Mixing with Hotplate Magnetic Stirrer

I was just kidding :wink: I bet I have outbid someone from here before. I buy a lot of stuff off eBay.

I did that too. I have pills from 1/2" up to 1-1/2". I need to get some really small ones to fit into my HDPE bottles.

Got my stirrer in the mail yesterday and tried to mix a batch (strawberry-ripe and vanilla bean ice cream) last night in a 600ml beaker. I guess I need to get a thermometer and perhaps a larger stir bar (stirrer came with a one inch bar). I had it spinning and heating for about 40 minutes before turning it off. Having no thermometer I had no idea how hot the liquid actually got, but it was pretty hot and had a nice vortex. I bottled an 8 oz mason jar and had about 45ml left over which I put in 30 ml plastic bottles to vape on. The flavor isn’t as pronounced as I hoped it would be, perhaps it will improve over the next couple days or so as it sits.

1 Like

Grats. Walmart sells a thermometer with a probe on it that is perfect for like $14.

Hi LordVapor! Its been over a year now since you received the Corning 220 so I am curious if it is still working well for you. I would also like to know if you would choose differently knowing what you know now. And maybe a brief summery of what you have learned in the time you have been using it! Thanks!

It still works like a dream. Corning makes very nice stuff. I expect this to outlive me. And I would buy it again even if it doesn’t. I don’t mix anything unless I can make enough to put on the stirrer. I like watching my juice spin while listening to this…

Pros:

• It’s a Corning… duh
  • It will melt lead, candles, and anything else you lay on the hot plate.
  • Versatile - Use as a room heater, cooking surface, etc. Or just pile a bunch of magnets on top and let it spin for a cool conversation piece.
  • The knobs fit between my thumb and index finger very well

Cons:

• If you get drunk and set your beer on the plate while it’s still hot it causes you to waste beer.
  • It’s gray, and I like red better
  • It won’t do other things I ask it to like take out the garbage or do the dishes.
  • I tried to insult it by telling it to go sit and spin and it simply said “OK”. Pffft!

:smiley:

But really, I love it. It could stand to have a tad stronger magnet so I could spin it a little faster. But even if the batch is too large to get a good vortex going it still mixes very well given the 2-4 hours I leave it on the stirrer.

I have come to the conclusion that 4 hours at 120 degrees isn’t harming the nicotine, at least enough that I can tell. I can still get the same head rush if I chain vape heated or non heated juice. And I know 4 hours on my stirrer makes my juice better after testing it numerous times. To each his own of course.

I saw a site that tested nicotine stored under various conditions. They sat a bottle in a window sill in the blazing sunlight for days/weeks/etc and other places like underwear drawers or something and they reported the nicotine degradation wasn’t enough to even worry about. But the nic stored in the underwear drawer smelled funny.

6 Likes

:laughing: awesome

1 Like

I am familiar with that nic study! After all I donated the underwear drawer:)
Those Ratts were never suppose to release that! I notice you have been around 120ish degrees since your 1st posts. Is this by design? One of the things I like about this unit is its advertised ability to range from 77f to red hot metal! Most that would be affordable do not have minimums that low so is 120ish the lowest you have been able to achieve? I am torn right now between heated or just a good mixer based on some great info out there from Ozo.

It is usually between 2.5 to 3.0 on the heat dial depending on how big the batch I am mixing is and how fast it is stirring. 125 degrees or so was suggested as the max by a couple other mixers on here. I have tried no heat and everything from 80 to 125 degrees. I do have some juice I do not heat. If you have concerns you can contact the flavor manufacturer and ask them if the flavor can be heated without losing too much flavor.

I don’t know if it does or not. But when you stick to a norm with one thing, and adjust the other variables to achieve what you like it all works out in the end. Heat is the one thing I have played with a lot with mixes that I have made multiple times. Because it was the one thing I knew the least about. So I experimented. I have found that 120 is my sweet spot. Yours may be no heat, or somewhere in between. Start a mix. When it hits various temps pull off a 10ml bottle and label it with the degrees it was at.

