Novice DIYer concerned by recent thread

yes, i know. but that bill was fabricated by the dem house.

4 Likes

True dat :+1:I just have a severe dislike for politicians of any ilk. Including disingenuous supposedly democratic political systems that allow bills to be slipped into 6000 page documents

7 Likes

Bro, most people have no idea what is going on, not only in this country, but most of them.

6 Likes

Care to elaborate? I’ve been on a buying frenzy since the vape mail ban was announced, so what’s more money? {cough}

4 Likes

20 minutes. I got a whole 20 freaking minutes of relief before you replied. Now I’m back to running around like a chicken with its legs cut off.

I was freaking out after reading the replies so I’d gone to the vendor’s site which is when I noticed the two shipping options. That’s when I called. The person I spoke to said at the end of the month they won’t be able to ship USPS and will be shipping UPS. That sounds like a contradiction of everything I’ve heard, but I’ve never seen UPS as a shipping option on their site before. :confused:

I don’t think there’s anyone that’s still selling Nic. I have no idea how many year’s worth I’ve got. Considering what I’m reading, I think my best option may be to make my first (several dozen?) tries to be Nic-free. It now seems like Nic is more precious than Spice.

4 Likes

Nope. The local vape shop is turning into a head shop! If I want to vape CBD I’ll be able to buy that, but that’s it.

5 Likes

First, we need to clarify one of your misunderstandings:

What I actually said was:

This was in direct response to the issue of the thread’s OP whinging about not being able to clone a commercial liquid in short order (minimal time and/or effort).

I was simply pointing out that that it takes time and effort (many attempts) to create an ideal version of something.

You can have a good or even potentially ‘great’ (depending on your personal definition of such) liquid with far less effort than my example, and I basically said as much…

I would also like to add that I have a variety of recipes that I’m able to mix up that didn’t take anywhere near as much time to create, and are very enjoyable.

The one example above was a personal labor of love (because I very much enjoy a good rich butterscotch, and because there weren’t any on the market), and I spent a LOT of time and effort intentionally, because I wanted to have it be the absolute best I could make it, with what was available at the time.

So, there were several factors playing into that recipe. The most important of which being that it was my “personal unicorn.”
Unseen and other butterscotch recipes just didn’t compare (for me, and what I wanted out of it) at the time.

It could just as easily be revisited, and tweaked for more current flavors (and new brands) that have come into play since then. As well as the fact that one of the core flavors (MF BS) has changed since that recipe was released.

But things like this (a flavor having changed, or new brands coming in to being) are only learned with time and experience. So again, you should try and take knowledge where you can, but don’t panic.

The initial DIY learning curve can be steep. (no pun intended)
So, best to focus on the basics for the first 6mos to a year.

You didn’t.
Whatever you bought will be your learning flavors, and everyone needs to start somewhere.

Please don’t panic thanks to one thread (especially when it starts with someone who got off on the wrong DIY foot of having incorrect expectations, incorrect understanding of what DIY is, as well as a massive combative chip on their shoulder thanks to making incorrect assumptions.)

Now, you have added some great information already:

So it’s a great thing that you got a competent and friendly sales person to help you identify the fact that you need to be mixing 50/50 or even, up to 70vg/30pg liquid.

That’s one huge hurdle out of the way. :thumbsup:

A few of us mentioned that point. And I agree with you, that in your case, you may well benefit from those older recipes (which I also tried to explain to the OP in their thread).

Even though they don’t see the benefit of older recipes, you might.
In fact, from what you describe, if asked, I would probably suggest that you start off with recipes here that are in the 15%-22% total flavor ranges.

There’s one thing I really want to impress upon you (and other ‘lurkers’ yet to come out of the woodwork): the main reason ABOVE ALL, and that is easily overlooked, dismissed, or even forgotten sometimes, is that it’s called DIY for a reason!

It’s to meet YOUR needs, YOUR goals, YOUR level of understanding, YOUR willingness to invest the time and effort, and to meet the needs of YOUR taste buds and YOUR body!

Looking for help/guidance/direction is always a wise choice for information, but don’t let it outweigh the other (higher factors) of the needs you have to meet your own goals.

In DIY, you should ALWAYS come first.
Experience will come with time, and learning by doing.

11 Likes

Thanks for that clarification. I have no wish to clone a recipe. I’ll be happy with some nice Fruity vapes, and a few Savory and Dessert juices.

You’ve got that backward. I wouldn’t be able to taste anything with the VG that high. The PG has to be around 70% or else I just taste this kind of gross syrup. I thought that was because I was new to vaping, so a couple of years ago I tried vaping some of my neighbor’s juice, and nope, still syrup. :nauseated_face: I’m just cursed with a really weird/insensitive palate. :crying_cat_face:

That’s like the best thing I’ve read all day! LOL I was kinda hoping that when I read the part about them being over-flavored. I asked a short time ago on another forum about boosting recipes (since I have always had to order e-juice with flavor shots), I was told that I would have to do it on a flavor-by-flavor basis rather than increasing the % of the whole recipe. With my diminished palate I have really dreaded doing single flavor testing. I am really hoping that I will have luck with these older, over-flavored recipes.

