve no personal bitch with SM, nor anyone

. And im sorry i made the first place, FWIW. Didn’t guess it would prove so contentious.

3 Likes

Without differences of opinion this world would dull AF. I welcome contrasting views and at no point have felt the thread needing moderation. Love to all my ELR bros and sissies.

6 Likes

It’s important to remember the true meaning of Memorial Day and to honor and appreciate the sacrifices made by our brave men and women in uniform who have served and continue to serve our country. It’s important to take a moment to reflect on the freedoms and rights we enjoy and to recognize the sacrifices made by those who have given their lives to protect them.

1 Like