When the juice darkens as shown above I pull it and it goes immediately into a bottle except for a few ml that I vape to test. I want that color to start before I bottle it. Why? I don’t know. But every one of my favorite juices were amber when I bottled them. The only juices I have made that I don’t like are clear or almost clear. And most that have been clear, I didn’t really care for. The recipes that I heat taste richer to me. Until something happens to change that, I am sticking to what I am doing. Everyone will tell you something different. This is my different. Ozo has his. And Ken-O-Where has his. Because none of us are chemists I am guessing. We are basing this on our results. There is a lot of guessing, speculation, and just plain bullshit in this hobby of ours. We are the pioneers. Go explore. It’s a lot of fun.

Other things to consider…
The more you mix the easier it will be to know what your flavors are going to do. If you look back through my recipes I kind of picked a flavor and played with it in different recipes. I don’t have to guess what FLV Rich Cinnamon is going to do in a mix. Or TFA Peanut Butter. And a few other flavors that I consider to be the keys in my flavor profile. Because I tried them in various mixes. All of the other flavors I use as accents. As long as my key flavors do what I want them to do, trial and error with the accent flavors means I probably won’t ruin any juice.

An example of this is my Drunken Custard wasn’t tested. I put the recipe together and made 1000ml of it. I didn’t know it was going to be as good as it is. But I knew it wasn’t going to be bad because of all that chit I just wrote ^^^. Patience and experience is really the only way to get where you want to be :wink:

Thank you kind sir for your response that was really helpful! One more thing, You said your magnet could be a little stronger on you larger batches, how large are those batches?

I have mixed 500ml I think on it. May have been more. It doesn’t stir well until the juice gets heated. Once it reaches 100 degrees or so it stirs. It won’t create a vortex much over 250ml. But it depends on the stir bar, the container size/shape, and the viscosity. But up to about 250ml it does fine. You have to start out slow on the stirring even with smaller batches. But we are stirring thick liquid, and this model wasn’t designed to stir much over 200-300ml I bet. But it will do it.

For example - at 200ml in an Erlenmeyer flask I will get it stirring and turn the heat to 3. I slowly turn the RPM’s up. For the first 5 minutes or so going much over 6 kicks the spin bar loose. Once it gets up to 80 degrees or so I usually get it up to 7. Once it is at 120 it iis chugging along at 8-9 on the dial. I wouldn’t go to 10 if I could. It would probably introduce air bubbles into the mix which I don’t want.

If you want more power this one can handle larger mixes
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CORNING-PC-320-HOT-PLATE-MAGNETIC-STIRRER-USED-GREAT-WORKING-CONDITION-/232208429966?hash=item3610b3738e:g:3X8AAOSwA3dYfS63

Or this one
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Laboratory-Stirrer-Hot-Plate-Corning-PC-420-/262839010580?hash=item3d326d0514:g:g-UAAOSw44BYl3zE

1 Like

Can anyone give any input on just a mag mixer without heat? As in is it any more benificial than just mixing it how ever we do already. I see there is TONS of diy mag mixer vids and can be made really cheap.

Getting your mix stirred well to me is pretty important. Especially with nicotine. If you mixed a recipe and all the nic went into one bottle that could be pretty bad. If you stir a large batch with a light source you will see just how much mixing is required before everything is blended well. There will be stripes of various flavor in the juice. You can also see the PG/VG/nic separation until it is thoroughly mixed. On 250ml or more, it takes a few minutes before you start seeing the separations disappear. I don’t sell much juice any more with the new laws here. So all my large batches go into an 8-32oz amber glass bottle. So it’s not as important that I stir it for hours. But I do anyway because I like what the heat does over a few hours.

1 Like

I highly recommend getting one with heat so you can just give it a little heat when you first start to mix it - high vg mixes take a lot longer to get a vortex going if the temp is below 40 c (mind you I have one of each) and you can always put thick mixes in a warm water bath to bring the temp up a little.

3 Likes

Hi. Is that 120f or Celsius
Cheers

Fahrenheit.

1 Like

I got a bag of 7 octagon pills from Amazon ranging from 5mm to 35mm in length. I really think you could mix right down to 30ml bottles or even smaller with the smaller ones.

I actually do. The standard round pills work best because of the convex surface in the bottom of the bottles. But the hex ones work after turning the stirrer on and tweaking the bottle position. They seem to want to wobble around a bit at first though.

Oh ya, they can wobble especially if you put down the peddle so to speak. They definitely get things stirred up.

Sweet will hafta wire a dimmer switch into my hotplate as its currently just on/off.
Id like to be able to get a constant temperature. .

Single stirrers are nice but so are the Cadillac of mixers!

2 Likes