N.E.T Creations and Reviews (Naturally Extracted Tobaccos or Teas)

Regarding winterization of macerations:

This process (winterization) of allowing precipitation of “gunk” in you extract is primarily for Ethanol macerations. It doesn’t happen with PG or VG extractions; the precipitation pretty much stays suspended in the solvent; but we hope a lot of it gets filtered out when using finer filter medium.

I think your process of very little heat and long cool maceration did the trick for lots of flavor but little fallout. The best couple of NETs I have made were produced with almost no heat and long cool steeps. :kissing_heart::dash:

3 Likes

From all I have read, the Nightcap is supposed to be a very Latakia forward Blend; so much so, many people use it as a condiment tobacco with other blends.

So, with that small amount of information and knowing how my Bengal Slices turned out, you might want to go with your low (or no) heat, long steep method on your Nightcap. Even if it turns out too Latakia heavy for you, it’s just like any other concentrate, you can always use it with other tobaccos at a low percentage.

I just experimented with that myself with a 50/50 blend of Perique and Bengal; it turned out quite nice. :grin:

2 Likes

That must be it then, it is very clean, it just requires patience for the flavour to develop but it is definitely worth it.[quote=“Kinnikinnick, post:252, topic:28032”]
you might want to go with your low (or no) heat, long steep method on your Nightcap.
[/quote]I’m using this method on all the N.E.T’s I’ve have steeping now. I have tried the heat extraction and the PGA and I like the cold steep N.E.T the best. Might be different for different people but I find this produces a very rich flavour and personally I prefer it over the other methods

That’s the idea, the lower the percentage the more cost effective it is to produce your own :joy:

1 Like

Three more for the cool steep closet.

C&D ~ Bayou Morning
Perique
Virginia
(Non-Aromatic)

H&H ~ Virginia Spice
Cigar Leaf
Perique
Virginia
(Non-Aromatic)

Sutliff ~ Sunset Rum
Burley
Cavendish
Virginia
(Aromatic)

All three, PG macerations, heated +/- 140 degrees for 8 hrs.

Looking forward to Thanksgiving and few days off to get these filtered. :grin:

Side note:

Anyone looking for a nice tobacco to use for their first NET experience, I would suggest the Peter Stokkebye Optimum 31 (described earlier in this thread). After a month of steep time in a final 15% stand alone mix, it has really developed into a super pleasurable tobacco vape; no pokie edges, just a nice, smooth, lightly fruited, subtle vanilla backnoted tobacco flavor. :wink:

3 Likes

@Kinnikinnick First N.E.T ready tomorrow … Let the filtering begin :+1:

2 Likes

Yay you! :grinning:

Just to put a bug in your ear… Don’t discard the cigar tobacco used for the extraction right away; put it in a jar and hold on to it until you do your taste testing. Should the extract come out rather weak, you can add everything back to the tobacco and let it sit for a month or so more. Sometimes cigar tobacco extraction take a while longer than other types of tobaccos. :grimacing:

My Rocky Patel Nording extraction is good, but, I think it could have benefited from another month in the closet. Alas, I tossed my tobacco before I came to that realization. I’m needing 25 to 30% in the mix for a satisfactory cigar vape. :pensive:

Next cigar I do will be a PGA, room temp for 3 months in a cool dark closet maceration. I know that will work…it just takes so much damn time! :rage:

2 Likes

Tomorrow is a “Groovy Blue” day for @Rob62…let the filtering begin.

Oh, I guess you already said that…

2 Likes

That is excellent advice Thank You … Maybe :thinking: I’ll just let it sit a while longer. I do have 3 more pipe tobacco’s ready in a week :yum:

2 Likes

The crockpot warms three:
C&D ~ Old Joe Krantz, Orion’s Arrow & Red Virginia Ribbon, while doing a bit of filtering.

Filtered Peter Stokkebye 84 Turkish

Find myself leaning more towards the Va/Per blends these days, however, the exotic flavor of the Samsoun leaf in the Peter Stokkebye 84 Turkish filtered today is a nice bright complex departure from the norm.

Red Virginia Ribbon:
Virginia
(Non-Aromatic)

Old Joe Krantz:
Burley
Perique
Virginia
(Non-Aromatic)

Orion’s Arrow:
Perique
Turkish
Virginia
(Non-Aromatic)

3 Likes

Filtering this today

2 Likes

I have to say, after working with a couple of aromatics now, the top dressing and casings on an aromatic are kind of a welcomed and enjoyable addition to the tobacco flavor. Best part is, the notes come with the tobacco, so you don’t have to buy a flavor and figure out the percentage to add. :wink:…take it as it comes, so to speak.

2 Likes

[Eileen’s Dream starts with top-quality tobaccos- specially selected Virginias and slowly steamed black Cavendish. The flavor profile is completed by the introduction of two sweet and smooth treats- the taste of Irish cream liqueur and white chocolate truffles.

Yeah this one smells GOOD … I should be vaping this tomorrow :+1:

4 Likes

Omg. With explanations like that I may have to start making my own. Uggg.

3 Likes

Dare say, you won’t be sorry. :wink:

2 Likes

Check out all the CAO pipe tobaccos

http://www.pipesandcigars.com/search/?q=cao+pipe+tobacco

OMG is right I filtered the Eileen’s Dream down to 1.5 microns and mixed it at 10% it’s unbelievable. Good tobacco flavor with a nice sweetness to it. You can pick out the Irish cream and the chocolate notes in it … A Must try for anyone thinking about making a N.E.T

And @Kinnikinnick My Hat’s off to you Sir

3 Likes

Congrats on your successful NET! Feels good, right?..and tastes even better. :grinning: I love a good Virginia blend; that natural sweetness is tasty!

