New CASAA CALL TO ACTION. Stand up for Harm Reduction through Vaping!

FDA Call to Action: Submit comments on FDA’s “workshop” regarding e-cigarettes.

In December 2014, the FDA held the first of a series of “workshops” in which
“experts” are invited to inform them about the physical characteristics of
e-cigarettes. It should be no surprise that the people who were granted time to
speak were largely non-experts and that consumer representatives were closed out
of this meeting. This is your opportunity to help remedy that.
If you watched the workshop, you know what we are talking about. If you did not,
all you need to know is that FDA sought the opinion of people who presented
information at about the level you might see in a magazine article on e-cigarettes.

Please note that the comments we are asking you to submit are for the first workshop
(December 10 and 11, 2014). The second FDA workshop last week was much the same.
The speakers were somewhat more expert, but still could have learned a lot from
a consumer representative, and yet our application to include CASAA experts on
the program was refused. We will have an opportunity to comment on that meeting
later.

FDA claims that these workshops have nothing to do with their decision about whether
and how to impose the “deeming” regulations and are only to inform the eventual
regulation, but this is ridiculous. Whatever information flows now will
obviously affect both.

The good news is that consumers and other experts on e-cigarettes have an opportunity
to comment on this matter.

We know that the vaping community – which includes everyone from small
manufacturers, to DIY modders, to consumers who make themselves expert on the
hardware or liquid – has more collective expertise than FDA and their supposed
“experts.” We need to collect examples.

1st

Please try to recall your favorite writings on the relevant topics from: threads
on ECF or other forums; informative blog posts by consumers, consumer advocates,
or vendors; how-to videos; etc. Keep in mind that the topic at hand is characteristics
of e-cigarette hardware and liquid, including variations, modding options, etc.

This includes:

product engineering (how the devices work, new innovations, how to optimize them, etc.),
physics,
chemistry,
the toxicological (effect of chemicals on health) implications of those.

There are tens of thousands of great threads and posts out in the world that cover
these topics, providing consumers with useful information about the products.
**Please make sure that the material is high-quality. (A few bad posts on a
forum thread are inevitable, of course, but keep in mind that you are
demonstrating that we are more expert than their “experts.”)
Also, please do not include material that is primarily about smoking cessation
or other behavioral issues; this is specifically about physical characteristics
of the devices, liquids, and vapor.

2nd

Collect a list of these – at least one or two of them – and ten or a hundred if
you want – and make them part of a comment (talking points provided below).

**Please note: It is far better to create a PDF of the material you are referencing and
upload as additional files or append it to your comment; if you just send a
link, they will probably ignore it, but if you send the content, they are
required by law to take the time to read it.

3rd

Submit your comment here.
The Deadline is April 15, 2015.

Required and Suggested Talking points -

(Required)
Include the following information at the very top of your
comment:

I am commenting on Electronic Cigarettes and the Public Health; Public Workshop;
79 FR 55815, September 17, 2014, Docket No.
FDA-2014-N-0001

Describe yourself a bit:

Mention
if you are an e-cigarette user and how long you have been using e-cigarettes. Go
ahead and mention how long ago e-cigarettes allowed you to quit smoking if that
describes you. (It is not relevant to this docket, as noted, but it does not
hurt to remind them.)

If you are a CASAA member, please mention that to remind them that there is an
organized consumer voice they should be listening to. (If you are not, please go
HERE and join. It is free and important.)

The material presented at this workshop would have benefited greatly from consumer
input.

I am commenting to call attention to some of the enormous body of knowledge and
expertise that exists in the consumer community.

Thank You.

Sample Letter -

To: U.S. Food and Drug Administration
Re: Electronic
Cigarettes and the Public Health; Public Workshop; 79 FR 55815, September 17,
2014, Docket No. FDA-2014-N-0001
Date:

I am a consumer, writing on my own behalf. .
I am writing to comment on “Electronic Cigarettes and the Public Health; Public Workshop; 79 FR 55815, September 17,
2014, Docket No. FDA-2014-N-0001.”
This docket follows up on a workshop you held in December 2014 that was
intended to hear expert presentation about physical and performance
characteristics and variations of e-cigarettes and their
toxicological and other implications.

It was apparent from the material presented at that workshop that the event could
have greatly benefited from expertise that exists in the consumer community. Many e-cigarette consumers, like myself, watched the workshop presentations. The simpli stic assessments
coming from many (if not most) of these hand-picked “experts” were so inexpert and so
clearly politically motivated that it was actually insulting.

I am commenting to call attention to some of the enormous body of knowledge and
expertise that exists in the consumer community. Please consider the following
material that came from consumers and/or small producers who are close to the
consumer community:

1. http:…
  2. http:…
  3. http:…
  4. http:…
  5. http:…
  6. http:…
  7. http:…

For convenience, I have provided copies of the content from these links as part of this
comment.

Once you review this material and similar material from other consumers, it should be
apparent that FDA’s level of expertise, and that of its supposed experts, is inadequate.
FDA should be reading what is already known in the world, not tryi! ng to reinvent the
wheel. FDA should get itself up to speed on this material, which already exists, before
it presumes to judge who is even expert enough to comment, let alone before it bans
99.99% of the products on the market, as it is currently proposing.

Thank
you for considering my comments.

Watch this Video To See How It Should Be Done, CLICK

6 Likes

We have to start taking ACTION if we want to continue to be able to purchase our vaping products.
Imagine if they regulate so much that we will not be able to purchase nicotine liquid at all, won’t be able
to vape in public, in parks even, or (god forbid) in our own cars! If some of these folk get their way,
ALL vaping products will be treated just as tobacco is. It’s happening NOW in some states.