I don’t know if this additional information helps at all. I’m a loose-MTL/RDL vaper. I’m vaping on RTAs as well as Boost Plus pods and the Zeus Nanos which use the same coils.

btw, you totally nailed it when you described me as a ‘lurker.’ I’ve been reading posts on here and Reddit for years, but was never brave enough to commit to DIY until forced to by the vape mail ban. I’m so glad the government is Saving the Kids, yadda-yadda.

6 Likes

Welcome and glad you joined.

8 Likes

Signed by the Republican Senate and Trump …You are right @FL_Vaper the attack on Vaping had been bi partisan … This political shit goes round and round and round and doesnt help a single person who Vapes…

You should be fine . I get that its stressful and there are alot of opinions but that is all they are …The reason a lot of the early mixes are top rated is because people actually took the time to rate recipes and there were not thousands of mixers in the beginning releasing recipes…Vaping as a whole has come a long way . Getting into DIY right now is a great time and nrw mixers are lucky IMO . Alot of the flavor comapnies make concentrates that are so well rounded they need veryittle help unlike early concentrates where you had to stick multiple flavora to have a complete flavor etc …Now making a complete recipe with just a few flavors is easy . Grab some of your fave eliquid just to be safe but get into DIY its fun and there are a lot of good mixers that will take the time to help you develope things you like…Get some Nicotine the other components will always be available

8 Likes

First, thanks for correcting me, as well as clarifying.

Second, the further info definitely sheds additional light on your particular situation.

You are definitely going to have a unique road to travel (in your DIY journey).
You are in the minority when it comes to being in a group that requires high PG.
The reason I put this in bold, is because I can’t emphasize enough how much this will likely affect almost every aspect of your mixing.

From having being able to find mixers (who are in the same boat, and hopefully share their recipes), to having to establish your baseline needs (for single flavors, so that you can get an idea later how much of an adjustment you may need to make when looking at a “normal” [read as: more common] recipe), to finding your overall minimum % of flavor for a recipe.

For example: if the typical use of Cap VC v1 is 6% as a single flavor (or SF), are you ok with that? Or are you going to need to bump it up? And if so, to what %?

Learning (and being able to apply) little things like that will be some of the biggest help in being able to adapt other people’s recipes.

Same for overall percentages.
If you find someone who mixes for an 8% total flavor target, and you need 20%, you still need to be able to maintain the balance.
(Big Yay for the calculator helping there! lol)
But my point is, you also need to know what your cutoffs are (min. to taste, and max. for where things start to go ‘weird’/chemically).

My biggest concern for you though, is developing an allergy/sensitivity to PG.
As while it makes it easier to taste/smell your vape, it’s been reported (on rare occasion) to develop sensitivity to it over time.

The other big thing about being heavy on the PG is you need to get in the habit of drinking a LOT of water (if you don’t already).
PG will dehydrate you quicker than you may realize.

8 Likes

under duress.

3 Likes

I don’t expect to find many (if any) recipes targeted at high PG users. High or Max VG has been taken over, which is why there is now only one vendor I can order from. People just don’t want high PG any longer.

But are you saying that I’m going to have to do single flavor testing on every one of my concentrates?

You lost me there. I completely understand the calculators since I’ve played around with them to adjust volume and PG/VG ratios. But I guess my confusion relates to an earlier question I had that remains unanswered, sort of. To “boost” a recipe, is it done on a flavor by flavor basis, or are all flavors increased by the same % equally?

I’ve been vaping at this level of PG for 4-5? (I’ve lost track, tbh) years now and so far have no problems. I looked into PDO several years ago when I was making juice from these sort of One Shots from MBV. I had people on IRC voice the same concerns, but I could only find PDO meant for cosmetics.

LOL! The only thing I drink is water. I’ve got a 64oz flask that I lug around with me everywhere. People think it’s strange that I don’t drink coffee or anything else with caffeine (and that I lug around a flask that could be wielded as a weapon in a pinch). :smile_cat:
Dehydration – Not an issue.
Finding a (clean) public restroom… :grimacing:

6 Likes

so, there are no vape shops anywhere within a reasonable driving distance ?
what is the closest big city to you ?

3 Likes

here is a nic calculator.

Vaping Community e-liquid Calculator - Vapocalypse Calculator

3 Likes

Very well written and explained @Sprkslfly.

5 Likes

Agreed. Pffffft …

:frowning:

5 Likes

Why are you asking, for juice, hardware, supplies of some kind?

The nearest vaguely large city is an hour away. But if you mean a real city, then that’d be around 2 hours away. I live kind of in the boonies. A situation many vapers find themselves in, I’m sure.

4 Likes

i am asking because those shops will be your backup, and perhaps your only resource.

oh, and sinse you live in the boonies, you are used to driving distances to get stuff. so while 2 hours drive can suck, you can lump other tasks in with it to optimize your time and effort.

3 Likes

Thanks for that. I was right when I said earlier I should make my first few several dozen mixes sans Nic. I have limited freezer space so had to buy Nic accordingly. I’m storing most in a friend’s freezer.

I envy people who have deep freezers and are stocked up through the 22nd century. I’ll barely make it 5 years. And that’s if I just mix for myself. I’ve got a neighbor who didn’t even know about the ban. He buys from the local shop that wasn’t telling customers about the ban. (How messed up is that?) I was going to mix for him, but he vapes 24mg. (sorry neighbor, but you’re on your own) :slightly_frowning_face:

6 Likes