I’m looking into gathering a couple more aromatic tobaccos myself; keeping my eyes peeled for sales.

1 Like

As promised, I’m reporting back and I took pictures! :grinning:

I started with three tea bags in 30 mils of PG. In spite of my earlier questions I decided to use the loose tea for this first try. They each weighed a little different but together they were about 7.5 grams.

I steeped this for an hour directly in the mason jar in hot rice, stirring every 10-15 minutes and reheating the rice.

After about an hour of this I sealed it up and left it in a dark bag in a dark cabinet and marked my calendar. (KK I think we have the same mason jars!) I got in my TARDIS and jumped forward to last night when I was able to take it out.

It’s almost black. The first filtering was mainly for the solids. You can see from the pic how I configured the coffee filter but you may not be able to tell that I also pre-moistened the filter with a bit of PG. A few extra drops of PG in the extraction won’t hurt but I didn’t want the filter suck up my precious elixir!

This took four hours, yes FOUR HOURS! The extraction is very thick now, almost like VG. I left this in a safe place, covered with inner lid of the jar and checked it before I went to bed. It was now time for the final filtering. This time I cut the filter to fit my funnel and again moistened it with a little PG.

As you can see it looks like some kind of arcane ritual I’m performing. HAPPY HALLOWEEN! This filtering took another hour because proper sorcery cannot be rushed. (Unless you have a TARDIS….)

In the end I’ve got about 18-20 mils I think.

This is the recipe I used for my first taste test.

Vape Jucie ~ 10% Elixir .5% Pyure

Cuppah ~ 1 tea bag in 6 oz boiling water steeped for 4 min. 7 drops of Pyure.

I’m vaping it now on a clean coil at 30w. It’s not terrible but I know that increasing the % will not help. It’s like if you had unsweetened kool aid in your bong and the herb was weak. (Not that I have firsthand knowledge of any such thing.) :innocent:

Overall, I’m a little disappointed in the single flavor experience but I’m sure this will make a really nice layer in tea vapes and add an earthy note to fruit based bakery. I’ll let it steep, maybe try it with some marshmallow or yogurt or both.

Thank you so much for this topic, for all your information and all your encouragement!

7 Likes

Reporting back on a PG extraction; warmed 8 hours @ +/- 140 degrees, with a month cool closet steep:

Picayune ~ Daughters & Ryan

Burley
Oriental
Perique
Virginia
(Non-Aromatic)

Vendor Notes:
A full bodied blend of exceptional dark air-cured and the finest flue-cured Gold Leaf tobaccos. Combined with a rare and flavorful Perique and Samsoun Oriental tobacco.

My Notes:
Enjoyably stout! It will be the NET bottle I reach for when wanting to stroll down memory lane in search for that analogue kick. My mix is a 50pg/50vg with 15% extract.

When slowly vaping this on a dripper (1.4ohm single coil at 12 watts), I can taste just about every leaf in the blend. The Perique rises to the top of the list though; for me, is the most pleasing thing about this tobacco. At first, the Burley and Samsoun kinda take you off guard. But the more you vape this mix, the sweetness of the Virginia and the dark fruity funk of the Perique start to peek though and make this an extremely enjoyable vape.

I’ve vaped about 20ml of this mix so far and have to say, cellaring some Picayune and probably a couple of other D&R blends (yet to be discovered) is on my short list.

3 Likes

Cornell & Diehl Izmir Turkish
https://m.smokingpipes.com/tobacco/by-maker/cornell-diehl/bulk/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=79412

Turkish
Oriental
(Non-Aromatic)

Vendor Notes:
A spice blend known for its nutty, “sweet and sour” characteristics, Turkish/Oriental tobaccos are commonly mixed with Latakia (which helps mask the Oriental’s own strong aroma), and are the main component of a traditional English blend. While most Orientals out there are generic admixtures of various regional tobaccos from around the Mediterranean, C&D’s is pure Izmir.

My Notes:
Just WoW! I could end it there, but I shouldn’t. Just wrapped up a filter of this and it has rather blown me away. I usually do a quick 5 ml test batch off a fresh filtered tobacco and wait for a 30 ml mix to mature for a couple of weeks before vaping any more of it. Not this time. I haven’t put the Izmir down since I mixed a batch (15% extract in a 50P/50V base).

This is my first NET for a straight Izmir Turkish; PG heated maceration. After I read many reviews of this tobacco, I can understand why many people describe it as exotic, buttery, spicy, musty, earthy, sour, woody (#2 pencil) and a host of other descriptive terms. It just is, all those things, in one tobacco.

Before I started hard in on the NET, my last run on the synthetic concentrates was Turkish. I preferred the SC Turkish from Bull City Flavors mixed with a small amount of Nicotiana Rustica over any other mix I had made to date. I can now retire the synthetic SC Turkish, 'cause I’ve found the real deal. I can vape this straight all day long, but see myself dabbling with VA/Per/Lata and the Izmir very soon.

If only to understand why so many people love the Izmir, one should try at least one small NET batch or get some from a NET buddy and give it a try; it will definitely brighten up your vaping day.

2 Likes