N.E.T Creations and Reviews (Naturally Extracted Tobaccos or Teas)

Excellent advice thanks - i may try an alcohol extract after reading up a heap more - cheers

3 Likes
4 Likes

Personally Iā€™m not a fan of the alcohol extract, but thatā€™s just me so donā€™t let it bother you. I just donā€™t enjoy the taste of it as much as I do with PG . I just use PG now and do cold extracts. I leave my pipe tobaccoā€™s steeping for around 6 months but with cigars Iā€™ve found they could do with a still longer steep, so Iā€™m aiming for a 9 month period. I draw out a syringe of liquid every now and then when it is steeping to make some liquid as a testbatch and then decide if itā€™s done or could benefit from some more steep time. That stops me from filtering too early and also gives me some juice while Iā€™m waiting for the finished product. :wink:

2 Likes

Nice condensed findā€¦ :grinning:

Iā€™ve read Farslinos findings a while back, but it was a slog! Bullet point findings are awesome! :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Yeah, I do tend to get bored with those too :weary:

2 Likes

ā€¦was going to start a new thread on cellaring tobacco for the future of your NET pleasure, but I figured, mehā€¦

As things are starting to get dicey for future tobacco purchases, I figured I would cellar a few tins of the good stuffā€¦ starting now! :wink:

Now, if I can just keep my hands off of them for a few years! :rofl:

ā€¦ fortunately, smokingpipes.com has a 10% discount going on right nowā€¦ for those of you who are located in the U.S.

Stock up before your favorite choice of Dunhill is no more! :scream:

Andā€¦ if youā€™re a lover of Syrian Latakiaā€¦ well, with conditions in their current state, itā€™s going to be tougher and tougher to get your hands on that product.

3 Likes

:laughing: exactly, the ones I just bought will not, cause I never had them before so Iā€™ll have to try them and decide if they are worth stocking up on but I will make more purchases before D-day.
Iā€™m vaping the NightCap now even though it is morning :grin: Made a testbatch after a 6 month cold steep and the stuff is not only very good but also very strong. I could easily mix this at 5% and have an excellent flavour. Same goes for the others that Iā€™ve tested. 6 months is a long wait, but I will use less concentrate and the coil gunking will be less too. So in the end itā€™s a win win. :yum:

1 Like

Welpā€¦ I just scored a $10 rice cooker at the Salvation Army thrift storeā€¦ love that place! :wink:

At least now my wife wonā€™t be bummed 'cause Iā€™m hogging the crockpot all the time for my heat assisted macerations. :grin:

The rice cooker holds a low temp of +/- 120 degreesā€¦ perfect for starting my batches.

1 Like

My new babies just born:

4 Likes

Awesome looking juice! :smiley:

So, can you expound a bit on the Boswellā€™s Pipes, if you donā€™t mind. :sunglasses:

1 Like

It is a local pipe shop in Chambersburg, PA. I went in there and got some pipe tobacco and let it sit for 5 months. I always shop local when I can.

They have a ton of cigars and pipe blends.

1 Like

:wink: ā€¦few more for the cellar:

ā€¦except the War Horse Green; that one is going in a jar as soon as it hits the doorstep. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Somewhere in this house is an unopened tin of McClellandā€™s Christmas Cheer from the year 2000. Sucks I canā€™t locate it, but Iā€™ve always been bad at hiding tobaccos from myself that I want to age. So 16 years old plus at this point - Iā€™d say itā€™s ripened by now :slight_smile: If only I knew where it is.

5 Likes

Well, if you find it, Iā€™m sure you can fetch a nice chunk of change for it on a pipe forum. That stuff sells out pretty quick when itā€™s on the marketā€¦

Too bad you didnā€™t cellar a few pounds of Esoterica Penzanceā€¦ people will kill for that tobacco. :flushed:

2 Likes

Yeahā€¦ itā€™s been a little too quiet on this thread. :smirk:Iā€™ll see what I can do about that, now that the summer doldrums are in full effect where I work. So, for startersā€¦ pretty pictures, with some explaination of whatā€™s in the jars and press. :grinning:

Tobaccos used:

Samuel Gawith ~ 1792 Flake

Dark Fired Kentucky
Virginia
(Non-Aromatic)

Samuel Gawith 1792 Flake is a legendary, full-bodied mixture of deeply matured Virginia and dark-fired tobaccos which are pressed into a cake with is further matured under pressure and steamed until dark. The cakes are sliced and finished with a tonquin dressing for the characteristic flavor.

