New to forum, Considering switching to RBA

Holy spit, that is an excellent shop! I’m saving that. Lmfao.

2 Likes

I’m going to take back one of my remarks. The tfv4 is a wicking nightmare. The first wicking wasn’t bad, but have done 4 since then (a new onr every day) to try to fixe this issue. Which is insane throat but. I was convinced it was the 12mg nicotine Im still using from when i had been using the pre made coil assembly’s. But occasionally I get a good hit that doesn’t burn the hell out of my throat on the exhale. I just did a pancake wick, have done every other type of wick specific to this tank and cannot figure out what the problem is. HELP! I’m ready to just but buy a new tank to start over on these rba builds.

Are you in temp control?
What wire are you using and have you set the tc up?

Whatever wire came pre installed on the deck so safe to assume kanthol. Believe its pretty small gauge wrapped around 1/16 when i stuck a drill bit in to check (from what i remember), and no the unit was a gift, I didn’t receive any instruction manual. Ive tried to find one on the net but not much luck. So i don’t know much about t.c mode or how to use it. It’s at .74 ohm 25 watt and 4.3 volts. Volts auto adjust to ohm reading. Occasionally I get a hit that is fantastic with flavor and no burning. Again this is a burning sensation on the exhale not really anything noticeable on the inhale.

Exact same coil.

From memory it is 304 ss (not 100%sure) that is not relevant if you are not in tc.Burning on the exhale is something new - I have never got that from wicking before usually if you get a bad wick and burning it is on the inhale and you notice it.

I assume you have tried a different juice or even an unflavoured 80 vg mix just to knock the juice out of the equation.

What cotton are you using is is a cotton pad?

Maybe it’s warm on the inhale nothing that bothers me, but is very uncomfortable on the exhale. I can’t imagine if it we’re to hot it would burn more on inhale than exhale. Again very seldomly It is amazing with flavor and nothing out of the ordinary. Along with that is a lack in taste which is pretty much a complete lack in taste, not really specifically a burnt taste, just hurts my throat on the exhale. It’s almost to the point where it gives me a sore irritated throat. Every time i take it apart there is nothing burnt or out of the ordinary. Wick is perfectly fine, maybe a bit darker form the heat. I use space jam andromeda which is a little darker, high v.g blend. It’s almost like what a dry hit is like, but there is nothing dry about my wick. Have tried tighter and looser wicking also. Maybe not lose enough? I have no idea.

Using a plain cotton ball right now. Thought the wicking that came with could have been an issue. Any chance at all it could be that high nicotine with this rba. Wasn’t an issue with pre made.coils.

Muted flavour generally means a loose wick.

Oh a cotton ball as in a bathroom supply cotton ball may have a bleach or other chemicals in it (unless it says organic in which case it shouldnt) - do you have any other cotton

You will get a bigger nic hit from an rba but again you would notice the throat hit on the inhale.

Like I said occasionally i get a hit that’s perfectly normal, so that adds another variable. About 90% of my hits suck.

I feel like they were to right, wicking was hard to run threw. Tight or loose seemed to make no difference at all

I would be looking at the cotton balls as a first port of call

1 Like

Cotton balls was first time today, was using the cotton that came with the rba until now. No difference in the issue. Was thinking of trying some rayon. You think the cotton the manufacturer sends out is bleached and not appropriate for this?

If you are using the smok cotton that came with it that will be fine if you are using cotton balls from the bathroom that may not be fine.

Smok cotton is acting exactly the same way as the cotton ball. I can’t tell any difference whatsoever besides quality while wicking the coil.

ok you are going to have to narrow it down to see if it is the juice or the wick try some unflavoured vg/pg in the tank and see if you get the same sensation - change one thing at a time untill you work out what it is - sorry cant be much more help without you narrowing the cause down

1 Like

I’m thinking it’s between the way the high nicotine is reacting to the higher heat with the rba, wicking which seems fair to me that i ruled that out but maybe not. It’s giving me a sore throat, so may also be safe to say its possibly a heat thing. The badness of it seems to subside slightly if I close the airflow off and act like I’m priming the wicking in between hits as well as a slight increase in flavor. With it starting to give me a sore throat i seem to be leaning towards a overheating issue or nicotine content. But finding the wick unburnt and getying a hit thats perfectly normal and these issues starting the first handful of hits with brand new cotton is puzzling.

Recebtly quitting smoking about a week ago maybe I’m jist not noticing much on inhale as my throat may still be “conditioned”. Doesn’t burn my mouth or tounge.

i have to step out for a little bit but will be back later - try some unflav juice (no nicno flav) and see if you get the same feeling. An rba will produce a lot more vapour that a stock coil - i recommend that you cut your nic in half with an rba ymmv but if you get no reaction from the unflav then it is the juice/ nic you need to look at