Get involved, even if it’s just to write ONE note.

1 Like

I’m planning on doing my part for this call to action. However, all states love the money that taxes bring to the coffers. Washington State alone (quoting from an article I recently saw): “The expected tax income from Washington’s proposed law stands to be more than $96 million over the next four years.”

Holy Taxation Batman!!!

Full article:
http://thinkprogress.org/health/2015/03/19/3636142/washington-state-e-cig/

2 Likes

Done and Done!

Your comment was submitted successfully!
The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Notice: Electronic Cigarettes and the Public Health; Public Workshop For related information, Open Docket Folder

Your Comment Tracking Number: 1jz-8hzu-w8md

Your comment may be viewable on Regulations.gov once the agency has reviewed it. This process is dependent on agency public submission policies/procedures and processing times. Use your tracking number to find out the status of your comment.

Your email receipt was sent successfully!

1 Like

Heads up Oregon! and Arkansas! Casaa Call to Action!

http://blog.casaa.org/2015/03/oregon-call-to-action-urgent-take.html

http://blog.casaa.org/2015/03/arkansas-call-to-action-urgent-oppose.html

1 Like

Just giving CASAA a bump to the top here for all the new forum folks! If you have not joined CASAA, please consider joining. Look for the CALLS TO ACTION listed on that page! Every voice needs to be heard. If you don’t speak out for harm reduction through vaping, your representatives will go along with who is speaking the loudest at the time of the vote. Your representative represent you too, tell them what you want!

2 Likes

You now have another chance to submit comments and be heard. All comments will have to be submitted by July 15, 2015. Lot of time, yet so little time. Stand up for your rights guys and gals. They only listen to those who BITCH the most, so gosh dang it, get to BITCHING. Here’s the link…

Casaa Newest CALL TO ACTION due by July 15, 2015

Read this page carefully, this call to action subject matter needs to deal with the current call to action so please follow the instruction. I can’t stress how important it is for us to speak up. I personally don’t want to buy my equipment, ejuice, and nicotine from my local drug dealer, do you?

2 Likes

Just got this email today. Please check the AVA website for a lot more info http://vaping.info/ Sorry for the long read.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
6/19/2015 at 8:30 am EST

Congress Moves to Protect the Vapor Industry From the FDA’s Deeming Ban

Spending bill would not stop regulations, but would stop unprecedented product bans

WASHINGTON, D.C. - Today, the American Vaping Association, a leading advocate for the benefits of vapor products such as electronic cigarettes, praised the House Appropriations Subcommittee on Agriculture, Rural Development, Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and Related Agencies for its approval of a spending bill that would prevent the FDA from regulating the vast majority of vapor products out of existence.

If enacted, the bill would make clear that the FDA Center for Tobacco products cannot require vapor products already on the market to go through a lengthy and potentially multimillion dollar Premarket Tobacco Review application process. This bill would not impact the FDA’s ability to regulate these products, including setting rigorous product and manufacturing standards.

Since the FDA regulation was proposed last April, industry and public health advocates have warned that the FDA’s insistence on retroactively applying the Premarket Tobacco Review requirements to already existing products would lead to over 99% of vapor products being banned. This would happen for no reason other than the inability of nearly all product manufacturers – other than those associated with large tobacco companies – to bear the associated costs.

In November, House leadership signaled that Congress could act on this issue if the FDA failed to do so. Speaker Rep. John Boehner, Majority Leader Rep. Kevin McCarthy, and House Energy & Commerce Committee Chairman Rep. Fred Upton sent a joint letter to the Secretary of Health & Human Services requesting that this change be implemented in the regulation.

Gregory Conley, President of the American Vaping Association, issued the following statement:

"Without action by Congress, the FDA’s proposed regulations threaten to ban 99%-plus of vapor products currently available on the market. This would be a disaster not only for thousands of small businesses, but also public health.

"This proposal does not remove the FDA’s ability to regulate vapor products. The FDA will retain the authority to immediately move forward with science-based product standards, disclosure requirements, and many other measures. Anyone who claims that this bill would somehow render the FDA toothless is either not familiar with the law or not being forthright.

“We are thrilled to see movement on this issue. Clear evidence is emerging from around the world that vapor products are helping smokers quit. It is unconscionable to effectively ban the sale of tens of thousands of vapor products while leaving combustible cigarettes freely available.”

You can learn more about AVA and vaping by visiting the AVA website http://vaping.info/. You can also find us on Facebook and Twitter.

About the American Vaping Association:

The American Vaping Association is a nonprofit organization that advocates for small- and medium-sized businesses in the rapidly growing vaping and electronic cigarette industry. We are dedicated to educating the public and government officials about financial and public health benefits offered by vapor products, which are battery-powered devices that heat a liquid nicotine or nicotine-free solution and create an inhalable vapor.

3 Likes

Finally some good news for Vapers and Vapor Shops. Hopefully this is going to stop the unwarranted actions of the FDA. Let’s not sell to minors, Let’s label it correctly, and Let’s Vape On…

3 Likes

This is super if they succeed. Finally a step in the RIGHT direction for e-cigs. I have a feeling the FDA will ban flavors from e-liquids if they’re able to, but those of us in DIY shouldn’t have a problem.

I’ve said it before, I’ll say it again because I sincerely believe it…Prohibition doesn’t work. Other solutions need to be found. Regulation? If it is reasonable, sure. Appropriate taxation? Yeah, why not. Everything else is. An across the board ban? You’re just asking for trouble, hurting public health, and costing taxpayers tons of money to enforce it.

4 Likes