G.L. Pease ~ Stonehenge Flake

Burley
Perique
Virginia
(Non-Aromatic)

Stonehenge Flake is a wonderful traditional flake comprised of bright flue-cured and sun-cured leaf from Brazil, Zimbabwe and Malawi, with just a touch of Malawi Burley added for a bit of body, and a slightly fuller flavor. Then, we added a hint of genuine St. James Parish Perique, for its special piquant contribution. Once blended, the leaf was steamed, hot-pressed into blocks, and aged, to allow the flavors to meld and marry.

:sunglasses:

The Stonehenge is a re-release of GL Peaseā€™s original 2001 bombshell of a pipe tobacco, from what Iā€™ve read in many tobacco reviews and forums. This will be a NET to be savored!

The Sam Gawith 1792 will be quite the heavy hitter NET, as dark fired tobaccos are characteristicly stout. The tonquin top coat will be the kickerā€¦ unlike any flavor I have experienced to dateā€¦ quite enjoyable! The Gawith/Hoggarth Black Irish X led me down the tonquin trail the first go round; canā€™t wait to experience it in a dark fired version.

These macerations are PG versions, having a warm start (+/-125 degrees for 8 hours) in my $10 rice cooker. :grinning: Then, the maceration will be topped with a bit of PGA to aid in releasing some of the other flavors in the tobacco, which the PG canā€™t accomplish by itself. The macerations will then sleep/steep for a few months in a cool dark closet while the magic takes place!

5 Likes

Dang it! :roll_eyes: Forgot about the press!

Peter Stokkebye ~ 24 Nougat

Black Cavendish
Burley
Cavendish
Virginia
(Aromatic)

Peter Stokkebye No. 24 Nougat is a classic Danish-style aromatic made of bright Virginias, white Burley and sweet black Cavendish. What makes it so unique is the combination of vanilla and chocolate flavors that give it a great room note and a subtly sweet taste.

This is one specifically made for my wife! :kissing_heart: She is trying to wean herself off store bought flavors and head towards the 100% NET realm. Iā€™m more than happy to help her move into the self sufficient world of DIY mixing.

4 Likes

I managed to get my hands on some Peter Stokkebye, they didnā€™t sell it here but they got some 4th generation specials out now :joy:

Light and slightly aromatic, the 1957 blend showcases natural Virginia
sweetness and a creamy vanilla/toffee room note.

This slow burning mixture of golden Virginias, sweet and soft mild black
Cavendish, light Burleys is our celebration of our familyā€™s 100-year
anniversary in the tobacco business. Finished with a French nougat and
almond nut top dressing.
:yum:

3 Likes

Iā€™m doing a test tank of Jimā€™s Red Virginia Ribbon NET, at the moment. Very good on itā€™s own. I can also see it as a primary tobacco flavor, in a blend, with some complimentary flavors mixed with it. :+1:

I just finished a tank of the Flavora NET prototype with a dash of INW 555 Gold mixed in. What an awesome combo. The Tank Mixer strikes again!

3 Likes

Iā€™ve recently found some pretty good combos that way! :sunglasses:

On the other hand, sometimes I go about it another wayā€¦ D&R Ryback Regular turned out to be quite the one dimensional NET vape experience; good, mind you, but just needed something to give it a life. I broke out the beaker, mixed the Ryback (30ml) with a combo of partially vaped bottles of PS Optimum 31 (15ml) and Standard Bengal Slices (10ml) and BAM! That was the golden ticket to a wonderful ADV. :wink:

1 Like

Well, those sounds and look De-lish! All except for the not so yummy photos on the tins! :scream: Whoā€™s idea was it to put gross pictures on tobacco packaging? :thinking: ā€¦the ā€œNo Fun Ever!ā€ folks. :rage: Harrumph!

Thatā€™s OKā€¦ we know the tastiness that resides inside that tinā€¦ sans combustion. :wink:

1 Like